Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Let's keep this thread specific to flight and travel information. For those members who are OMNI-enabled and wish to discuss political or non-travel/flight aspects of this, they may do so at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1778571-military-coup-turkey.html We'd request that such posts not take place in this Turkish Airlines thread. Thanks.

------
IST Airport is open again and TK flights are arriving and departing. US flights remain cancelled. TK have extended the following waiver:

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 – 20 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)

disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.
What to do if you want to change plans outside the waiver?

You are out of luck. If the flights are operating you will not get a refund or be able to change flights for free. You may wish to check the conditions of your travel insurance. If your country advises against travel to Turkey your travel insurance may cover the costs, however currently neither the US, UK or any EU countries have such advisories.

If your journey involves a TK flight to/from the US these are currently banned. You should be able to change these or get a refund by contacting the airline. This will only apply while the FAA ban is in operation.

As of July 16, the USA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. Knowledgeable sources indicate flights should restart on 20 July.

Other airports, including SAW, are operating relatively normal.

Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

News is now coming from all the news outlets.

How will this affect current and future flights?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:38 pm

According to reports all flights cancelled. Not sure if that is a reliable report.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
fantastic.... my upcoming trip via Turkey reserves every day a surprise....
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

From friends in Istanbul, as of one minute ago:

State TV has been shut down. Both bridges on Bosphorus were blocked on one way (from Asia to Europe) by the military personnel. Turkish Armed Forces officially confirmed the action.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I'd switch to this thread if I were you. Might throw something up along the way. If it is a coup then I think it is fairly certain the airport will be closed down. But who knows.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'd switch to this thread if I were you.
Not everyone has Omni access. We need to keep practical information here about flight ops. But thank you for the link, I'll definitely look there. We have many friends in Istanbul.

Well this is annoying. TK didn't let me rebook my flight after the bombings, and now I've got less than 24 hours to figure out if it's safe to fly through there.

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'd switch to this thread if I were you. Might throw something up along the way. If it is a coup then I think it is fairly certain the airport will be closed down. But who knows.
BBC reporting IST airport is closed, and arriving flights are being forced into circling.

SL
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is a bunch more military and police related flight activity around Istanbul right now. Can't imagine they will want to maintain all the normal civilian aviation traffic volume until they either go back to the proverbial barracks or feel comfortable with their level of seized control. [And the police and military aren't all on the same side, as one is sort of closer to the government than the other.]

Holding patterns and restricted air route and runway usage is "typical" (as much as that can be said) for this kind of situation.

Tanks and other military assets placed at and around IST indeed.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:59 pm

Twitter is saying that there are tanks and AA guns at the airport now =/
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
It's surreal looking at the IST airport map on FlightAware. You can see several of the arriving flights have turned around.

Look at BA680: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW680/history/20160715/1645Z/EGLL/LTBA
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:02 pm

Friends in Istanbul are reporting that they are confined to their homes and the roads are closed.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:07 pm

Flight radar showing ground vehicles at IST which look like tanks? TK flights are arriving, other airlines appear to be in holding pattern.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by gobears293
It's surreal looking at the IST airport map on FlightAware. You can see several of the arriving flights have turned around.

Look at BA680: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...645Z/EGLL/LTBA
Considering what happened to BA 149 in Kuwait in 1990, there's no way BA lands at IST right now. Probably don't have the fuel to make it back to London, guessing they're working to figure out where they can land for now.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Bursa 10.21 normal traffic and rail services currently, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.