Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Let's keep this thread specific to flight and travel information. For those members who are OMNI-enabled and wish to discuss political or non-travel/flight aspects of this, they may do so at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1778571-military-coup-turkey.html We'd request that such posts not take place in this Turkish Airlines thread. Thanks.

------
IST Airport is open again and TK flights are arriving and departing. US flights remain cancelled. TK have extended the following waiver:

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 – 20 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)

disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.
What to do if you want to change plans outside the waiver?

You are out of luck. If the flights are operating you will not get a refund or be able to change flights for free. You may wish to check the conditions of your travel insurance. If your country advises against travel to Turkey your travel insurance may cover the costs, however currently neither the US, UK or any EU countries have such advisories.

If your journey involves a TK flight to/from the US these are currently banned. You should be able to change these or get a refund by contacting the airline. This will only apply while the FAA ban is in operation.

As of July 16, the USA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. Knowledgeable sources indicate flights should restart on 20 July.

Other airports, including SAW, are operating relatively normal.

Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq
Print Wikipost

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:56 am

There was no food/water in the lounge?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:59 am

Just managed to get my family member home. He tried to book to another flight at IST but the counters had no staff, until well into the afternoon (when airport was presumably back to normal at 6.30 am).

Some of those elderly and those with children could hardly get anywhere close to the counter due to the massive crowd.

Eventually,i helped him to make a new booking for the same sector he was trying to get re-booked into.

Many passengers feel completely let down.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
This sounds absolutely dreadful. For me the most shocking part is how TK and their staff have completely abandoned their passengers. Apparently nobody at TK has a sense of duty of care. I heard from several sources that staff abandoned their positions and left passengers without information, support, food and water.

The standard operating procedure with TK in case of problems appear to run. I can't imagine how frightening this might have been for the thousands of passengers at IST on that night.

TK throw big money at sports sponsorship (remember the Euros?) and advertising. All of that now wasted.

This is not the first time TK have failed in such dramatic fashion. A similar situation played out during the attack on IST recently.

Yes a coup is not a regular occurrence but a company and its staff shows their credentials in a true crisis. TK have failed miserably and have shown itself up as an appalling outfit.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
We're flying OTP-IST tomorrow evening with a couple hour layover in IST and then early morning flight to JNB. This afternoon's OTP-IST went out a little late and this morning's IST-JNB flight went out left 3 hrs late. But at least they're moving. Hopefully should be back to close to normal by the time we fly. We're on award tickets through UA and there is no other way to get five of us down to JNB at this point, so hoping for the best.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:58 am

Coup + Travel Insurance = ?

I'm mostly posting this because I'm impatient to wait until tomorrow, and want to see what people think here. I am supposed to fly to IST on Friday for a family visit/vacation via TK. Don't know what's going to be by then, and the not knowing the fate of our trip is painful right now! Even if they do resume flights from US, I imagine the system may be completely backed up by Friday still, and I don't know if I want to even deal with this. We're traveling with two young children and that changes the equation a lot.

So... I purchased travel insurance a week or two ago that includes trip cancellation. The insurance company has not yet released a position on this event - they said probably tomorrow. The policy has exclusions for civil war, and a lot of other similar sounding cases, but it does have coverage for terrorism. I'm very curious what their position on this would be. It's not really a civil war, and it's not really terrorism either. I've always purchased travel insurance, but never filed a claim so far. This seems like exactly the kind of unexpected thing you'd buy the insurance for, so if it's not covered it will be very frustrating!

Thoughts?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by hominamad
I'm mostly posting this because I'm impatient to wait until tomorrow, and want to see what people think here. I am supposed to fly to IST on Friday for a family visit/vacation via TK. Don't know what's going to be by then, and the not knowing the fate of our trip is painful right now! Even if they do resume flights from US, I imagine the system may be completely backed up by Friday still, and I don't know if I want to even deal with this. We're traveling with two young children and that changes the equation a lot.

So... I purchased travel insurance a week or two ago that includes trip cancellation. The insurance company has not yet released a position on this event - they said probably tomorrow. The policy has exclusions for civil war, and a lot of other similar sounding cases, but it does have coverage for terrorism. I'm very curious what their position on this would be. It's not really a civil war, and it's not really terrorism either. I've always purchased travel insurance, but never filed a claim so far. This seems like exactly the kind of unexpected thing you'd buy the insurance for, so if it's not covered it will be very frustrating!

Thoughts?
It may depend on the exact wording of your insurance.

Here's a sample from one insurance provider

We will not cover you for any claim arising from, or consisting of, the following: War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war is declared or not) civil war, civil commotion, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military force, coup d’etat, weapons of mass destruction.
Sadly it would not be unheard of for insurers trying to weasel out of cover.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold

That is pretty much the language in my policy. I will post back here what happens.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist

We are in the same boat wrt travel insurance. It's unconscionable to me that they are waiting on the semantics of the coup before offering coverage. Our flight is on Tuesday, and I don't have time to wait and see how this will play out with our insurance. In our case "terrorism" is covered, but a coup is not necessarily. My husband found this online from the Prime Minister, "'It was not an uprising together with the Turkish command, it was a terrorist uprising,' Mr Yildirim said." I'm hoping this eliminates any ambiguity regarding our claim.

Also, fwiw, I did see on the THY.com webiste this morning that they have extended their waivers through July 20th which should cover our flights on the 19th. Still, I'll be out of pocket for 2 sets of tickets until I can get reimbursed.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:51 am

This sounds absolutely dreadful. For me the most shocking part is how TK and their staff have completely abandoned their passengers. Apparently nobody at TK has a sense of duty of care. I heard from several sources that staff abandoned their positions and left passengers without information, support, food and water.

The standard operating procedure with TK in case of problems appear to run. I can't imagine how frightening this might have been for the thousands of passengers at IST on that night.

TK throw big money at sports sponsorship (remember the Euros?) and advertising. All of that now wasted.

This is not the first time TK have failed in such dramatic fashion. A similar situation played out during the attack on IST recently.

Yes a coup is not a regular occurrence but a company and its staff shows their credentials in a true crisis. TK have failed miserably and have shown itself up as an appalling outfit.
I agree on this, granted the flights couldn't take off for various reasons. The sense of responsibility by the TK staff towards its customers is shocking.

Plenty of lessons to learn here for TK and other major airlines on handling crisis.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by nocturne14
I agree on this, granted the flights couldn't take off for various reasons. The sense of responsibility by the TK staff towards its customers is shocking.

Plenty of lessons to learn here for TK and other major airlines on handling crisis.
Looks like his flight is Tuesday, so if TK does not take off on Monday night heading to the U.S., Tuesday flights are automatically cancelled since it takes 10-14 hours to get here.

In other words, once the FAA lifts the ban, we should count at least 24 hours from that time to determine if we can fly out of the US to our destination. I am flying Friday and if the FAA ban is not lifted by Thursday, I am going to begin seeking other alternatives.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:17 am
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Are you seriously expecting TK to allow refund/free schedule changes for flights in December?

All you can do is to wait/hope for a schedule change and then call your TA (or TK if booked directly with TK) and ask for refund as the flight changes are unacceptable to you.

For those travelling next week but outside the 3-day rescheduling/cancellation period currently applied by TK, you will have wait until the period is extended. If it isn't you have to decide whether to rebook according to the fare/ticket rules, i.e. against payment of change fee and recalculation of the fare. Sorry, but that is how the game is.
SK where is the information that is posted up top and that you are referring too. is there an actual link to TK.

I fly out of LAX on the 20th and I booked my flight 5 months ago. when I finally got someone on the phone, they said no changes, cancelations or rebookings as everything is expected back to normal by tomorrow.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Call again until you get an agent aware of the extended period for refunds/rebookings (until/including 20 July now).

I doubt TK will offer rebooking OAL (i.e. you will only be allowed refund or rebooking to TK flights at a later date) unless your flights are actually cancelled (then TK will allow rebooking OAL) so I think you need to decide whether to fly Wednesday or at a later stage. Most likely TK flights will be operational on 20th July.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I for one am not surprised at all that the TK ground staff abandoned the passengers at IST and there was no information, food or water. This was pretty much the situation I encountered last summer -- during no crisis whatsoever -- when I missed a connection due to a delay and tried to get a flight rebooked. Of course, it's hard to blame individual staff members, many of whom were probably scared and worried about their safety and their families. But TK's policies from the top do seem to be worried more about optics and protecting the government's image than about protecting passengers.

It's quite a long way out, but I have a KTM-IST-YUL flight booked this coming November with a 20+ hour layover. It's on Aeroplan, and I'm wondering if I should call them up and see about possible re-routing options, or if I should just wait and see how the situation unfolds?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:22 pm

7/18 ath-ist-ord

I went to the Athens Airport today to speak to a representative in person about my 7/18 ATH-IST-ORD booking. They had plastic chairs set up all around the counter in a line like fashion. Once I finally got to the counter I was told there was nothing they could do other than refund my money or book at a later date until TK actually cancels the flight. She said I could return to the airport to rebook once the flight is cancelled or I can call the call center to be routed OAL. I left unsatisfied.

Fast forward....7/18 TK 5 IST-ORD has been cancelled for July 18th. I finally got through to the call center and they told me they do not have the ability to book OAL and that I would have to go to a sales center or the airport to rebook. I then asked where they were located in Athens. Of course the only option here is at the airport, where they are currently closed, and will be until 7:30am. By this time I will have missed the flight that I need to be on to make any sort of reasonable connection.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by segacs
I for one am not surprised at all that the TK ground staff abandoned the passengers at IST and there was no information, food or water. This was pretty much the situation I encountered last summer -- during no crisis whatsoever -- when I missed a connection due to a delay and tried to get a flight rebooked. Of course, it's hard to blame individual staff members, many of whom were probably scared and worried about their safety and their families. But TK's policies from the top do seem to be worried more about optics and protecting the government's image than about protecting passengers.

It's quite a long way out, but I have a KTM-IST-YUL flight booked this coming November with a 20+ hour layover. It's on Aeroplan, and I'm wondering if I should call them up and see about possible re-routing options, or if I should just wait and see how the situation unfolds?
You have nothing to worry about as the restriction (currently to/from US) doesn't apply to Canada, flights are already running (YYZ), although delayed by a few hours yesterday.

As for situation now at IST, even with status and lounge access I can't imagine things getting any better, they probably run out of food in the lounge and airside restaurants by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.