Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Worth flying through IST to go to western europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by nacho
The worst part about flying to the US with TK is the extra security at IST. Back in Dec. they asked us for the printed version for the ESTA and e-tickets - why on earth do they need that? I said I don't have a print out but they should be able to check in their system.

Then ALL our bags were deeply searched and padded from top to toe - this happens to EVERYONE with kids. We were stuck at the gate to wait for Mr. to get checked before we can go on board.
YMMV

My experience is minimal security.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus/EK Skywards Gold/Skyteam Elite
I remember the time I had no status, with long connections. If I did not want to go sightseeing, here's what I did - I headed out to the bar/restaurant called The Copper's Point (near WOW hotels, 5 min from the airport). It is quite nice, good food/drinks, bowling, pool (I mean billiards), chess boards etc. There is a place next door where you can smoke nargile. Time went by quickly. There are, of course, paid lounges, like HSBC, but they are real rubbish.
In any case, when I remember I was stuck at SAW or SOF T1 for 6 hrs, believe me, IST is not that bad after all!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
It's worth flying thru IST of you have the best fare with them and Star Gold status. I don't mind spending time in the CIP Lounge.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:38 pm

Or try a very long connection/stopover, book a night in a hotel in the old town, and enjoy Istambul.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by duvin
YMMV

My experience is minimal security.
Transfer security at IST is essentially theatre. I'm assuming (hoping)
there is a deeper, targeted, profiling programme running in the background.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Transfer security at IST is essentially theatre. I'm assuming (hoping)
there is a deeper, targeted, profiling programme running in the background.
Well we can now expect even more theater at IST because of the suicide attack on Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.