Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience of Foreigners with M&S Gold

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Experience of Foreigners with M&S Gold

I am thinking of migrating over to M&S from A3. I am currently living in Canada and like the relatively easy gold status and renewal. A3 though is pretty useless to me in terms of actually using my miles, so i am thinking of moving to M&S, since I actually do fly Turkish a decent amount.

I wanted to know though, what the experience of people actually using their miles for bookings is? I looked at some of the threads and it did not seem overly positive and seemed to require some phone calls, which from Canada may not be so practical.

Any thoughts on throwing in my lot with M&S??

Thank in advance!
Old May 31, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
My understanding is that redeeming your M&S miles for TK flights is pretty straightforward. It can be done online and even via their mobile app.

Should you however contemplate using your M&S miles for flights operated by the Star Alliance partners, it sounds like a nightmare dealing with TK.

I call TK a lot, they have a North American toll free number so at least that is not too bad.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
We had one experience with TK Taiwan office. It was two years ago when the office was just opened. The agent wasn't very familiar with the amount of miles required for Asia regional A+ ticket when I spoke to her over the phone. She had to look up the information and took quite a long time.
When we went to the office to make the fee payment, it still took a long time to issue the ticket.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If you are not booking *A award flights then you should be ok to be with M&S. Once my forex fee free card is not accepted for online payment and I contacted CPH ticket office and they said they will take a fee of DKK 300 for each transaction.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by airoli
I call TK a lot, they have a North American toll free number so at least that is not too bad.
Can you point me to that number please!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:18 am

THY.com => Contact us => USA => Call Center:
1-800-874-8875
@:-)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
1-800-874-8875
This number basically just directs you to the call center in Turkey. So the service will be just as bad.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
This number basically just directs you to the call center in Turkey. So the service will be just as bad.
I never claimed that the North American number will give any better service. All I said is that it is not required to call long-distance to Turkey (e.g. to the dedicated +90 M&S Gold number).
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
1-800-874-8875
Thank you Sir!

I agree it is better than paying for a trunk call.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
My understanding is that redeeming your M&S miles for TK flights is pretty straightforward. It can be done online and even via their mobile app.

Should you however contemplate using your M&S miles for flights operated by the Star Alliance partners, it sounds like a nightmare dealing with TK.

I echo this. Its awesome when you're booking online--pretty good redemptions for a fantastic product. However, if you try to use it with *A--good luck
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:01 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
the good thing is if your lucky you will get someone useful on the TK call center side. lol chances are they will be bad. its good to be consistent. lol

I've struggled using my miles to upgrade to business from CC. success rate of about 50%. wish it was higher. but I might be luckier than others, don't know the odds.
if you speak turkish I have a feeling it will be easier to deal on the phone. I will attempt to use the LA office this time and see if I have better luck.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:00 pm

I've surprisingly had a couple of good interactions with Turkish reps on the phone recently, although they have mostly just directed me to filling out the online feedback forms, but at least they can check the status of previously submitted forms.

I've also had pretty good interactions with my local office for buying award tickets, although the process is annoying (fill out 2 forms, submit passport copy and Elite card copy) and they seem to be checking every availability manually, and have even quoted me incorrect mileages before. For example, even if I see that 2 different routings are available, waiting to get the amount of taxes with each + bookings + submitting forms + confirmation is a multi-day process.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies. So seems in a nutshell that you do get your gold status without issues, but outside of redeeming for flights on Turkish, you will likely not have great results....

Thanks again, I think I will likely go this option, as I can't really think of any better.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I am also in your situation, was still thinking about going for A3 requalification but just in time with their credit cuttings on a lot of airlines I decided to instead go for TK *G.

I am maybe optimistic, but I give them 3 years from now on to improve their systems, webpage and be able to finally book a *A flight award somehow
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Can't agree more. M&S is perfectly fine in all respects - other than *A award tickets. Even *A upgrades work very well, obviously you have to follow *A rules, i.e. have a paid ticket in (high) fare classes. So basically I'm using my M&S miles for travel on TK and *A upgrades.

If you don't have the opportunity to do so, you're out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.