Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No security check during transfer at IST

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by sliiide
Why do they do it? turkey is not in the schengen area.

It hasn't happened to me when I've flown EDI-iST-CMB this year - both times.
Because they already cleared security in VIE.It is the same with FRA.
TK is considering some countries as safe so a security check for transfer passengers isn't required any more.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by moeser
Because they already cleared security in VIE.It is the same with FRA.
TK is considering some countries as safe so a security check for transfer passengers isn't required any more.
Basically IST considers the security at some airports to be inadequate? It's not like the passenger exits the airport between screening at the departure airport and the security line for transit passengers at IST.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by sliiide
Basically IST considers the security at some airports to be inadequate? It's not like the passenger exits the airport between screening at the departure airport and the security line for transit passengers at IST.
Wouldn't you either ?
Old May 25, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
I believe you are right, but why isn't it consequent? For example when you fly from Scandinavia (ARN, OSL, CPH). Sometimes you have to go through security, other times you don't
Old May 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Wouldn't you either ?
I trust the passengers
Old May 26, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by aulrik
I believe you are right, but why isn't it consequent? For example when you fly from Scandinavia (ARN, OSL, CPH). Sometimes you have to go through security, other times you don't
The explanation I got ( I have often flights to / from Helsinki ) is that you usually need a finger position i.e.FRA to enjoy the benefit.HEL is always bus transfer.

I'll have a HEL outbound beginning of June and will report back if some thing has changed.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
The explanation I got ( I have often flights to / from Helsinki ) is that you usually need a finger position i.e.FRA to enjoy the benefit.HEL is always bus transfer.
That might be a plausible explanation and I guess it makes sense too. If I think about it, the times I have avoided security at IST it has always been when the plane parked at a gate, while when being bused to the terminal you always have to go through security.
Old May 26, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by aulrik
That might be a plausible explanation and I guess it makes sense too. If I think about it, the times I have avoided security at IST it has always been when the plane parked at a gate, while when being bused to the terminal you always have to go through security.
After TPJs experience they might have extended this to PAX with bus transfer as well.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:06 am

HEL- IST-XXX.

No SECO.

Bus transfer to the 300 gates.BP check at the escalator than upstairs and in the Lounge 10 min.later.

I could get used to it
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:02 am

I flew JFK-IST-ATH and return this past month. On my way there, I was supposed to have a transfer of just 1 hour. But for some reason (never got an explanation why, IST-JFK was ontime) the JFK-IST flight was delayed for around 3 hours so I was re-booked on the next TK IST-ATH before I even got to the airport. This now gave me about a 5 hour layover. When I got to IST there was no one at the gate for transfers. Everyone was led to the same area. Went through security, but it wasn't busy at all at that time.

On my way back, I had about an hour and a half transfer. This time someone was waiting at the jet bridge from my ATH flight. There was a split in the jet bridge for baggage claim and international transfers. A woman stood in front of international transfers asking to see boarding passes. We didn't have to go through any additional screening when we went through the international transfers split.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:26 am
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
security was in place after landing from LAX. finally saw the sign for business and *G so it was a quick going through this time.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
Was very surprised to be dropped off at a gate at IST and straight into the terminal this weekend from a flight from BRU. All my flights with transfer at IST so far this year came from AMS or RTM and meant being bused AND a security check. From my point of view the security checks at AMS and RTM are a lot more strict than those at BRU...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Canada freak
Was very surprised to be dropped off at a gate at IST and straight into the terminal this weekend from a flight from BRU. All my flights with transfer at IST so far this year came from AMS or RTM and meant being bused AND a security check. From my point of view the security checks at AMS and RTM are a lot more strict than those at BRU...
Same experience a few weeks ago, I've taken NCE-IST a few times, and was bussed to the terminal door beyond security just the last time. It seems it's really not systematic (though I sure hope it will become !), so coming from a "clean" destination such as Europe is probably a necessary condition, and not (yet) a sufficient one.

As a side note, i was in the smaller bus that leaves before, I am not sure whether the pax on the other bus got the security or not !
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:27 am

Inconsistent

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
It seems it's really not systematic (though I sure hope it will become !), so coming from a "clean" destination such as Europe is probably a necessary condition, and not (yet) a sufficient one.
I concur. Arrived from TLV last night, gate 214, 16 minutes late, no shortcut to the transfer area. BUT security was a breeze.

Shuly
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
HEL- IST-XXX.

No SECO.

Bus transfer to the 300 gates.BP check at the escalator than upstairs and in the Lounge 10 min.later.
LHR-IST-BKK

Ditto

Going BKK-IST-LHR on the outward there was full security, quite a queue and no priority lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.