Search

Price for last-minute upgrade to J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Price for last-minute upgrade to J

Hi everyone,

I have a CPT-IST-LJU flight scheduled on TK tomorrow (so in less than 24h). Both segments are in restricted T economy fare class (only 70% on A3).

I called our local TK office a couple of weeks ago and asked how much it would cost to upgrade and they said about 1350€.

I called TK directly yesterday and it was still 1350€ but the agent said that it might be cheaper at the airport.

I called again just now and the agent said the price is 675€ - so about 50% cheaper.

What do you think? Do you think there are chances that the price might be even lower tomorrow morning or at the airport?

And a second question: if I buy the upgrade, will my fare class change? Meaning: will I get more miles?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

TK will quote you the fare difference from your original paid fare care to the best available price in business class. Only 24hrs before departure some stations will sell upgrades if the business cabin is still empty which is most likely why they quoted you the €675. I'd be very surprised to see a further discount, as this is probably the price they set for gate upgrades.

Please report back what price they offer you at the airport.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:20 pm

I think that if you're okay with the current offer take it now. Only basing it on some recent posts of people attempting to upgrade at the airport instead being told business is sold out when it wasn't.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
thanks guys...

called again this morning and it was still the same price = 675€ + 25€ rebooking fee.

I think you are right, everytime I called the agent was calculating the upgrade price based on my fare class.

During the night, I calculated that CPT-IST actually takes about 13 hours: CPT-JNB = 2 hours, stopover in JNB about 1,5 hours, JNB-IST = 9,5 hours.

So I just took the ticket. They confirmed the upgrade and told me I had to pay for it at the airport at least 3 hours before departure.

Also... my fare class did change and is now D, which brings 150% on A3...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
That's not a bad deal at all. Well done ^
Old Nov 8, 2023, 4:57 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
[Wrong thread]
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:55 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by greendx
I think that if you're okay with the current offer take it now. Only basing it on some recent posts of people attempting to upgrade at the airport instead being told business is sold out when it wasn't.
I have an upcoming NDJ-IST-YUL flight this weekend, I would like to only upgrade the IST-YUL flight (showing J9 etc so looks fairly empty, I know this can change quickly). Don't really trust an outstation in Tchad to process such an upgrade, is this something I can try to do in the TK lounge in IST (I am *G) during the long layover, should I go somewhere else or the chances are non-existent per your post?

Don't have voice only data although I guess I could use Skype et al. to call in
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I have an upcoming NDJ-IST-YUL flight this weekend, I would like to only upgrade the IST-YUL flight (showing J9 etc so looks fairly empty, I know this can change quickly). Don't really trust an outstation in Tchad to process such an upgrade, is this something I can try to do in the TK lounge in IST (I am *G) during the long layover, should I go somewhere else or the chances are non-existent per your post?

Don't have voice only data although I guess I could use Skype et al. to call in
The sales desk at the TK Lounge should be able to handle the upgrade.
Although note that the offer could disappear any time and the only option might be an upgrade paying the fare difference at the time you arrive at IST.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The sales desk at the TK Lounge should be able to handle the upgrade.
Although note that the offer could disappear any time and the only option might be an upgrade paying the fare difference at the time you arrive at IST.
Thank you for the reply, yes I understand. I have a pretty pricey Y ticket so the difference may be acceptable. I will report back after the weekend.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:21 am

A cash based option to upgrade the IST-YUL leg has appeared in the app for that segment, before there was only a points based choice (45K). It is quoting CAD$1500 to upgrade, would this amount include the credit from the unused portion of my economy class ticket?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
A cash based option to upgrade the IST-YUL leg has appeared in the app for that segment, before there was only a points based choice (45K). It is quoting CAD$1500 to upgrade, would this amount include the credit from the unused portion of my economy class ticket?
No, the amount displayed is the amount in addition to your Economy Class ticket and the amount that you need to pay for the upgrade.
There would be no deductions, except for if you paid to choose a seat in Economy Class, that amount would be refunded.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
CAD 1500 for upgrade YUL to IST is not a bad deal. It will not be much cheaper at the airport (based on the usual amounts to upgrade from the US).

CAD 1500 is in addition to what you paid for the Economy ticket, i.e. there is no credit.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
I got offered Casablanca - Istanbul upgrade to business cabin on Boeing 777 for 224 EUR. Would you do it?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:47 am

Problem is moot as the app says payment cannot be processed (either it does not like that I am in Tchad or that it is a travel agency issued ticket). Thanks for the quick replies, I will either try the website, call or take my chances in IST.

Tried Google Pay (with same card I have been using successfully at hotel here) or input manually, no joy.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
I got offered Casablanca - Istanbul upgrade to business cabin on Boeing 777 for 224 EUR. Would you do it?
for 3 hours flight I would not take it, unless they rebook me in D class after upgrade (what I doubt)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.