Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US couple sent wrong city not Dakar (DKR), but it say Dhaka (DAC) on TK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US couple sent wrong city not Dakar (DKR), but it say Dhaka (DAC) on TK

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by callum9999
Being an "experienced traveller" doesn't equate to being an expert traveller - it merely means you travel a lot.

Odds are this was the first time they went somewhere unfamiliar that had such a similar name to somewhere else unfamiliar. People keep going on about how they "must have seen the destination written down at some point" but that doesn't mean they didn't check it. Maybe they thought Dhaka was Dakar.

And for the second time, them making a mistake does not erase their travel history. Not everyone can be quite as perfect as you evidently are... I'm sure the person who took their booking was also experienced in their job, but they obviously made a mistake. It's what humans do...
As I have mentioned before:

1. They failed to even look over their itinerary after their phone booking.

2. They failed to even look at their itinerary during their online check in.

3. They failed to even look at their boarding passes, where the destination is clearly printed.

4. They failed to even look at the flight information signs/TV at IST, where the destination name is clearly not the same as their intended destination. And they cannot blame another language as TK signs are displayed in both Turkish and English, alternating every few seconds.

5. They failed to even look at the destination sign at boarding gate.

6. They failed to notice that they are going onboard with Bangladeshis instead of Africans.

7. They failed to listen to the destination announcement by FA and/or pilot

8. They failed to even look at the route shown on the map on their personal TV screens.

They may not have noticed the mistake on their itinerary. But to miss all the other opportunities? Especially #6 and #8?? You don't need to know how to spell to figure those ones out... Give me a break.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho
As I have mentioned before:

1. They failed to even look over their itinerary after their phone booking.

2. They failed to even look at their itinerary during their online check in.

3. They failed to even look at their boarding passes, where the destination is clearly printed.

4. They failed to even look at the flight information signs/TV at IST, where the destination name is clearly not the same as their intended destination. And they cannot blame another language as TK signs are displayed in both Turkish and English, alternating every few seconds.

5. They failed to even look at the destination sign at boarding gate.

6. They failed to notice that they are going onboard with Bangladeshis instead of Africans.

7. They failed to listen to the destination announcement by FA and/or pilot

8. They failed to even look at the route shown on the map on their personal TV screens.

They may not have noticed the mistake on their itinerary. But to miss all the other opportunities? Especially #6 and #8?? You don't need to know how to spell to figure those ones out... Give me a break.
How do you know they failed to do all those things? Though for the THIRD AND FINAL TIME, that does not mean they are not experienced travellers. I always check my itineraries but I have never made a mistake in my 100 odd flights. If I therefore didn't check my next one, I hardly think that then invalidates all travelling I've ever done in the past.

Maybe they did look at the itinerary, the boarding card, the information signs etc. etc. Though as you sound so ridiculously arrogant you'll probably refuse to believe any human with more than 2 brain cells could make such an error - but maybe they thought Dhaka was where they wanted to go? They are rather similar spellings (yes, even in English...), and when spoken by foreign people sound virtually identical. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell them apart when spoken.

They didn't "fail to look at the route map" as that's how they discovered they were going to the wrong place. Regardless, I rarely look at the route map on planes anyway - how on Earth is that "proof" that they aren't experienced travellers?

The only argument you gives that haves any merit is that they boarded with Bangladeshi people instead of Africans, but regardless, I don't always racially profile the flights I'm getting on so again, it's hardly foolproof. The only people I remember from an intra-South America flight were Europeans for example - I didn't therefore jump to the conclusion that I had boarded the wrong plane and was actually on my way up to Europe!

I'm not saying these people aren't to blame, I'm merely pointing out that not everyone is as perfect and infallible as you're claiming they are - and you no doubt are yourself...
Old May 20, 2013, 6:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I'm not saying these people aren't to blame, I'm merely pointing out that not everyone is as perfect and infallible as you're claiming they are - and you no doubt are yourself...
This is from the latimes
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...32,full.column

"Once on the ground in Bangladesh, it took about nine hours for the couple to remedy things with Turkish Airlines."
FAIR ENOUGH
IT TOOK 4 HRS TO GET THROUGH TO US DURING A SNOW STORM HERE.

"Officials with the carrier insisted that they had to track down and hear the recording of Valdivieso booking a trip to Senegal before they could acknowledge that the wrong airport code had been put on their tickets."
FAIR ENOUGH!
ALTHOUGH I WONDER IF THEY FINALLY DECIDED TO JUST GET THEM BACK OR EVER TRACKED THE PHONE CALL - UNLESS THEY MENTIONED SENEGAL I WONDER HOW TURKISH PEOPLE CAN DECIPHER LA ACCENTS.

"About 12 hours later, Turkish Airlines flew the pair back to Istanbul, where they caught a plane — the right one this time — for the six-hour trip to Dakar. There was no extra charge for the flight from Bangladesh."
FAIR ENOUGH

"The couple's bags didn't arrive in Senegal for two more days, but that seems almost trivial compared with the rest of the journey. It was, all in all, a nightmare of a trip."
DID THEY CHECK THE BAGS IN DAC FOR DKR (OR FOR DAC AGAIN!)?
I THINK I WOULD BE JUST THANKFUL I GOT BACK 1 DAY LATER WHERE I WANTED TO GO ANYWAY AND FOCUS ON THE REST OF THE HOLIDAY.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you always triple check every business transaction you make?
If I'm spending $2600, you bet! And, if I fail to check and end-up finding out something is wrong, I blame myself for not doing my due diligence.

But we aren't even talking about "triple checking". They didn't even check once -- even though the opportunity to see the error was presented to them on numerous occasions.

Honestly, my gut says there is more to this story than the passengers are saying... at least, for their sake, I hope so.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Gld HH SPG
Originally Posted by ao747
I find it hard to believe that there are people in the world who are this stupid.

These people got on the wrong flight to a different continent, and of course it is everyone's fault but their own.

"It was only then that Valdivieso and her husband looked around and realized that the plane was full of people who looked Asian, not African." Yes, of course because they boarded with blindfolds on!

Absolutely idiots. No-one to blame but themselves, and they have the cheek to try and get further compensation after the pretty nice package that TK offered them.

Some people need to be banned from leaving their own home.
Well said. Geography was NOT their forte.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:40 pm

Wouldn't an intelligent person notice on the BOARDING SIGN at the gate, where they do list the actual name and not a three-lettered abbreviation, that the city wasn't where they were headed?

But of course it has to be someone else's fault.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
ain't no cure for stoooopid!
Old May 20, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
I don't understand how this could happen if the flight destination is posted at the gate. These people are so foreign they can't read the name of their destination? Has this ever happened to anybody here?

Once my mother and I boarded a Greyhound bus to Albany. We were supposed to go to Binghamton. It was their fault. Our tickets said Binghamton, they accepted them and the correct destination wasn't posted at the gate. The bus co. rerouted us to Bing.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Years ago - on Braniff, I had to argue with a GA about flying to Panama City, Panama (PTY) when he insisted that I wanted to go to Panama City, FL. I got the right boarding pass, and arrived in Panama to find my luggage had gone to Florida.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: *A
I think TK should take very little blame here. Sure the agent issued the tickets to the wrong city, but that was a very easy mistake to make. While booking both the agent and the couple should've confirmed country, and not just city names - both at fault there.

If the couple had noticed the issue before departing and TK had refused to help, then I'd be blaming them, but with the circumstances as given I have to blame the couple. The fact that they did not bother to review their itineraries for the city name, especially after booking over the phone, didn't check the departure boards, didn't read the board as they got on the plane, didn't listen to the announcements, etc. is pretty ridiculous.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
I looked up a TK ticket receipt from about two years ago.
The receipt lists the city and country.
I don't know how they could read "Dhaka, Bangladesh" and assume that they had booked a trip to Senegal.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:57 pm

wow, i cant believe the number of people here placing blame solely on the airline. Yes, the TK phone agent made a simple error that anyone could have made. After that, there is no way that TK could have known that there is something wrong with the ticket. For those that are siding with the passengers, where do you place personal accountability? If i go to mcdonalds and order a grilled chicken sandwich, but a big mac comes out, I would immediately notify the mcdonalds employee. Another example is if I incorrectly reserve the wrong date on a plane ticket, it would be my fault, although many airlines would still try and accomodate me. I cant believe those passengers had the nerve to even contact TK for compensation after TK transported them for free. They are just out to get something for nothing.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
10607 free miles on *A shud be enough compensation..
Old May 20, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
If I'm spending $2600, you bet! And, if I fail to check and end-up finding out something is wrong, I blame myself for not doing my due diligence.

But we aren't even talking about "triple checking". They didn't even check once -- even though the opportunity to see the error was presented to them on numerous occasions.

Honestly, my gut says there is more to this story than the passengers are saying... at least, for their sake, I hope so.
My sentiments exactly. If someone is an experienced Traveler they know that mistakes are made and double and triple check the ticketing especially at payment time.

Originally Posted by laggers
Well said. Geography was NOT their forte.
You would think if someone was visiting an acquaintance you'd be checking the location online or god forbid look at an old fashioned atlas especially if it was unfamiliar.

Originally Posted by G_G
Not really or I'd be amazed

"Valdivieso, 31, who works as an academic counselor at UCLA."
What does this say about the state of higher education in the US. It's really deplorable. What exactly could this person counsel young people about?
Old May 20, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
How do you know they failed to do all those things? Though for the THIRD AND FINAL TIME, that does not mean they are not experienced travellers. I always check my itineraries but I have never made a mistake in my 100 odd flights. If I therefore didn't check my next one, I hardly think that then invalidates all travelling I've ever done in the past.

Maybe they did look at the itinerary, the boarding card, the information signs etc. etc. Though as you sound so ridiculously arrogant you'll probably refuse to believe any human with more than 2 brain cells could make such an error - but maybe they thought Dhaka was where they wanted to go? They are rather similar spellings (yes, even in English...), and when spoken by foreign people sound virtually identical. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell them apart when spoken.

They didn't "fail to look at the route map" as that's how they discovered they were going to the wrong place. Regardless, I rarely look at the route map on planes anyway - how on Earth is that "proof" that they aren't experienced travellers?

The only argument you gives that haves any merit is that they boarded with Bangladeshi people instead of Africans, but regardless, I don't always racially profile the flights I'm getting on so again, it's hardly foolproof. The only people I remember from an intra-South America flight were Europeans for example - I didn't therefore jump to the conclusion that I had boarded the wrong plane and was actually on my way up to Europe!

Experienced travellers do their homework before any flight. It is as simple as that. Checking their destination and arrival time is the most basic of all things.

callum9999 said:

Maybe they did look at the itinerary, the boarding card, the information signs etc. etc. Though as you sound so ridiculously arrogant you'll probably refuse to believe any human with more than 2 brain cells could make such an error - but maybe they thought Dhaka was where they wanted to go?
From LA Times:
The first leg of the journey went smoothly. The couple arrived in Istanbul jet-lagged but none the worse for wear. They had about four hours to kill at the Turkish airport. Then they boarded the flight for the second leg of the trip.
It's fair at this point to wonder why they were unable to spot that they were getting on the wrong plane. Valdivieso said that, in hindsight, they probably should have done more to make sure all was well.
"I guess we were just going by the flight number on our tickets, and that DAC was printed on them," she said. "You just assume that everything is correct."

They said they were just going by the flight number and assumed DAC was Dakar. Experienced travellers know that Airport codes don't often match city names. Toronto YYZ, Guangzhou CAN, Stockholm ARN, Tokyo NRT, Seoul ICN, Shanghai PVG, Chicago ORD, etc, etc, etc. It is the traveller's responsibility to double-check. They did no such thing from the booking process to their final flight. As they said, in hindsight, they probably should have done more... Well duh!!!

callum9999 said:
The only argument you gives that haves any merit is that they boarded with Bangladeshi people instead of Africans, but regardless, I don't always racially profile the flights I'm getting on so again, it's hardly foolproof.
From LA Times:
The couple quickly fell asleep. It wasn't until several hours later that they woke up and noticed the travel map on the overhead video screen showing the location of the plane. They were over the Middle East.
It was only then that Valdivieso and her husband looked around and realized that the plane was full of people who looked Asian, not African.
"That's when we knew a serious mistake had been made," she said.

Were they asleep during the boarding process? from the gate, to the walk down the jetway, to the boarding of passengers... they didn't notice that people were South-Asians instead of Africans?

If I was flying from IST to PEK, and the flight was filled with Africans instead of Chinese, I would certainly ask the flight attendant if I was on the right flight! That is simply common sense! Obviously, these two passengers did not have 2 brain cells combined!

Also, it is impossible to miss the destination sign upon boarding the plane at the gate. The destination is clearly posted in both English and Turkish. To assume that Dakar is Dhaka is simply stupid and ignorant on the part of those two passengers. It is like assuming Manila (Philippines) is the same as Manama (Bahrain) or Rome (Italy) is the same as Lomé (Togo). The signs were in plain ENGLISH & Turkish... if they cannot even read that they are boarding a flight to DHAKA instead of DAKAR, then sorry, no one else's fault but their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.