Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US couple sent wrong city not Dakar (DKR), but it say Dhaka (DAC) on TK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US couple sent wrong city not Dakar (DKR), but it say Dhaka (DAC) on TK

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A journalist's definition of "experienced travelers" may mean someone who has been on an airplane at least twice or who has a passport. TK clearly did what they could to fix this.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
Show me the way to Amarillo?

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
A journalist's definition of "experienced travelers" may mean someone who has been on an airplane at least twice or who has a passport. TK clearly did what they could to fix this.
I would also throw in language as a side issue, maybe spanish and vietnamese speakers by the names.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:18 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by RigpigMalta
I would also throw in language as a side issue, maybe spanish and vietnamese speakers by the names.
Not really or I'd be amazed

"Valdivieso, 31, who works as an academic counselor at UCLA."
Old May 20, 2013, 3:21 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Mr_Tudball
As further compensation, the couple were both offered jobs as US Airways Dividend Miles agents.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
One can argue all sides of the blame game (although my 50 cents says more than 50% of the ultimate mess is with the passengers); however, Turkish treated them incredibly well. It flew them for free to their correct destination. That's amazing customer service in my opinion. How can they expect additional compensation?!
Old May 20, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by astroflyer
One can argue all sides of the blame game (although my 50 cents says more than 50% of the ultimate mess is with the passengers); however, Turkish treated them incredibly well. It flew them for free to their correct destination. That's amazing customer service in my opinion. How can they expect additional compensation?!
I want to accidently fly to Melbourne, FL and have airline fly me free to Melbourne, AUS.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
I want to accidently fly to Melbourne, FL and have airline fly me free to Melbourne, AUS.
And then demand compensation, of course!!
Old May 20, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Post Just like Fayetteville in land of USA

I had almost similar issue with Fayetteville (for those who don't know there are 3 states with the same city name which are AR, GA, and NC) which I wanted to fly to formerly FYV now recode XNA Arkansas. I remembered I mentioned clearly to ticketing agent at that time - city and state, I wanted to fly from SMF to FYV via MEM on former NWA and now DAL, paid and got my ticket but as I was walking away, lucky me, I was going through the ticket to ensure my name, FF number was on the ticket and to my horror, the airport code was FAY and not FYV. So when back to the same ticketing agent, calmly and sorted it out amicably with no additional costs. End of story, always check and recheck your ticket. God, I won't want to be in the wrong place and someone is waiting for you at the other airport.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
What is the first thing you do when you get off a plane of you have a connection? You go to the monitors to see if your flight is on time and what gate it will be departing from. Assuming, that the schedule is as it is now, the flight to Dakar, (which, by the way, has a tech stop in Mauritania) leaves at 13:45, while the flight to Dhaka leaves at 18:20. I honestly wonder if these people did it on purpose because they were in IST for FOUR HOURS without ever once checking the monitors! Experience or not, anybody is going to look at the monitors to see what is going on with their flight, because they need to know which gate to get to. (Would any gate info be printed on their BP they got in LAX? Because even if there was, surely it would be subject to change that far in advance.) But no, I refuse to believe that they could honestly be ignorant enough to never check a screen for flight info, or see the sign at their boarding gate. And considering TK would have checked for visas, I wonder if they had visas for Pakistan, because I can't imagine how they would have been allowed on the flight otherwise. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but this just smells rotten. I've flown TK to PEK several times, and they always check for visas.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:32 pm

Let's all take a deep breath. Despite all sorts of risk mitigation, the chances of something bad happening are never zero. The percentage of passengers who arrive at the correct destination is far greater than the percentage of bags, but as we learned here, it's not quite 100%. It's a shame it took so long for this to get resolved, but the outcome seems reasonable. Both parties could have done a little better, and both parties had to give up something, time or money. All's well that ends well.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by camsean
Amazing the way somebody is always ready to blame the victim
The victim in this matter is TK!
They were more than accommodating to the passengers by flying them to their destination for free, despite the passengers' refusal to own up to any responsibility on their part.
And now TK gets bad publicity because these passengers went to the media, and to get additional compensation!
Old May 20, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by kburges
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
The join a long list of hall of famers...
Sydney, Australia / Sydney, Nova Scotia
Auckland / Oakland
portland maine/portland oregon
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
OT: In the days before GPS, I was filling my car up. A truck driver walks over and asks anyone if they know where a specific address near Aberdeen, MD. No one recognizes it. The pump attendant asked to look at the manifest.....the letters were smudged. He should have been in MO not MD..... Oops
Maybe not as OT as you think, Mr. Vker - Aberdeen (South Dakota) Regional (ABR) might still have SkyWest flights, in which someone trying to get to Aberdeen, Scotland (ABZ) could end up in the wrong place.

There should really be an exhaustive list of these somewhere, but here are a few other easily-confused ones, mostly from the start of the alphabet...

CAK (Akron/Canton, OH) vs. CAN (Guangzhou, China nee Canton)
ALB (Albany, NY) vs. ABY (Albany, GA)
AEX (Alexandria, LA) vs. HBE (Alexandria, Egypt) vs. ALY (Alexandria, Egypt)
AGS (Augusta, GA) vs. AUG (Augusta, ME)
BCN (Barcelona, Spain) vs. BLA (Barcelona, Venezuela)
ZBF (Bathurst, NB, CA) vs. BHS (Bathurst, NSW, AU) vs. BRT (Bathurst Island, NT, AU)
BHM (Birmingham, AL) vs. BHX (Birmingham, England)
BRS (Bristol, England) vs. TRI (Bristol, TN)
BRL (Burlington, IA) vs. BTV (Burlington, VT)
CCU (Calcutta, India) vs. CCJ (Calicut, India) - over 1,000 miles apart
CBG (Cambridge, England) vs. YCB (Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, CA)
CPV (Campina Grande, Brazil) vs. CPQ (Campinas, Brazil)
CLD (Carlsbad, CA) vs. CNM (Carlsbad, NM)
SJC (San Jose, CA) vs. SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica)

Products of American geography classes might have trouble keeping BUD (Budapest) and OTP (Bucharest) straight, too.

Unfortunately, BYU (Beyreuth, Germany) no longer has service, and is thus harder to confuse with BEY (Beirut, Lebanon), and BMG (Bloomington, IN) lacks service, although BMI (Bloomington, IL) still has it. And fortunately, Tehran's airport usually shows up as Tehran these days, not Ahmadabad, so folks trying to get to Ahmedabad, India don't end up there instead.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by IAD_PersonFinder
One item from the article also sticks out to me as odd....they indicated falling asleep for 7 hours and then noticing they were over the Middle East. The flight is roughly 8 1/2 hours so that should put them somewhere over India around that time frame. Not a major issue, but their story does not add up.
the article says several hours... not seven hours
Old May 20, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho
These people had multiple opportunities to catch their mistake. If they cannot even bother checking the destination sign at the boarding gate, as well as getting on a plane filled with Bangladeshis instead of Africans... Then they are hardly experienced travellers.

It's not boarding the wrong subway train going in the wrong direction where it is a simple mistake. There were multiple opportunities for these people.
Being an "experienced traveller" doesn't equate to being an expert traveller - it merely means you travel a lot.

Odds are this was the first time they went somewhere unfamiliar that had such a similar name to somewhere else unfamiliar. People keep going on about how they "must have seen the destination written down at some point" but that doesn't mean they didn't check it. Maybe they thought Dhaka was Dakar.

And for the second time, them making a mistake does not erase their travel history. Not everyone can be quite as perfect as you evidently are... I'm sure the person who took their booking was also experienced in their job, but they obviously made a mistake. It's what humans do...
Old May 20, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 Callum! This is compounded by the facts that: 1. Natives of most Anglophone countries other than Canada & parts of USA do not pronounce an R after a vowel, & 2. Most people have no clue on how to pronounce "DH," which AFAIK is correctly pronounced like the TH in English "THe" or "THis" or "THat." So most Brits would probably pronounce both as DAH-KAHH! Finally, many foreign cities have slightly different names in English than in their own languages: Munchen (with a double-dotted U called an Umlaut) = Munich, Warszawa = Warsaw (Poland,) Moskva = Moscow, Bucuresti = Bucharest, Goteborg (with the O slashed) = Gothenburg (Sweden.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.