Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Would you upgrade to Comfort Class if Y is half empty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage

Hi,

I checked the loads on my LAX-IST flight and Y is barely half full. CC looks very open as well and I am sure that TK will be trying to sell upgrades at the airport on the day of departure.

If you can get a whole row to yourself in the back and make it into a "poor man's bed", would you still upgrade to CC? Is the food way better than Y or just marginally better? On a full flight this is a no brainer, but on an empty one? What do you guys think?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I would NOT upgrade if you can get more seats in Y all-to-yourself. Food will be the same or very similar
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:50 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The food in economy by DO&CO catering is quite good- although it's likely another provider from LAX. I doubt they would double cater that route.

I probably would not if there was lots of space in the back. The cost would not justify the ends.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:44 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
if you can get what you call a poor man's bed then eco is a better choice. I've never seen a posibility of that happening on the LAX-IST route.

I can tell you the food is much better and larger quantity in CC. with more comfortable seats. so its up to you. unless you can confirm that the seats next to you are empty in eco take the upgrade its worth every penny. i do it every single time.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wow I can't imagine any TATL flight is half full! Everytime I fly TATL I always get full flight.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:59 pm
aw
Original Poster

I happen to fly midweek a few days before Thanksgiving (when most people will fly domestically).

Last edited by aw; Nov 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
I would book in Y and check the loads at the airport... if Y is only half full on the day of departure I would request for a seat assignment where you are the only pax in the row...but if Y is 80% full, I would opt for the CC upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:27 am

How did you check the load?

The seat map is no indicator with Turkish Airlines as they open asr only 6 -8 weeks before the flight. So a lot of passengers that booked before that will not have assigned seats, yet. Also cheap booking classes are often wide open (off season) even if the flight has a good load already.
So what might look like a light load can end up as a full flight.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:42 pm
aw
Original Poster

A combination of monitoring seat map through expertflyer.com and knowing someone with access to the system.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLAT, ALASKA MVPGOLD
Cost to upgrade?

Originally Posted by aw
A combination of monitoring seat map through expertflyer.com and knowing someone with access to the system.
I'm actually flying out to IST on TK this coming Wednesday. Do you by any chance know how much it costs to upgarde to Comfort Class and Biz on these flights? Also, I can't find any websites that show how many seats are available in premium cabins...how'd you do that?! Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Try www.flightstats.com. Price (if available) would be 200 EUR from economy to Comfort class, and 400 EUR from comfort to biz.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAlex
Try www.flightstats.com. Price (if available) would be 200 EUR from economy to Comfort class, and 400 EUR from comfort to biz.
2 weeks ago at HKG, upgrade from Y to CC wasn't available. You can do Y to C for EUR 800 and Comfort Class to Business for EUR 400.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:19 pm
aw
Original Poster

As mentioned above, upgrade from Y to CC is 200 EUR or $300 from LAX, although at the current exchange rate this should be more like $256 and not $300. I inquired about upgrades from Y to J and was told that it was not offered. I also saw a sign on the airport counter advertising the upgrade to Comfort Class only, no mention to J.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aw
As mentioned above, upgrade from Y to CC is 200 EUR or $300 from LAX, although at the current exchange rate this should be more like $256 and not $300. I inquired about upgrades from Y to J and was told that it was not offered. I also saw a sign on the airport counter advertising the upgrade to Comfort Class only, no mention to J.
That's fairly cheap - since the journey is considerably longer than IST-HKG, something like 13 hours?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: *A Gold
TA upgraded me from Y to comfort (HKG-IST) for free. Y was full and gold card helped. Exit row for the other long-haul also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.