FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1364279-faq-4-flying-turkish-airlines-lounges-aircraft-routes-baggage.html)

shuly Apr 25, 2014 3:26 am

Originally Posted by hawklx (Post 22723649)
flightaware.com may be your best bet on this occasion, but even then it just shows a history of aircrafts operated on the route. You are most likely to see 80-90% of the time the particular flight is operated by one aircraft and the rest with various types. Nothing is guaranteed with TK.

Case in point: my flight yesterday was scheduled to be a 330. A week before, it changed to 77w. When I checked in 24 hours before the flight it was 330. But both flightaware and flightstats still showed 77w. So I "checked in" again (you can change your seat assignment as long as you don't print the boarding pass), and low and behold, the seat map changed to 77w, *after* I've selected my seat on a 330. Only when I boarded did I know for sure it was a 330.

Short story: you can't tell until you board.

Shuly

vicarious_MR'er Apr 25, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by shuly (Post 22758579)
Case in point: my flight yesterday was scheduled to be a 330. A week before, it changed to 77w. When I checked in 24 hours before the flight it was 330. But both flightaware and flightstats still showed 77w. So I "checked in" again (you can change your seat assignment as long as you don't print the boarding pass), and low and behold, the seat map changed to 77w, *after* I've selected my seat on a 330. Only when I boarded did I know for sure it was a 330.

Short story: you can't tell until you board.

Shuly

That's crazy!
I think for my flight in a couple months I will just have to scope out what bird landed at the airport that afternoon before returning to the airport later that night. (I drive by the airport on my way home, anyway...)

This is very unsettling to me as a parent traveling with children and who always makes sure to get appropriate seating assignments for my family in advance. To be honest, if it turns into a circus for us, it will definitely impact our likelihood of taking TK in the future.

When they change planes at the last minute, so seat assignments transfer over when possible, or do they all just get completely blanked out and started anew?

3dot14 Apr 27, 2014 9:44 am

Check baggage to final destination on 2 PNR (both TK)

Dear forum,

has any one tried to check a bag to final destination using two PNRs on TK?

I am considering a ZAG - IST - AMM - IST itinerary. The IST - AMM - IST portion is already booked (on reward miles). I am about to buy the ZAG - IST leg on cash.

The ZAG - IST leg lands at 4pm, and the IST - AMM leg takes off at 12 midnight (time approx.) on the same day. Both are on TK. I will not exit the transit area in IST (if the bags go through) and will wait out the 8 hours transit in the lounge (I am star gold with AC.)

So if I ask the agent at ZAG to send the bag to AMM, will it work?

The TK web site does say the following

" 1. Can I Check My Baggage To The Last Destination?

Yes, you can check your baggage to the last destination. If you are changing your ticketed itinerary, please advise the airport agent before checking your luggage. Please ask at the transfer point if you will be able to collect your baggage at the final destination according to the custom regulations of that country."

But I was wondering if someone has had any similar experiences with this?

Thanks

w000t Apr 27, 2014 3:45 pm

does anyone know which lounge TK contracts out to in BEY? the star alliance lounge finder doesn't show anything :confused:

BuildingMyBento Apr 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by w000t (Post 22770509)
does anyone know which lounge TK contracts out to in BEY? the star alliance lounge finder doesn't show anything :confused:

For a BEY-IST flight in 2011, the main ME lounge was used. At that time, it was very underwhelming.

w000t Apr 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 22770934)
For a BEY-IST flight in 2011, the main ME lounge was used. At that time, it was very underwhelming.

thanks! i guess any lounge is better than no lounge at all

sam007 May 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Baggage allowance

Guys

I'm struggling to get an answer on free baggage allowance for this flight. It's booked with United mileagplus but they referred me to turkish and turkish refers me to Jet and Jet refers me back to United

BCN-IST TK1854 (Operated by Turkish Airlines.)
IST-BOM TK720 (Operated by Jet Airways (India)

Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks

1353513636 May 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 22919933)
Guys

I'm struggling to get an answer on free baggage allowance for this flight. It's booked with United mileagplus but they referred me to turkish and turkish refers me to Jet and Jet refers me back to United

BCN-IST TK1854 (Operated by Turkish Airlines.)
IST-BOM TK720 (Operated by Jet Airways (India)

Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks

TK720 is just like any other TK flight.

Are you *G?

I believe it is:
20 kg for Y
30 kg for C
with 20kg extra if you are *G.

sam007 May 24, 2014 7:05 pm

I don't have any elite status on united if that's what you are asking. I have the united explorer card though and I'm flying coach. I guess you are saying 20kg and only a single check-in luggage. Right?

BTW, does anybody know if Turkish coach is similar coach on Etihad or much worse?

Often1 May 24, 2014 7:10 pm

UA has nothing to do with this. Baggage allowances are set by the operating carrier. The Turkish agent gave you a line of bs.

sam007 May 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Turkish's website shows 20kg but then, they have something that confuses me (the 2nd leg is flown by Jet)
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...gage-allowance
If another airline is involved in your whole journey; the most significant carrier’s (MSC) free baggage allowance rule will be applied. MSC is assigned according to which airline operates the most significant and/or longest part of the journey.
If Turkish Airline is MSC in your journey then Turkish Airline’s free baggage allowance will apply, if another airline is MSC in your journey than the free baggage allowance of that airline will apply.

Also, is it possible to book Premium economy using United miles?

1353513636 May 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 22920019)
Turkish's website shows 20kg but then, they have something that confuses me (the 2nd leg is flown by Jet)
If another airline is involved in your whole journey; the most significant carrier’s (MSC) free baggage allowance rule will be applied. MSC is assigned according to which airline operates the most significant and/or longest part of the journey.
If Turkish Airline is MSC in your journey then Turkish Airline’s free baggage allowance will apply, if another airline is MSC in your journey than the free baggage allowance of that airline will apply.

Your whole itinerary is basically TK, so it's 20 kg, divided over as many cases as you want (I have literally seen people check boxes that look like they have like 3 apples in them or something). No you can't book premium economy with MP miles. Explorer card doesn't get extra baggage here.

Loren Pechtel May 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 22920019)

Jet is the one in the wrong here--that leg is the longest leg, you use their rules.

1353513636 May 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 22920332)
Jet is the one in the wrong here--that leg is the longest leg, you use their rules.

It's a wet lease, I thought it's basically a TK flight.

FlyinHawaiian May 25, 2014 4:31 am

These questions appear best asked in the Turkish Miles&Smiles Forum; thanks.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum