Wiki Posts
Search

IST Back To Open Gate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:28 am
tcm
Original Poster

IST Back To Open Gate

According to TAV (Airport Operator), IST will reintroduce centralised security just after passport control and remove gate security. The re-introduction is planned to take place in March. The arrangement for flights with a greater security grading (U.S., U.K. And Israel) remains to be seen. Also, I wonder how transit passengers will be processed; the transit area is packed as it is...

Last edited by tcm; Jan 18, 2012 at 2:41 am
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Spent a 4 hr layover at IST and it's not that nice. The transit area was packed with transit pax. I hope they remove security check for transit pax - it's hard to have to not have water to drink if I have to wait 4 hrs at IST!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:38 am
tcm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Spent a 4 hr layover at IST and it's not that nice. The transit area was packed with transit pax. I hope they remove security check for transit pax - it's hard to have to not have water to drink if I have to wait 4 hrs at IST!
Currently transit pax go through security at the gate. AFAIK, the vending machines at the gates offer water for 1 TL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they are serious about this I really hope that they do it right this time as when it was centralized security it was a real mess, furthermore, how are they going to do it? When they lasy had it there was only one set of passport control desks, and the gates only went up to 218!!?? Since then they have built two annexes which not only have the second passport control area, but another six gates as well that one cannot access though the same way as 201-218.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:47 am
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
what ever changes they make. I would like it if there remains extra security for US flights.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah........that's sort of a regulation from everywhere on Earth for flying to the US, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcm
Currently transit pax go through security at the gate. AFAIK, the vending machines at the gates offer water for 1 TL.
The problem is that when you transit at IST you won't have 1 TL. You need to change it and which means that water might costs you much more than 1 TL.

I didn't see them when I flew with TK.

I really hate the liquid ban.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by tcm
It is better to have *G and hang out at TK lounge
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
It is better to have *G and hang out at TK lounge
What is the chance of all of the Nachos (2 adults and 3 kids) get *G? I think I might have to bank up some 100ml water if I fly with TK again.

This water regulation is PITA I was packing for Mr. Nacho on his business trip the other day and he decided not to check in his bag. When I started putting shaving form in, I realised, 'OMG the stpuid ban on everything'. Mr. Nacho wanted to bring a razor with him but he doesn't want to risk it.

There are cases where people got things that are allowed confiscated on daily basis.

The rule states very clearly that you can do that but not every single officier know the rules.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
What is the chance of all of the Nachos (2 adults and 3 kids) get *G? I think I might have to bank up some 100ml water if I fly with TK again.

This water regulation is PITA I was packing for Mr. Nacho on his business trip the other day and he decided not to check in his bag. When I started putting shaving form in, I realised, 'OMG the stpuid ban on everything'. Mr. Nacho wanted to bring a razor with him but he doesn't want to risk it.

There are cases where people got things that are allowed confiscated on daily basis.

The rule states very clearly that you can do that but not every single officier know the rules.
All the Nachos surely fly enough to get *G from A3! If they don't, you really need to take them travelling more often
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
All the Nachos surely fly enough to get *G from A3! If they don't, you really need to take them travelling more often
Problem is that A3 doesn't give 100% mileage accural for discounted Y. We travel at least intercontinental 2 times a year plus 2 intra Europe flight. And we decided to bank mileage into separate FFP.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:59 am

Very interesting to see how they organize all this. Now is the time to get that priority security fixed and i hope that they will do it properly. Hopefully the separate lounge passport control stays where it is and they implement some kind of security area for passengers leaving the lounge for boarding. Space is limited.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:11 am

i didnt think the transit area was that bad. yeah the food is overpriced but you get all the free turkish delights you want at the duty free bazaar! Also regarding the liquid restriction, I made sure to follow the guidelines exactly regarding no more than 100ml for any item plus everything in ziplocs, etc. I bought a soda at one of the little cafes and then had to guzzle it down before i went thru the security just before the gate. And then the wife walked right thru carrying a 1 liter bottle of water and they didnt bat an eyelid at her!

Its funny though that Israel, which has the most in depth security has NO restriction on taking liquids on board. I asked one of the airport personnel about that in tel aviv and she said they have determined the liquids pose no risk and its only the US and other countries that still care about it. go figure!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:49 am
tcm
Original Poster

Open Gate/Centralised Security in operation as of this morning as announced earlier. From now on there is security checks for transit pax and Centralised controls for pax leaving IST before passport control. Let's hope everything works out as smoothly as possible.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:57 am

Will test new arrangements next week, transit only though! Will report back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.