Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
The Greater Orlando Airport Authority board meeting on June 16, 2010, discussed awarding a RFP to company to restart and operate a registered traveler program at Orlando International Airport. The link is

http://www.orlandoairports.net/board...16_Package.pdf - Pages 65 through 71 of this document details the information submitted by all companies.

It shows that the Airport is only concerned about how much money they can make out of it, and not about how it will increase passenger flow and security. The document shows all the costs to passengers who sign up for program and what the Airport hope to make out of this program. They awarded the contract to Alclear, which was one out of three companies submitting a proposal.

I thought that it quite interesting, although personally I think, and always have, that it is a rip off requiring you to give a lot of your personal information to a private company just to jump to the front of the TSA screening lines.

Last edited by OrlandoFlyer; Jun 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I edited post #401 to include the entire email. The email is unreadable because of a "Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary" line in the email header. The new CLEAR is off to a bad start with incompetent IT people. Do you really want them to have your data?
The reason it looks blank is not from the Transfer-Encoding. It is a multipart/alternative, with HTML for web readers and the like, and Text for text e-mail readers. Unfortunately, they forgot to put the text in the HTML part (just the 1x1 pixel tracking image), so most mail readers will show nothing.

On GMail you can do "show original" and see the message.

Also Flyclear.com seems to have been updated (at least since I last looked).
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VPescado
Weirdly, I haven't received these messages (and my spam filters are pretty loose...though if my employers filter blocks it, there is no way for me to recover it).

I'm wondering if it is because I received a refund for the remaindet of my paid subscription from amex. Did anyone else that got a refund receive these emails?

Technically even after the refund I would still have a year on my account due to a promotion (I think I got a year added for being Starwood Platinum).
I received a refund from my CC company and I received the emails. I think they have to send an email to every previous member because they need to give you the opportunity to opt-out of the transfer of your info to the new company.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:50 pm

Mr. free101girl and I both had CLEAR memberships and neither of us has received the email. Is it even legal for them to require people to opt out after sending notices only by email? Seems like they'd have to send a snail mail notice as well.

I loved CLEAR but so far the new iteration isn't impressing me with its reliability. I'm going to opt out, I think.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by VPescado
Weirdly, I haven't received these messages (and my spam filters are pretty loose...though if my employers filter blocks it, there is no way for me to recover it).

I'm wondering if it is because I received a refund for the remaindet of my paid subscription from amex. Did anyone else that got a refund receive these emails?

Technically even after the refund I would still have a year on my account due to a promotion (I think I got a year added for being Starwood Platinum).
Originally Posted by wilp888
I received a refund from my CC company and I received the emails. I think they have to send an email to every previous member because they need to give you the opportunity to opt-out of the transfer of your info to the new company.
Received refund from cc as well and found the email in my spam folder. Thanks FT ^ Not sure whether to opt in or out yet.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by marklyon
Why would anyone trust CLEAR with their money again?
I would pay them again if they return to MCO......

Due to my father's illness I have to make 2 trips to there over the next few weeks and I HATE the security setup at that airport. Just a disaster! It's why I joined in the first place. I would risk the cash again for a few months without the mess!

However, the email they are sending info to is long gone... wonder how I can "opt in"?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
I would pay again as well. However, I do think the whole "trusted traveler" / "verified identity" thing operated by a private company is a sham. They still put you through the normal screening, still make you take off your shoes, why the hell do I need to give them my fingerprints and personal data for that? I'm happy to give them my money, but after the first bankruptcy I'm a bit leery. It's not like they were actually able to do anything useful with my personal info (e.g. let me skip the security screening).
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
If you read their new website, they're launching in DEN and have secured rights at MCO. Remember how long it took the original Clear to beef up its roster of airports? Many of those same airports (I'm thinking ATL here) might be even more reluctant this time around after how abruptly the original Clear cased operations. Just bear that in mind before you agree to transfer your personal data in exchange for what's remaining in your membership. They may have little airport participation during the first year of launch.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jbatl
If you read their new website, they're launching in DEN and have secured rights at MCO. Remember how long it took the original Clear to beef up its roster of airports? Many of those same airports (I'm thinking ATL here) might be even more reluctant this time around after how abruptly the original Clear cased operations. Just bear that in mind before you agree to transfer your personal data in exchange for what's remaining in your membership. They may have little airport participation during the first year of launch.
Glad to see that they will be launching at MCO! The lines are awful, even at 5:15am on a Sunday!

One question about the screening lines. Will they have dedicated TSOs for CLEAR members, or do they let the member cut to the front of a regular line?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One question about the screening lines. Will they have dedicated TSOs for CLEAR members, or do they let the member cut to the front of a regular line?
When I had it, it seemed to vary from airport to airport. At CVG, sometimes they had their own line, others they would like make you weave through the line pushing other people out of the way and I'd have to squeeze through with my bag while they shouted "Registered Traveler coming through". It was almost embarrassing.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bonoman
When I had it, it seemed to vary from airport to airport. At CVG, sometimes they had their own line, others they would like make you weave through the line pushing other people out of the way and I'd have to squeeze through with my bag while they shouted "Registered Traveler coming through". It was almost embarrassing.

As long as they have a decent setup, with a dedicated line at MCO, I'll be happy!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG
Opt-Out Info

Seems pretty legit to me.... The same letter appears on the verifiedidpassinc website...

http://verifiedidpassinc.com/opt_out_notice.htm

http://verifiedidpassinc.com/optout.pdf

WR
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:15 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Glad to see that they will be launching at MCO! The lines are awful, even at 5:15am on a Sunday!

The way it worked in Atlanta was Clear paid for 2 lanes of TSOs. When they weren't being used by Clear members they allowed regular pax to enter said lanes. If a clear member came they let them cut the line - as they should - that pax paid for it!

That's how I understood it to work at a lot of airports where they cut the line.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:40 pm

Fortunately I saw the opt-out form here on this thread, because neither my husband nor I got anything from CLEAR about the fact that they plan to sell our personal information to Alclear.

So I sent in our signed opt-out forms, and tonight I got a call from someone in a phone room, who said he was calling to "confirm" that we really want to opt out! He gave me a huge hassle on the phone. First he wanted me to confirm the email address where I received the opt out form. I told him I didn't receive it, which totally threw him because obviously that wasn't in his script.

Then he asked if I could provide my CLEAR membership number. Uh, NO, they went out of business over a year ago. Why would I still have that?

Finally I said "what part of a signed form saying 'opt me out' was unclear?" and he agreed to put me on the opt-out list.

Obviously they're doing everything possible to avoid anyone opting out. It appears they sent emails to some people, but those emails were so garbled as to be unreadable. A lot of people, like us, didn't even get the emails. And now they're hassling those who opted out.

This whole experience is just confirming for me that I do not want to do business with CLEAR, and it's really making me regret that I ever gave CLEAR my personal information. I can't even believe it's legal to sell someone's personal information after changing a company's privacy rules and making the announcement only by email!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would love to see a class action suit on the holding and now selling of personal data that supposedly was destroyed months ago when CLEAR went under. I never did clear and thought it was a bad idea at the time so I will just watch for whatever might happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.