Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

CBP Announces Trusted Traveler Programs Fee Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold

NEXUS fee is increasing to $120 USD.

Release Date

Tue, 04/02/2024WASHINGTON — U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced today an upcoming fee change for some of its most popular Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP).

On April 2, a final rule was published in the Federal Register, harmonizing the fees for the NEXUS, Global Entry, and SENTRI programs, better reflecting the program costs. The new fees, which have not been updated in over 15 years, will go into effect October 1, 2024. As these programs have matured and expanded, updating the fee structures is critical to the continuation and management of the programs.

Once the rule goes into effect, applicants under the age of 18 will be exempt from the application fee when a parent or legal guardian is already a member of, or concurrently applying for NEXUS, SENTRI, or Global Entry. SENTRI, which allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers entering the United States using dedicated primary lanes at Southern land border ports, will move from an “a la carte” fee structure to a uniform fee of $120, which will be collected in full when each application is submitted. The fees for NEXUS, a joint program managed by CBP and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that allows dedicated processing between the U.S. and Canada, will increase from $50 to $120, and Global Entry fees will increase from $100 to $120.

TTP supports CBP’s mission of securing U.S. borders while facilitating lawful travel and trade. Travelers must be pre-approved for TTP. All applicants undergo rigorous and recurring background checks and an in-person interview before enrollment. While a key goal of the programs is to expedite travelers through the process, members may still be selected for further examination when entering the United States. To maintain a strict standard in establishing TTP members as low-risk travelers, any violation of a program’s terms and conditions will result in the appropriate enforcement action and termination of the traveler’s membership privileges.

For more information on TTP, follow @CBP or visit ttp.dhs.gov.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...ms-fee-changes
Totally worth it imo.
SPN Lifer and Heyden like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:43 pm

This was being discussed way back in 2020 but I think due to administrative challenges it took them this long to announce.

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2020-16369
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:45 pm

Now it will be a matter of convenience (as how it should be) rather than cost.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This fee increase was first proposed in September 2020.Link to the final rule:Most minors will be exempt from the application fee:

Exemption of Certain Minors From Payment of the Application Fee
Prior to implementation of this final rule, the Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS programs were not aligned with respect to whether minors were charged an application fee. The Global Entry program charged minors the full application fee, the SENTRI program had a complex family option plan, and the NEXUS program exempted all minors from payment of the application fee. This disparity resulted in families choosing a program based on financial considerations, instead of choosing a program based on the features and benefits of the program. To eliminate this disparity and to better reflect the costs to CBP to operate these programs, CBP is creating a uniform fee for adult applicants as well as a uniform exemption from the fee for certain minors.

Through this final rule, CBP is updating the regulations to provide that, for the Global Entry and SENTRI programs, minors are exempt from the application fee if they apply concurrently with a parent or legal guardian or if their parent or legal guardian is already a participant of the same program to which the minor is applying. Otherwise, the minor will be required to pay the $120 fee.

If the minor's parent or legal guardian is already an existing participant of Global Entry, SENTRI, or NEXUS, the minor will be required to enter the parent or legal guardian's name and trusted traveler number to allow CBP to verify this information. This exemption for minors will minimize the costs for families enrolling in the Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS programs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by trek604
The new fees, which have not been updated in over 15 years
Kinda untrue from the Canadian point of view for Nexus, as we used to have the choice of paying US$50 or CAD$50, then it became US$50 only.

As one can renew up to 364 days prior to expiration, I'm guessing there's some opportunity for ~1/5 of us to renew early and pay US$50 even if our expiry is after Oct 1st.

I thought these programs would pay for themselves in time/resource savings, with the side-benefit of pre-filtering travellers based on risk, but I guess they just focus on costs, not benefits.

Last edited by tecate55; Apr 2, 2024 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:26 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
At least this may put an end to credit cards only covering GE or PreCheck fees while ignoring NEXUS and SENTRI?
Rare and stndrdSDF like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by zmb
At least this may put an end to credit cards only covering GE or PreCheck fees while ignoring NEXUS and SENTRI?
That was my first thought. I think this fee increase will likely save me 50 bucks every five years for both my wife and I.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by zmb
Maybe so. They're not merging the programs, but I guess they won't be able to tell the difference based on the amount if they're all the same.

If anyone wants to compare, my Nexus renewal went through my credit card as:

USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER #9399
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:07 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
Always amazed at how it was $50 for so long, can’t say we didn’t see this coming.

but still worth it, saved me so much time and headache from crossing.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Nexus fees increasing

The unusual fee structure where Nexus actually cost less than Global Entry or Precheck is coming to an end. Nexus and Global Entry will cost $120 as of October 1, 2024.

Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I have GE for another year and change but just applied to add NEXUS. Sounds like it will take a long time anyway
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
The added cost amounts to $14USD per year over what NEXUS cost before. For this Canadian it is worth every cent for priority security screening, easy entry to the U.S. and Canada and avoiding the long lines coming into the U.S. if entering from another country.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by droopydog
The unusual fee structure where Nexus actually cost less than Global Entry or Precheck is coming to an end. Nexus and Global Entry will cost $120 as of October 1, 2024.

That's big news and I'm sure a lot of people will reconsider - especially since so many cards now reimburse for GE.
I switched to Nexus from GE in 2013 - I was traveling to Canada often enough that it made sense. My travel has changed and I may switch back when my Nexus comes up for renewal in 5/25. Though I'm still so scarred by the delays during my pandemic renewal that I'll probably put in my application at 364 days out (which should get me the current rate for another 5 years).

I can't believe it's time again - I needed an in-person interview because my driver's license expired in the 7 months years between the time they received my application (12/19) and I was conditionally approved in June 0f 2020. I wasn't able to schedule an interview until June 2022.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Not surprising to see it going up, but still a great deal IMO. Getting NEXUS, GE and PreCheck for five years, even at $120, is still worth the time savings (and less hassle dealing with TSA).
SPN Lifer and Rare like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If they are going to raise the fee by that much, then they need to start approving applications faster. I submitted my application for Nexus back in September and it's still pending. I don't have an issue payign $120 for it, but, but they should process approvals in a more timely manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.