Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

CBP announces new Global Entry Mobile App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...try-mobile-app

With the new app, travelers simply take a photo as a “selfie,” which will be compared to a photo gallery to verify their identity through facial biometrics. After the photo has been submitted, the traveler will receive a receipt on the app. Once the traveler arrives to the primary inspection area, they can bypass the Global Entry portals and go directly to the CBP officers to efficiently process their entry into the United States by showing their mobile receipt.The Global Entry Mobile Application will initially be available for use by travelers arriving at seven airports: Seattle Tacoma International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, Miami International Airport, Orlando International Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport, Pittsburgh International Airport, and George Bush Intercontinental Airport. CBP will continue to evaluate and expand the use of the app at airports where Global Entry processing occurs in the future.

The app is free and will be available for download from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store beginning on Sept. 19, 2023.
seawolf, SPN Lifer, nrgiii and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Just a little more info about the new app.

Take a selfie and answer only one question: Port of Entry.

Like MPC, the submission can only be done after landing at your POE or upon arrival at a preclearance facility. After a successful submission, a receipt will be generated on your app for 30 minutes. If you are arriving at a location where baggage claim is before immigration (SEA and STL) then it is recommended that you submit only after you have retrieved your bags and are ready to proceed to immigration.

You may then skip the kiosk but need to have this receipt readily available to be shown to the officer to exit.

IMO, this app only saves you time if you're using GE at a location where there's always a line for the kiosks.
planes&trains likes this.

Last edited by sfosuw; Sep 26, 2023 at 9:21 pm
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
First hand report last night 11 pm Mon 9/25 LAX TBIT:

Upon landing I tried to take a selfie, but lighting was insufficient. After they turned on the cabin light, I took a selfie and it was approved with a checkmark and a receipt number (my selfie remains on the screen), and a clock counting down from 60 min.

At the GE line, I was the only one. They kept calling MPC passengers. After a while they asked what I was, telling me to use the kiosk, expecting a paper. I said I was mobile, and they thought I was MPC and asked me to join the line. I showed my iPad and someone understood it was GE Mobile, and processed me quickly.

Either they were not expecting anyone using the new app, or they didn't know how to process someone. Officer didn't ask me any question on declaration, which as mentioned in Post 2, wasn't part of the GE Mobile process (but then I had nothing to declare).
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:54 am

How does it work for families? Can we add everyone in family considering everyone has GE, or does each person need individual phone/device?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:09 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Unsuccessful attempt at SEA

I tried to use the app on arrival at SEA after claiming my bag (SEA is a bags-first airport), but was rejected after the selfie for being too far away.

The only terminal choice is South Satellite, but the SEA inspection area moved to the new IAF on the back side of A gates in 2022, so I'm guessing the developers just dont have the right location data.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Preferred COA now available

The app got updated this week with a new feature: if you're not a US citizen or permanent resident, you can now set your preferred Class of Admission in the app. According to the app, the preference will apply to "all other Global Entry services," which hopefully includes the kiosks as well.

One of the things I missed about the old kiosks was the COA picker; it was a good way to confirm that I'd be admitted in the right status (for instance, L1 instead of B1) instead of hoping that the CBP officer pressed the right button. Glad to see they've made things a little less opaque.
Markie, SPN Lifer, bruceba and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by guyattx
How does it work for families? Can we add everyone in family considering everyone has GE, or does each person need individual phone/device?
I used it today for myself. I didn't see a place to add family members, so I think each needs a device.

All the app does is avoid a stop at the kiosk, which sometimes creates a small wait. My wife used kiosk and I used app and we went to agent together. No issue.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:50 pm

Global Entry MOBILE app with toddler

I know that there is now a Global Entry iPhone/Android app. How does it work with a toddler? Do they need to have their own phone?

Thank you!
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by savemone
I know that there is now a Global Entry iPhone/Android app. How does it work with a toddler? Do they need to have their own phone?

Thank you!
It seems to be one person per device. Perhaps you can use an old phone (hot spot to yours) or an iPad (same, but test whether app works on it).
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
It seems to be one person per device. Perhaps you can use an old phone (hot spot to yours) or an iPad (same, but test whether app works on it).
ok, I see. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:06 am

Upvote for the threads here about families. My child he GE and an iPhone (and the app) so its likely workable for the child to just run it on their own phone. But, it'd be nice to be able to add additional traveling companions, kids, family members to the app for all-in-one processing.
savemone and tecate55 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm as tech-savvy as many people on this forum, but I could never get MPC to work. The kiosk is so fast these days that it's simpler to just hand passports to my family instead of trying to get each of them to use the app properly.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm as tech-savvy as many people on this forum, but I could never get MPC to work. The kiosk is so fast these days that it's simpler to just hand passports to my family instead of trying to get each of them to use the app properly.
This thread is not about MPC, it's about a Global Entry mobile app. It works just like the GE face recognition kiosks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Discussion about the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) app, which is what I use, is focused in this thread:

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:55 am

I tried using it the other day but it kept refusing to submit as "you're not at the port of entry yet" even while standing in the customs hall.
Not particular useful that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.