Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Refugee w/ US-issued I-571 Travel Document and No Passport Applying for Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refugee w/ US-issued I-571 Travel Document and No Passport Applying for Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold

Does anyone have experience with applying for GE as an LPR but using a US-issued refugee travel document (I-571) rather than passport? It's somewhat unclear from the website if this is possible.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Scifience
Does anyone have experience with applying for GE as an LPR but using a US-issued refugee travel document (I-571) rather than passport? It's somewhat unclear from the website if this is possible.
I wasn’t able to find a clear indication, but this help page seems to indicate a passport of some sort is required - do you not have one at all, even foreign?
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by michab
I wasn’t able to find a clear indication, but this help page seems to indicate a passport of some sort is required - do you not have one at all, even foreign?
In theory, a passport shouldn't be required for LPRs since the individual's entry document would be a green card, but the website you showed clearly indicates a passport requirement for Global Entry applicants who are LPRs.

Another question is whether the nationality indication on the green card or I-571 can serve as proof of citizenship.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Thanks — I hadn't found that link before. But it's still not entirely clear to me whether they're just using "passport" simplify / stand in for all the many types of "travel document," which is quite common in many places (e.g. visa application forms, etc.).

My partner has no passport at all; the refugee travel document, issued by USCIS, is used in lieu of a passport for international travel by people who are stateless or refugees and lawfully present in the US as refugees or as LPRs derived from an initial grant of refugee status. Using or renewing a foreign passport can actually jeopardize status as a refugee, as it may suggest it is no longer unsafe for you to avail yourself of your country of citizenship's protection.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:28 am

Thanks — I hadn't found that link before. But it's still not entirely clear to me whether they're just using "passport" simplify / stand in for all the many types of "travel document," which is quite common in many places (e.g. visa application forms, etc.).

My partner has no passport at all; the refugee travel document, issued by USCIS, is used in lieu of a passport for international travel by people who are stateless or refugees and lawfully present in the US as refugees or as LPRs derived from an initial grant of refugee status. Using or renewing a foreign passport can actually jeopardize status as a refugee, as it may suggest it is no longer unsafe for you to avail yourself of your country of citizenship's protection.
I see - may be worth signing up for the website and starting an application to see if there’s a way to enter it? I believe you only pay at the end. If there’s a selection option to enter that specifically, it’s probably fine. If it’s only looking for a passport, I’d probably contact CBP (I believe there’s a form on the website), explain the situation, and ask for specific guidance.

Interesting to learn about that document - it makes sense that something like that would exist, but I’d never thought about it. Is it generally accepted in lieu of a passport globally, e.g. when it comes to the ability to enter various countries visa-free etc.?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Interesting to learn about that document - it makes sense that something like that would exist, but I’d never thought about it. Is it generally accepted in lieu of a passport globally, e.g. when it comes to the ability to enter various countries visa-free etc.?
Yes, most countries will accept it in lieu of a passport on the basis of several UN conventions covering refugees (though there are a handful that don't—largely authoritarian places). Most airline staff look at it as if it has three heads, but a TIMATIC search will clear that up since there is almost always specific information listed. Very very few countries accept them for visa-free entry, but notable exceptions—at least for US-issued documents—are Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Slovakia, Croatia...

There's a good overview on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee_travel_document
Majuki and GUWonder like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
The TTP website (Official Trusted Traveler Program Website | Department of Homeland Security (dhs.gov) has an eligibility indicator which shows that US LPR without a passport is only eligible for TSA Precheck, NEXUS and SENTRI. Passport with MRZ is required in order to be GE eligible.
I understand you view the I-571 RTD as a passport because you may use it to enter another country after obtaining the appropriate visa. However, an I-571 RTD is considered a Visa, not a Passport under US law. See 8 CFR § 211.1 (a) (4).
eCFR :: 8 CFR 211.1 -- Visas.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Another question is whether the nationality indication on the green card or I-571 can serve as proof of citizenship.
I-551 LPR Card and I-571 RTD only list the bearer's Country of Birth, not Country of Citizenship. As most countries are not jus soli, the COB listed on these documents cannot be served as proof of citizenship.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfosuw
The TTP website (Official Trusted Traveler Program Website | Department of Homeland Security (dhs.gov) has an eligibility indicator which shows that US LPR without a passport is only eligible for TSA Precheck, NEXUS and SENTRI. Passport with MRZ is required in order to be GE eligible.
I understand you view the I-571 RTD as a passport because you may use it to enter another country after obtaining the appropriate visa. However, an I-571 RTD is considered a Visa, not a Passport under US law. See 8 CFR § 211.1 (a) (4).
eCFR :: 8 CFR 211.1 -- Visas.
Thanks, this is useful. One more thing for my partner to look forward to in a few years when eligible for naturalization!

Though, interesting to consider that it seems NEXUS (which would grant use of GE kiosks) is an option...
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by Scifience; Sep 7, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 7, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by sfosuw
Passport with MRZ is required in order to be GE eligible.
For using GE, this is perplexing considering that an LPR would be using a green card as the entry document with GE 1.0. With GE 2.0, no physical document is needed.

I-551 LPR Card and I-571 RTD only list the bearer's Country of Birth, not Country of Citizenship. As most countries are not jus soli, the COB listed on these documents cannot be served as proof of citizenship.
I couldn't find a high enough resolution I-571 bio page to show if it indicates nationality or not (and you confirmed that is does not). I just checked an old scan of Mrs. Majuki's I-551, and I see that it does only indicate Country of Birth. (In Mrs. Majuki's case, her COB matched her nationality.) The N-550 does indicate indicate "country of former nationality", but if this person had an N-550, we wouldn't be having to worry about the I-571.

I suppose a valid passport would be the only proof of nationality. Even if there is jus soli, there could be cases where nationality acquired at birth was later lost. Boris Johnson is one prominent example.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't find a high enough resolution I-571 bio page to show if it indicates nationality or not (and you confirmed that is does not).
It actually does; there is a "nationality" field on the I-571.
There's a sample document from USCIS here: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20191105_0.pdf

It's also interesting to note that the ID number on the I-571 is explicitly described as a "passport number."
Majuki likes this.

Last edited by Scifience; Sep 7, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Old Sep 8, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Though, interesting to consider that it seems NEXUS (which would grant use of GE kiosks) is an option...
NEXUS is more targeted for the land-border where a passport isn't required. In fact, most US and CA Citizens who solely travel by land have never obtained a passport. Those who wanted NEXUS can apply for it using birth certificate as proof of citizenship. They are only eligible to use GE if they decide to obtain a passport and enroll it later on. I guess your partner can try applying for NEXUS first, of course the caveats are the much longer wait-time and an interview by CBSA physically in Canada. Your partner should be able to use GE solely using the I-551 until naturalization.

For using GE, this is perplexing considering that an LPR would be using a green card as the entry document with GE 1.0. With GE 2.0, no physical document is needed.
Although an I-551 will suffice for actual immigration check when entering the US. I guess this is due to the requirement of a passport for International Air Travel as GE is primarily designed for air travel.

I couldn't find a high enough resolution I-571 bio page to show if it indicates nationality or not (and you confirmed that is does not). I just checked an old scan of Mrs. Majuki's I-551, and I see that it does only indicate Country of Birth. (In Mrs. Majuki's case, her COB matched her nationality.) The N-550 does indicate indicate "country of former nationality", but if this person had an N-550, we wouldn't be having to worry about the I-571.
As Scifience correctly pointed out, the current version of I-571 does list the nationality. The older version I've seen (when INS used to issue it) only listed COB. Regardless, the nationality field can only be served as a reference and is rarely regarded as proof of citizenship. in fact, most countries would regard the bearer of this document as a stateless person and therefore impose a different visa requirement than a citizen of the stated nationality.
Majuki and Scifience like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:03 am

getting in to US is not an issue with refugee travel document but immigration at foreign airport will keep looking at that travel document and trying to figure out what to do and will ask to see a US green card if you have one but they will eventually let you in or let you go.

There is a bit of inconveneince traveling with a RTD book or a rentry permit book with or without a green card.
Once you become a citizen and have US passport, it is a game changer.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Blueheaven
There is a bit of inconveneince traveling with a RTD book or a rentry permit book with or without a green card.
At least ticketing agents will almost always understand a green card. Having solely an RTD is likely to cause more problems, especially outside of North America.

For instance, I was at a European airport recently with another FlyerTalk member who was on Advance Parole. This airport only has one nonstop flight to the US, and the ticketing agents spent considerable time in consultation with their supervisor and airline office before reluctantly issuing a boarding pass. Of course, upon arrival in the US, we both sailed through USCBP.

Does GE automatically get activated with Nexus? If so, it seems like it would it be possible to apply for Nexus as another poster suggested. Even if the individual can't travel to Canada without a visa, there are stateside enrollment centers to complete the process with both CBSA and USCBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.