Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Canadian NEXUS Enrollment Centers Have Reopened

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
US enrollment centres reopening APRIL 19, 2022

Release Date:

March 31, 2022

WASHINGTON — U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen April 19, 2022.

Starting April 5, conditionally approved applicants may schedule interviews at U.S. NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States on the Trusted Traveler portal. NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada remain closed until further notice. Applicants may enter the United States to complete their interview, but must meet all applicable travel requirements.

CBP asks all applicants to be patient, as there is a backlog of applications to be processed by a limited number of open enrollment centers. In order to prioritize new applicants requiring interviews, CBP asks existing NEXUS and FAST members to refrain from scheduling an appointment at this time. However, existing members are encouraged to renew their membership applications online before the expiration date on their cards to maintain their membership privileges until they are able to complete an interview at a later time.

NEXUS is a CBP program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk Canadian travelers upon arrival in the United States, while FAST allows expedited clearance into the United States for pre-approved, low-risk commercial drivers from Mexico and Canada. The non-refundable application fee for both programs is $50 each, and applications must be submitted through Trusted Traveler Programs website. Once the applicant successfully passes a background check, a CBP officer will conduct an interview with the applicant at select locations in the U.S. to make a final eligibility determination.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the comprehensive management, control, and protection of our nation’s borders, combining customs, immigration, border security, and agricultural protection at and between official ports of entry.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-reopening-us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers
Print Wikipost

[Updated] Canadian NEXUS Enrollment Centers Have Reopened

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:22 pm

I managed to get an appointment for early January at Champlain. Do you need an antigen test to cross over for the interview?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:40 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Has anyone actually had an enrollment interview? I'm not seeing any posts after Nov 29 that touch on this. I have mine schedules for 12/14, and after multiple cancellations last year, just curious if this actually happening or if we are getting our hopes up just to see them dashed again.

Originally Posted by strongbull1
Its Official now twitter.com/CBP/status/1460345646020501505

U.S. NEXUS/FAST Enrollment Centers to Re-Open November 29

Release Date:
November 15, 2021Washington, D.C. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen on November 29, 2021. It should be noted, however, that the NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada will continue to be closed until further notice.

Starting today, conditionally approved applicants may schedule interviews at available NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States. Appointments must be booked through the Trusted Traveler portal: and will have dates available starting November 29.

Applicants entering the U.S. to complete their interview must meet all applicable travel requirements:

CBP asks all applicants to be patient with the system as there is large backlog of applications to be processed by a limited number of open enrollment centers. In order to prioritize new applicants needing interviews, CBP is asking existing NEXUS and FAST members to refrain from booking an appointment at this time. However, existing members are encouraged to renew their membership before their expiry date on their cards to maintain their membership privileges until able to complete their interviews at a later time.

NEXUS is a program run jointly between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Customs and Border Protection. It is designed to speed up border crossings for low-risk, pre-approved travelers into Canada and the United States. FAST is a joint program between the CBSA and CBP that enhances border and trade security while making cross-border commercial shipments simpler and subject to fewer delays.

Interested travelers can apply through the Trusted Traveler Programs website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year FAST membership is $50 and applications must be submitted online. Once the applicant successfully passes a background check, a CBP officer will conduct an interview with the applicant at select locations in the U.S. to make a final eligibility determination.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between official ports of entry. CBP is charged with securing the borders of the United States while enforcing hundreds of laws and facilitating lawful trade and travel.

Last modified:
November 15, 2021
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:14 pm

Family had a nexus new interview Saturday the 4th at 10 am at Blane Washington the place was busy with like meetings every 15 min or like 3 families every 30 min.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by SYM
Has anyone actually had an enrollment interview? I'm not seeing any posts after Nov 29 that touch on this. I have mine schedules for 12/14, and after multiple cancellations last year, just curious if this actually happening or if we are getting our hopes up just to see them dashed again.
Just got back from my NEXUS interview at Champlain, NY. First time for NEXUS; had GE up until today. Less than 10 minutes with US agent, less than 5 minutes with Canadian agent.
seawolf, SYM and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by bertan
I managed to get an appointment for early January at Champlain. Do you need an antigen test to cross over for the interview?
Currently no, you don't need one to drive. If you're flying then yes.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:07 pm
SYM

I should NOT have posted on this. Logged in to double-check, and indeed my 12/14 was cancelled - apparently they set the hours too long and then readjusted. Sadly, the next available is another month out.

Originally Posted by SYM
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SYM
I should NOT have posted on this. Logged in to double-check, and indeed my 12/14 was cancelled - apparently they set the hours too long and then readjusted. Sadly, the next available is another month out.
Could you clarify "hours too long?"
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:50 am
SYM

Could you clarify "hours too long?"

Not really - that's a quote from the person I spoke to. I can only add that my original appointment was for early evening (6:30 pm), so I guess they cancelled AT LEAST appointments outside of regular business hours
mrlogboy likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by oblender
The goes system had glitches that allowed appointments to open up at Ft Erie. I called Niagara falls processing centre and the person I spoke with said it was a system glitch and that anyone who had booked will have the appointment cancelled. Some even showed up at the enrolment centre by mistake.

I've been waiting from July 1 2020 when I received conditional approval to schedule a renewal interview. I have booked Niagara Falls for April 30th 2022. This is taking way too long. Originally applied to renew October 19th 2019 and have been waiting since then to renew my Nexus. They seriously need to fix this system. Should not take this long to renew a simple application.
I just checked and my January appointment for the Niagara Falls location is still showing as active. I did try to call and verify, though the # listed on the renewal confirmation just rings and rings. About to book flights, so I called Blaine, WA who confirmed it still shows as active. Hopefully any glitches have been resolved.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I just checked and my January appointment for the Niagara Falls location is still showing as active. I did try to call and verify, though the # listed on the renewal confirmation just rings and rings. About to book flights, so I called Blaine, WA who confirmed it still shows as active. Hopefully any glitches have been resolved.
FYI the glitch we are referring to is a Canada NEXUS centre showing availability.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Closed starting DEC 20

Dear NEXUS Member,

Given the Government’s recent updated travel advisory for Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada, as well as the upcoming suspension of the short trip PCR test exemption, the CBSA will temporarily suspend NEXUS/FAST interviews at enrolment centres (EC) in the United States (US) starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice.This will be re-evaluated as the border measures evolve.

Please consult the CBSA website frequently for all updates on the resumption of NEXUS/FAST interviews, log into your account to check the status of your interview, and schedule another one if required in the Trusted Traveller Programs portal.
Please do not hesitate to contact https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Or maybe get the remote interviews setup. If the applicant can do zoom, so can the officers. If the officers can do zoom together in one office, they can do it from separate offices. If they can do that, then they can also zoom and work from home.

Remote interviews were announced in January, with "we hope to add NEXUS remote interviews within the next few weeks."

Well, here's hoping they extend benefits another six months or so.

I was ***this*** close. Had an interview scheduled the last week of December. Argh.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 17, 2021 at 9:23 pm Reason: Redact quote of a deleted post
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Well, I guess I wn't be scheduling an interview any time soon.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:08 pm

So glad had our interview Dec 3rd and got our cards
Not offical
but while I was there just asked about zoom interviews and they said it was might be OK but first time interviews probably not (from the Canadian side) as they want it to be live and in person but heck stuff could change he said but did not think so.

again not offical anything just asked the 2 officers giving us the interview
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

While we understand your disappointment and frustrations, when posting here please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is a factual/informational forum.

Please limit your contributions here to requesting and offering factual information and useful advice, and save the rants and commentary for the Policy Debate forum.

Several posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
mug, mrlogboy and Peter Kehl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.