Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

New US Citizenship and Travel to and from Canada Using NEXUS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive

I recently became a US citizen. I remain a Norwegian citizen. I have a NEXUS card that expires in June, but I applied for renewal in February. My application is currently pending conditional approval. But since I applied well before it expired, my understanding is that the card is now extended for 12 months beyond its original expiration date.

I had a road trip to Canada planned for June, and my new US passport may not arrive before I leave. (And yes, this is all assuming Canada reopens its border, which is of course beyond my control.)

Is there anything wrong with traveling to Canada on my NEXUS card and with my Norwegian passport? I remain a Norwegian citizen, so there is no misrepresentation there.

I assume the larger problem would be coming back into the US. I'm assuming I cannot enter in a NEXUS lane, since my NEXUS card does not yet reflect my new US nationality. But could I present the NEXUS card (WHTI travel document) alongside my US Certificate of Naturalization (proof of US nationality) and reenter that way, or does that still violate the rules? This would be a road trip, so concerns about airline policy do not apply.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I will add to this that I am usually fairly timid about following all the rules to the letter, so I may just postpone my road trip another year. On the other hand, I had this road trip planned last year with some friends from Newfoundland, but had to cancel it due to COVID. I am now vaccinated, and eager for a trip, but I may settle for a domestic road trip instead.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
txviking likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I need to travel to a NEXUS enrollment office to update my citizenship, and I was hoping to take care of that while in Canada — assuming my US passport arrives on time.

Even if it doesn't, I would not be traveling without a passport. I would have my Norwegian passport, and that is still valid. However, as I understand the rules, I cannot present the Norwegian passport for entry into the US now that I am a US citizen. I was hoping, however, that the combination of the NEXUS card (a WHTI travel document) and my Certificate of Naturalization (my only evidence of US nationality until I obtain my passport, but not technically a travel document) would be acceptable to CBP.

Last edited by txviking; Apr 6, 2021 at 12:14 am
Old May 30, 2021, 8:02 am
Original Poster

This became moot. There are no signs that Canada's going to reopen the border anytime soon, so I am opting for a domestic road trip instead.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by txviking
I was hoping, however, that the combination of the NEXUS card (a WHTI travel document) and my Certificate of Naturalization (my only evidence of US nationality until I obtain my passport, but not technically a travel document) would be acceptable to CBP.
I always see travelers handing over their naturalization certificates at the San Ysidro crossing, so it must be an acceptable travel document as far as land crossings are concerned.
GUWonder and txviking like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by greglvnv
I always see travelers handing over their naturalization certificates at the San Ysidro crossing, so it must be an acceptable travel document as far as land crossings are concerned.
US Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) verifies both US citizenship and identity for these purposes too. They are acceptable as proof of US citizenship and identity when dealing with CBP.
txviking likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
US Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) verifies both US citizenship and identity for these purposes too. They are acceptable as proof of US citizenship and identity when dealing with CBP.
Good to know. I decided to just submit an application for a US passport back on April 19th. Still "in process". (I didn't pay an expedite fee; I scrapped the Canada trip due to the closed border, and I have no other international travel planned currently.)
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Timeline update: NEXUS application still "pending conditional approval", US passport application still "In Process" as of today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.