Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Renewing Global Entry while Having a Pending Nexus Application

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott Bonvoy

I live in Los Angeles and visit family once a year in British Columbia. I have Global Entry and my cousin advised me to apply for Nexus. (I didn't realize if I have Global Entry I'm able to use an expeditied lane to drive back into the U.S.?) It took over 5 months to get conditionally approved for Nexus. My interview in Canada was canceled due to the coronavirus which is understandable. My Global Entry is up for renewal in Sept. I can't renew it online as there's no renew button so I asked CBP about this. They sent me the below email. They're saying I can't be a member of both programs at the same time! I use my Global Entry a lot as I travel overseas. I didn't realize if I have Nexus, then it would void my Global Entry card. My question is should I cancel my Nexus application and eat the $50 to renew my Global Entry? I don't know when I'll feel like traveling to Canada (or near the US/Canada border) to do my interview or when these enrollment centers will be re-opened. It seems easier just to cancel Nexus and renew Global Entry but I wanted to know what others thought. Thanks!

Email from CBP:

Please note you can only have one program membership at a time.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has temporarily suspended operations at Trusted Traveler Program enrollment centers nationwide from March 19 until at least May 1, 2020. CBP is taking this precautionary measure to minimize the exposure of CBP personnel and the public to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

This temporary closure includes all public access Global Entry enrollment centers, NEXUS enrollment centers, SENTRI enrollment centers and FAST enrollment locations. Global Entry mobile enrollment events are also paused until further notice.

Conditionally-approved applicants seeking an enrollment center interview will need to reschedule after May 1. Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Program accounts for further information. CBP will continue to monitor the situation in order to resume enrollment centers interviews as soon as possible.

CBP’s highest priority is to ensure the health, safety and security of our workforce and the American people. CBP agents, officers and mission support personnel will continue to support the whole-of-government response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date). We recommend you print out a copy of your TTP Dashboard showing that the renewal is pending to show an Officer, if requested.

We can send your request to cancel your Nexus application to the Program Managers for resolution. Once cancelled you will then be able to renew your Global Entry membership. However, please note that the application fee is non-refundable per the terms and conditions you agreed to prior to making payment. If you still want to cancel, please reply to this email.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by sarahmchb
I live in Los Angeles and visit family once a year in British Columbia. I have Global Entry and my cousin advised me to apply for Nexus. (I didn't realize if I have Global Entry I'm able to use an expeditied lane to drive back into the U.S.?) It took over 5 months to get conditionally approved for Nexus. My interview in Canada was canceled due to the coronavirus which is understandable. My Global Entry is up for renewal in Sept. I can't renew it online as there's no renew button so I asked CBP about this. They sent me the below email. They're saying I can't be a member of both programs at the same time! I use my Global Entry a lot as I travel overseas. I didn't realize if I have Nexus, then it would void my Global Entry card. My question is should I cancel my Nexus application and eat the $50 to renew my Global Entry? I don't know when I'll feel like traveling to Canada (or near the US/Canada border) to do my interview or when these enrollment centers will be re-opened. It seems easier just to cancel Nexus and renew Global Entry but I wanted to know what others thought. Thanks!

Email from CBP:

Please note you can only have one program membership at a time.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has temporarily suspended operations at Trusted Traveler Program enrollment centers nationwide from March 19 until at least May 1, 2020. CBP is taking this precautionary measure to minimize the exposure of CBP personnel and the public to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

This temporary closure includes all public access Global Entry enrollment centers, NEXUS enrollment centers, SENTRI enrollment centers and FAST enrollment locations. Global Entry mobile enrollment events are also paused until further notice.

Conditionally-approved applicants seeking an enrollment center interview will need to reschedule after May 1. Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Program accounts for further information. CBP will continue to monitor the situation in order to resume enrollment centers interviews as soon as possible.

CBP’s highest priority is to ensure the health, safety and security of our workforce and the American people. CBP agents, officers and mission support personnel will continue to support the whole-of-government response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date). We recommend you print out a copy of your TTP Dashboard showing that the renewal is pending to show an Officer, if requested.

We can send your request to cancel your Nexus application to the Program Managers for resolution. Once cancelled you will then be able to renew your Global Entry membership. However, please note that the application fee is non-refundable per the terms and conditions you agreed to prior to making payment. If you still want to cancel, please reply to this email.
Welcome to FT.

It is a personal choice. NEXUS includes Global Entry privilege. In order to keep your Global Entry privilege, you need to:
1. Schedule your NEXUS interview at a NEXUS enrollment center before your GE expires
2. Abandon your NEXUS application, renew GE before GE expires

Many credit card companies reimburses GE application fee, not NEXUS.

Personally if I were you, I would keep NEXUS.

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Global Entry vs NEXUS
sarahmchb and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, sorry! I didn't realize I had done that!
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, 1KChinito. That's very helpful. I guess I have to decide if I want to travel for my Nexus interview. I have until May 29 to decide because then my Nexus application expires! Hopefully they can loosen the restrictions on that.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sarahmchb
Thank you, 1KChinito. That's very helpful. I guess I have to decide if I want to travel for my Nexus interview. I have until May 29 to decide because then my Nexus application expires! Hopefully they can loosen the restrictions on that.
You have one year from your NEXUS conditional approval date to schedule a NEXUS appointment and complete your interview.

Your absolute decision date is your Global Entry expiration date. I am sure COVID-19 is well under control by then.

Good luck.
sarahmchb likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
In normal times, absent any other considerations, Nexus is better than GE since it includes GE and is cheaper.
Under your unique set of circumstances, it may be easier to renew GE now, and wait for Nexus when things get closer to normal.
TWA884 and sarahmchb like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking of seeing how things go in the next few months and then decide. I checked and I do have until Sept to do my interview. So it's a matter of whether or not I'll feel up to traveling to Canada before then or if it'll be possible. But yeah, renewing GE seems less stressful during these strange times. Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
at least schedule your interview so you'll have it available. Get in before the rush. You can always reschedule.

Also note that you do not have to go to Canada, just near it. https://ttp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/sche...nal&service=nh has the list of locations.

That said, it's probably easiest to go to CA, as those locations tend to be in airports. LAX-YVR-LAX would be a fairly quick jump.
sarahmchb likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Cat Man Do! Yes, I could always cancel it. Maybe late August or early Sept would be a good time to interview. Hopefully by then I'll feel up for traveling or things will be safer and if not, I'll just stay in L.A. and renew GE.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:03 pm

Nexus application waiting since July 2020 - Global Entry almost expired

I applied for Nexus in July 2020 and it's still waiting for conditional approval. My understanding is they suspended Nexus during COVID? My main problem is my global entry expires May 2021 and I can't renew online at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/dashboard because of my outstanding Nexus app - seems you can only have one active application at a time. What can I do?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xrayflyer
I applied for Nexus in July 2020 and it's still waiting for conditional approval. My understanding is they suspended Nexus during COVID? My main problem is my global entry expires May 2021 and I can't renew online at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/dashboard because of my outstanding Nexus app - seems you can only have one active application at a time. What can I do?
CBP is supposedly providing a grace period of 18 months.
Originally Posted by txviking
My card expires in June of this year (2021). I applied for renewal in February, and have been waiting for conditional approval ever since. I did notice this in the portal:

"Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 12 months to 18 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 18 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

Apparently, that means I'm now good to go until December 2022, even with the renewal pending?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by xrayflyer
You can cancel your NEXUS application and renew your Global Entry before your Global Entry expires.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33173263-post42.html
Old May 18, 2021, 10:18 am

GE expiring, no option to renew

My GE is expiring in a few months, but I'm not seeing an option to renew. Did a little bit of research, and saw that a renewal option is not available if you have a pending application open. I did open a NEXUS application last year, but haven't been able to schedule my interview because of the pandemic. I don't mind cancelling the app if it means I can renew my GE, but I don't see that option anywhere. Anyone experienced this scenario?
Old May 18, 2021, 11:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk Mike Ess!

It's a common issue. I have merged your question into the relevant thread. Please read the previous posts here.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:47 pm

Renewing Global Entry with a pending NEXUS Application?

I am a US citizen currently enrolled in Global Entry which expires for me in April. As the expiration of my GE approached, I decided it was worth it for me to switch to NEXUS and so I applied, was conditionally approved, and had an interview scheduled for next month (February). Fast forward to today and my interview was cancelled due to COVID and they are not currently scheduling new interviews at the location in my state.

My question is if it is possible for me to to renew my GE while I still have a NEXUS conditional approval. I no longer see a renew button anywhere on my CBP profile but I see a button to turn my NEXUS application into a GE application. I don't care about my privileges at the border for the near future but my worry is that if I let my trusted traveler status lapse, I will lose access to PreCheck which is a much bigger deal for me.

Any advice on my situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.