Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Pre-clearance with Nexus At YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

Talked to an AC SD the other day who told me that the Nexus lines at YYZ in the last few days have been significant. Unclear if she meant security or immigration/customs. It delayed the departure of her flight to the US.

Flying transborder this week. Would appreciate an update as to whether this situation continues to try and judge how much time to allow for security etc with an early flight.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE-1MM
The YYZ transborder line on the morning of Sat 2/22/20 was nuts. Security was fine, but the GE/NEXUS CBP line went through the switchbacks, down past the machines, out the door, and back towards security.

Basically, you had to go past the line to the machines, get your slip, then go back to the end of the line and wait your turn. My wait was 35 mins per my chat logs, at 8am. I’m not sure of the root cause; they didn’t really ask for anything new, just kind of took...their...time...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My transit connection time through YYZ on Monday 17th was about 15 minutes . My return flight SFO/YYZ on Friday 21st was delayed almost 1 hour due to late arrival of inbound aircraft.
Reason given was passengers were late/slow processing US customs and immigration at YYZ. IOW ,they held a/c for passemgers
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
When I flew out of YYZ a couple of weeks ago the NEXUS security line was ridiculous. Took one look at it and went through the regular premium line and was through in less than five minutes. the customs and immigration line was backed up to the end of the global Entry machines but moved fairly quickly.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:50 am

For the longest time you just held up your paper and the customs agent waved you through. My last time through it was stand in a line so they could ask if you’d been to Wuhan. I suppose like anything else as more people use NEXUS the more it’s going to look like the regular customs process.

And don’t get me started on Nexus going through security to fly out of YYZ. The move to have nexus passengers walk through regular check in and bag drop is ridiculous. These passengers are much more likely to not need check in / bag drop and so you’re stuck with an unnecessarily long walk through a crowded area and against the flow of non-nexus passengers coming back from dropping off luggage.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this deals with Nexus it's been moved to the Trusted Travelers forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Joeyjo
And don’t get me started on Nexus going through security to fly out of YYZ. The move to have nexus passengers walk through regular check in and bag drop is ridiculous. These passengers are much more likely to not need check in / bag drop and so you’re stuck with an unnecessarily long walk through a crowded area and against the flow of non-nexus passengers coming back from dropping off luggage.
Yes. The recent "optimization" a few months ago is insane. Pro move is to take the premium line to go through security and once cleared through security take the GE line through US Customs. I am starting to think Pearson is trying to make Nexus as painful as possible throughout the terminal (including Domestic and International) so people just "give up" on the program. Rarely does it save time over regular priority security and normally is 2x longer. And if it isn't a long line they ensure it becomes a long line by diverting a bunch of PAX from the regular line who inevitably have not been in an airport in twenty years.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
My transit connection time through YYZ on Monday 17th was about 15 minutes . My return flight SFO/YYZ on Friday 21st was delayed almost 1 hour due to late arrival of inbound aircraft.
Reason given was passengers were late/slow processing US customs and immigration at YYZ. IOW ,they held a/c for passemgers
Pretty much what the SD described to me. Happy to report my experience later this week. Would appreciate it if others could do the same as the week progresses.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
3 weeks ago on Monday the Nexus line at T1 had about 40-50 folks at 2 PM. The regular lines had 0 people queued up. This is for the security screening. The screening was very thorough. ~70% of bags went to secondary screening by an agent that went through bags/backpacks.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Platinum
I think we need to elevate the discussion here and also share facts that any of us gather from reliable sources at YYZ. I travel out tomorrow afternoon (5pm flight) with a snow storm coming so should be interesting. I will post my times and overall observations as there is large number of people who would benefit and would like to understand what is the change causing the delays
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daltimas
I think we need to elevate the discussion here and also share facts that any of us gather from reliable sources at YYZ. I travel out tomorrow afternoon (5pm flight) with a snow storm coming so should be interesting. I will post my times and overall observations as there is large number of people who would benefit and would like to understand what is the change causing the delays
Sounds great. I will do the same.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Additional data point:

Thursday am (quite early) YYZ transborder with Nexus was great. Virtually no queue, despite several machines bring down. Regular line for customs/immigration was a snake thru the area with machines and out into the terminal.

Security screening moved quickly, too. However, I noticed that an unusually large number of bags were sent for additional screening. Probably 10 or 15 people waiting to retrieve their bag at the second screening area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.