Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

A few questions PreCheck vs Global entry vs Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

What program should we sign up for?

We are 74, USA born citizens, fly a few times a year (often out of the USA) and usually get pre check (not signed up for it) on our boarding docs from UA. We have been living in the UA forever. We have no arrests and do not even have an account with social media (I have an account with Facebook, no data and only one post..friends asked me to "like them"). Wife has traveled to Burma a few times for her prior work with a oil company. All other countries are generally thought of tourist places.

We have some more complicated flights coming up in Feb, so we though it worthwhile to get SOMETHING formal. The flight out of SAN (Compass) goes to LAX. Then on Cathay Pacific to HKG (hopefully things calm down) then on to DPS, still on Cathay. Not too concerned about that one. Coming back out of SYD on Air Canada to YVR will require some Canadian clearance (therefor the question about Nexus, something I know nothing about). The time is okay, but tight if anything modest gets behind (1 1/2 hrs). Is Global useful in Canada for us? We then continue back to SAN, on Jazz.

So we believe that we might as well get the Global entry, at least (will be paid by credit card programs up to $100 each). Is there anything that makes getting Global versus Pre check a negative? Now as to the Nexus, I cannot even figure out who needs it. Would it help us in YVR?

Thank you in advance
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ranles
So we believe that we might as well get the Global entry, at least (will be paid by credit card programs up to $100 each). Is there anything that makes getting Global versus Pre check a negative? Now as to the Nexus, I cannot even figure out who needs it. Would it help us in YVR?
Here are a few threads comparing the programs:
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you TWA 884.

Seem like where you go to after applying on the internet is a major issue. Nexus, while it may prove useful for us, cannot reasonable be obtained for our trip.

Global Entry is everything that PreCheck is and more. I have checked out the PC form, now I will do the GE. If not an issue, it seems a no brainer to do the GE. Both of us will use a statement credit for the payment.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is there anything that makes getting Global versus Pre check a negative?
GE is a discretionary program. So you have to undergo an interview at an airport or a designated CBP Office. In some cases you may have to explain about your past.

On the other hand, TSA PreCheck is a simple background check. And its requirement is more relax than GE.

If you most travel domestically, it is more hassle for GE than TSA PreCheck.

Now as to the Nexus, I cannot even figure out who needs it. Would it help us in YVR?
NEXUS is designed for frequent travelers crossing the U.S.-Canada border.

It won't help you in YVR, because:

1. As soon as you are only transiting in YVR, you are only subject to the U.S. formality as YVR is a U.S. pre-clearance port of entry. Canada will not do anything unless you enter Canada.

2. NEXUS, like GE, requires in-person interview. What makes NEXUS more troublesome is you have to be interviewed by both countries. Unless you live near an enrollment center or in a U.S.-Canada border state, it is not worth the trouble.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you.

I thought precheck also required an appointment and interview?

Last edited by ranles; Aug 27, 2019 at 2:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I thought precheck also required an appointment and interview?
Yes but not exactly the same. PreCheck requires an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. They won't ask you anything about your background. But the difference is for PreCheck, you have the choice to have your fingerprint taken elsewhere, which could be potentially minutes away from your home.

BTW - just noticed - this is my 10,000th post...LOL

Last edited by garykung; Aug 28, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you garykung.

Yes, I found a site several miles closer, away from SAN, where parking, congestion and travel would be a lot easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.