NEXUS and Global Entry Benefits

Old Jun 13, 19, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS
NEXUS and Global Entry Benefits

Hello,
I am enrolled in NEXUS since I travel frequently to and from Canada via Maine border crossings. I now have an added piece to my job which involves international travel every so often to Europe. I do not believe I am able to use my NEXUS card coming back from Europe at Global Entry kiosks in the US (am I?), and if I am not, can I enroll in Global Entry in addition to NEXUS to get that benefit? If so, how do I do that? Can I be enrolled in both programs?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I could not find the answer in the threads.

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RSmith8 View Post
Hello,
I am enrolled in NEXUS since I travel frequently to and from Canada via Maine border crossings. I now have an added piece to my job which involves international travel every so often to Europe. I do not believe I am able to use my NEXUS card coming back from Europe at Global Entry kiosks in the US (am I?), and if I am not, can I enroll in Global Entry in addition to NEXUS to get that benefit? If so, how do I do that? Can I be enrolled in both programs?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I could not find the answer in the threads.

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
If you're Canadian and enrolled in NEXUS that way, you are automatically also enrolled in Global Entry and are able to use your passport at Global Entry Kiosks to enter the US. There's several existing threads on this forum about that too if you search.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
Welcome to FlyerTalk @RSmith8 !

All current NEXUS members are eligible to use Global Entry kiosks once they provide fingerprints and document information to CBP. If CBP already has your fingerprints and document information on file, you can use Global Entry kiosks without further action and at no additional cost.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...lobal-entry%3F
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You absolutely can use the GE kiosks in the US as long as your fingerprints were taken. I use them all the time (I am Canadian) coming into the US from international flights and at pre-clearance Canadian airports. Your Nexus includes full GE benefits.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am a US Citizen- the website made it seem like NEXUS is only valid coming back to the US from Canadian airports or land borders. Thus, if I am traveling back from, say, Ireland, and have NEXUS Card, I can use that at Global Entry Kiosks at US airports just as if it were a Global Entry Card? I did give NEXUS fingerprints when I enrolled.

Thanks for the clarification on this!

Ryan
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks. I am a US Citizen- the website made it seem like NEXUS is only valid coming back to the US from Canadian airports or land borders. Thus, if I am traveling back from, say, Ireland, and have NEXUS Card, I can use that at Global Entry Kiosks at US airports just as if it were a Global Entry Card? I did give NEXUS fingerprints when I enrolled.

Ryan
Yes, absolutely. As I said, I use it entering the US from International flights all the time. No problem at all. GE is an included benefit of Nexus.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Finkface, I didn't see your reply when I sent my last message. This is great to know.

-Ryan
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:20 pm

Ryan
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Yes, absolutely. As I said, I use it entering the US from International flights all the time. No problem at all. GE is an included benefit of Nexus.
I am 95% sure that this is NOT true.

Global Entry is only included in NEXUS if you apply for it from Canada/as a Canadian, I remember reading about that back in the day. Trying to find info now.

In the US, NEXUS&Global Entry are separate programs and AFAIK you need to pay the extra GE fee. Someone from the US side of things might be able to assist with this.

edit: reading is super confusing, I'm not sure what's true anymore. All I know is that if you apply from the Canadian side, you get both. If you apply from the US side, I'm not sure and I'd wait for advice from someone who's applied from the US side.

edit: see below, I got it confused with the vice-versa

Last edited by Smiley90; Jun 13, 19 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.
Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart
Applying for Global Entry will deactivate your NEXUS card upon activation of the Global Entry card.

Please refer to the following thread:
NEXUS Card Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry Application
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I am 100% sure you are incorrect. Nexus includes all of the benefits of GE.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post

Global Entry is only included in NEXUS if you apply for it from Canada/as a Canadian, I remember reading about that back in the day. Trying to find info now.

In the US, NEXUS&Global Entry are separate programs and AFAIK you need to pay the extra GE fee. Someone from the US side of things might be able to assist with this.

edit: reading is super confusing, I'm not sure what's true anymore. All I know is that if you apply from the Canadian side, you get both. If you apply from the US side, I'm not sure and I'd wait for advice from someone who's applied from the US side.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Please refer to the DHS chart which I liked above: "Includes Global Entry benefits."
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I am 100% sure you are incorrect. Nexus includes all of the benefits of GE.
There goes the 5%:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

"All current NEXUS members, and U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents who are SENTRI members, are eligible to use Global Entry kiosks once they provide fingerprints and document information to CBP. If CBP already has your fingerprints and document information on file, you can use Global Entry kiosks without further action and at no additional cost. If you are a Mexican national in SENTRI, you must apply for Global Entry through your TTP account. For additional Global Entry benefit information, log on to your TTP account."

I think the vice-versa is what got me confused - Global Entry does not include NEXUS for US citizens, while in Canada you can't apply for Global Entry "by itself" at all - but you gets its benefits through NEXUS. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Please refer to the DHS chart which I liked above: "Includes Global Entry benefits."
​​​​​​​see above, just corrected myself
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the dialogue.

So as a US Citizen with NEXUS, do I have Global Entry in that I can return from a non-Canadian location (Europe) and use Global Entry Kiosk? On CBP website it says in some places that NEXUS gives GE when returning from Canada, and implies possibly not other countries. That is my point of intentionality I need clarified.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:30 pm

So as a US Citizen with NEXUS, do I have Global Entry in that I can return from a non-Canadian location (Europe) and use Global Entry Kiosk?
YES!
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:31 pm

Thanks for the dialogue.

So as a US Citizen with NEXUS, do I have Global Entry in that I can return from a non-Canadian location (Europe) and use Global Entry Kiosk? On CBP website it says in some places that NEXUS gives GE when returning from Canada, and implies possibly not other countries. That is my point of intentionality I need clarified.
Yes. Yes. Yes. I don’t know how many more ways I can say it. Nexus includes full GE benefits. You can use the Global Entry kiosks anywhere, coming in from anywhere.

But as you don’t seem to want to believe the four or five people who have told you this already, I suggest you do your own research. Although why you asked when you were mot prepared to accept the answer is a little baffling. And frankly a little disrespectful to those of us who have answered you repeatedly.

Search this Thread