Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA Precheck remove electronics from bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Just went through TSA Pre at JFK. It should be noted that I went through this exact same checkpoint a couple weeks ago and everything was normal. And also went through several TSA checkpoints earlier this week and noticed no difference from normal. But this time the TSA agent was yelling that everyone had to take all electronics out of their bags, "everything that plugs in" in her her words. Everyone was confused and she was very rude. She acted as if she expected us to have known about this in advance. When she was asked what was going on she just said "new rules" even though the TSA website and checkpoint signage say nothing about this, and other airports don't seem to be practicing it.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Or was there some rule change or announcement that I missed? I'm aware of the other TSA rule changes that happened this year but I was under the impression they did not apply to Precheck. In this case it was still slightly different from the non-Precheck line; the electronics did not have to each go in their own bins, they could all go into the same bin. Though they had to be separate from bags (this was one of the new "smart" checkpoints with the automated bins). And the other Precheck perks were still intact.

Last edited by Kumulani; Nov 12, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
The only change I know about specifically exempted PreCheck

Back in July TSA announced all electronics larger than cell phones needed to be removed at certain airports, but this change exempted PreCheck.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.