Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do travellers keep GE slip?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Do travellers keep GE slip?

I used GE for the first time a few days ago at T7 JFK... best £/$100 I've spent all year.

Quick question - the customs officer took my Global Entry receipt as I was leaving the baggage area.... was I meant to hand this in, or keep it?

If it was meant to be handed in, what proof do I have that I entered the country, and my leaving date, if I am ever stopped by immigration officials, as I am a UK citizen?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
He should take the receipt with your pic on, not the other one that is for you. I always throw the one without the photo away.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
He should take the receipt with your pic on, not the other one that is for you. I always throw the one without the photo away.
I only got 1 receipt with my photo on it, which they took.... was I meant to get 2?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: GE
I only ever get one, which is collected at customs inspection.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TangoFive
I only got 1 receipt with my photo on it, which they took.... was I meant to get 2?
No, I have never gotten more than one receipt and the CBP agent at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility always kept the one that was printed by the kiosk.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always get 2, one with photo, one as a receipt, I have a British passport, this has been discussed before on other threads, but I am not sure if there was a conclusion as to the reason.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Canadian passport. Get 2 slips. I never keep the second one. That is simply a receipt for your records. I just make sure my entry code is correct, and toss it away.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by porphyra
Canadian passport. Get 2 slips. I never keep the second one. That is simply a receipt for your records. I just make sure my entry code is correct, and toss it away.
Thats odd I got two slips on my British Passport but have never got two on my Canadian passport. Are you on some kind of visa? Or just using B status?
Old May 2, 2017, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Foreigners get a second slip from the GE machines. I would think of it as the equivalent of an officer stamping your passport. It's not very prudent to throw the slip out while you're in the country, especially if you're on an ESTA.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jpdx
Foreigners get a second slip from the GE machines. I would think of it as the equivalent of an officer stamping your passport.
Live and learn.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Foreigners get a second slip from the GE machines. I would think of it as the equivalent of an officer stamping your passport. It's not very prudent to throw the slip out while you're in the country, especially if you're on an ESTA.
Good point, but really I don't think it should matter, because what really matters is your I-94 record which can be retrieved from the online I-94 website. That carries the real status of your entry/stay. The receipt from the GE machines is essentially that, a receipt. How many receipts is one going to hold on to, in lieu of passport stamps (in my case, the number would upwards of 50!!)?

For all official purposes, I have always been asked for a copy of my I-94; never once has a GE receipt been asked for.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by porphyra
Good point, but really I don't think it should matter, because what really matters is your I-94 record which can be retrieved from the online I-94 website. That carries the real status of your entry/stay. The receipt from the GE machines is essentially that, a receipt. How many receipts is one going to hold on to, in lieu of passport stamps (in my case, the number would upwards of 50!!)?

For all official purposes, I have always been asked for a copy of my I-94; never once has a GE receipt been asked for.
I don't think it's necessary to keep a prior trip's slip with you for future travels, but I think it's prudent advice to keep the current one while you're in the country. It's not exactly a huge burden to keep a slip of paper in your passport for the duration of a trip.

In addition to that, I try to keep a record of my travels, and I have a box at home where I keep 100+ slips from various trips to the US, Hong Kong, Macao, etc.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Any ideas as to why I didn't get the second receipt? I entered on a UK passport.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most non-US citizens using GE do indeed get a second slip from the GE machines. Not all non-US citizens do. I was shown a process map of sort about this a while back and it was implied at the time that some GE users who weren't US citizens weren't going to be given two slips (at least not always). I'll try to find out what the factors are for when non-US-citizen users of GE get only one slip. Some don't get a second and it's not all due to accident.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TangoFive
Any ideas as to why I didn't get the second receipt? I entered on a UK passport.
It has happened to me sometimes too. Wait for second receipt and it never appears so I just don't bother as long as the primary one is out. But I have no idea why you didn't get it, but you are not alone !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.