Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Definitive List of Airports w/o Pre✓ Lanes for Int'l Arrivals w/ Domestic Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive List of Airports w/o Pre✓ Lanes for Int'l Arrivals w/ Domestic Connections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

The thread on the divergent ways airports handle GE passengers made me start thinking about the lack of precheck for domestic connections in some airports. Do we have a definitive list on these airports? If you want to get through precheck, is it better to just exit the sterile area and then go through precheck security lane? Where are these airports and what are the logistics involved? Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You are already outside the sterile area when you exit US customs (at US airports).
Old May 3, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by seawolf
You are already outside the sterile area when you exit US customs (at US airports).
At most US airports.
There are a few which have a feed into the sterile area for connecting passengers.

MIA's Concourse D FIS is one example.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you are in sterile area, you would not have go thru security check.

What the OP is asking is when I exit customs, is it better to go thru the nearest checkpoint (without PreCheck) or go find one with PreCheck.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:18 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
For IAH after the customs exit, including GE users, before exiting the int'l arrivals hall, there are baggage recheck desks and the entrance to a checkpoint that only those coming off int'l flights normally have access too. As far as I know this one does not have full pre-check.
However, one can exit the int'l arrivals room, walk to the left, take the escalator upstairs and have pre-check at the main terminal E checkpoint (or take the pre-security subway train to terms A, B, or C that all have pre-check)
Old May 3, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Not intending to be flippant, serious question: would it be shorter to list the US airports that *do* have a PreCheck lane in a dedicated international-to-domestic screening area? All of the ones I'm familiar with do not, but that's only a small subset of all the US airports with international arrivals so I honestly don't know

Originally Posted by seawolf
What the OP is asking is when I exit customs, is it better to go thru the nearest checkpoint (without PreCheck) or go find one with PreCheck.
Maybe the thing to do is have a wiki listing how to get to the closest PreCheck lane. Although the airline-specific forums typically have a thread about connections and MCT for their respective hubs so it could go there too.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
At most US airports.
There are a few which have a feed into the sterile area for connecting passengers.

MIA's Concourse D FIS is one example.
One can't be in a sterile area with luggage. I think you're confusing the fact you can clear right after customs without going to the main checkpoint. Most major airports have a checkpoint after customs to dump passengers back into secure area.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
ATL E Concourse (which is meant only for connecting passengers as it will only feed into the sterile area) lacks a PreCheck line. It can often be faster to walk to F and clear FIS and Pre there than wait in the very long lines for TSA at E.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe the thing to do is have a wiki listing how to get to the closest PreCheck lane. Although the airline-specific forums typically have a thread about connections and MCT for their respective hubs so it could go there too.
Excellent idea. ^
Old May 12, 2017, 11:58 am

DTW no longer has TSA Pre Lite after Customs. Now there is a sign directing you upstairs to the departure level if you want TSA Pre.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
IAD midfield is an example of one of these "traps". If you have checked bags and are connecting, you have to go through immigration/baggage claim/customs midfield, and then you end up in a corridor that exits only into a TSA screening checkpoint (no way to get properly landside, but you're not sterile either - the only way out is via sterile). In the past they didn't have precheck there, although that's apparently changed in the last year.

SFO int'l arrivals dump you one floor below checkin and security checkpoints, you're essentially free to go wherever, and most checkpoints there have Pre. EWR is similar, except most departures are in the next terminal so you take a landside train over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.