Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checkered Past Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Checkered Past Global Entry

May 18 applied for global entry, at first i decided not to go after reading all the horror stories i have read. . Well i got nothing to lose but 100 bucks. Nov 16 interview.
Walkin name called to back, i go sit down, ask why i want Global Entry so i dont have to wait in SFO and LAX long lines. Fingerprint and photo taken. ask have you been arrested? YES, he grabs a paper and pen and we discuss my past from 25 yrs ago.Answered honestly and truthful. Wait for it, Wait for it.
Im Sorry but you dont qualify the for the Program which i already knew the answer. I ask maybe i have 5 minutes of your time, Sure he replies.

Here we go, I dont live my life in past only the present cause tomorrow is not promised to us. A little History, USA bombed Japan, we were at war in Philipines/ Vietnam etc. Why do we have Military presence in these places. Time has changed and things have changed, people changed im not the young guy your looking at in your 25 yr old computer, but i sit hear in front you in the present as a GROWN MAN.

i pull out my two old passports 20 yrs worth, is there any CBP violations. he looks threw them. Now i show him my TSA precheck, now he is starting to write on his paper takes my KTN number. Time to lay it on thick. i have his attention now. I show him my Hazmat endorsement thru Homeland Security. explain to him what im able to do. even show the ERG book. also i show my Bafte permit and orange book. i explain to him the theses permits and license allow me to do business in 50 states and 365 days a year. I may travel internationally 2-3 year a times. He still taking down information. He comments IF 2 Federal agencies deem me LOW RISK why cant CBP, He seconding guessing himself now.he will take this to his Supervisor. thats all i can ask for. i needed to be heard. i thank him for his time and off i go.

NOV 16 interview--Nov 29 Approved. where there is a will there is a way.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So you got conditionally approved and then had to explain why you should get final approval despite an old record that may cause a CBP reviewer to consider denial of final approval during the in-person "interview"? That is how it's supposed to work. It's why those with checkered pasts should go in prepared when trying to go from conditional approval to final approval for GE.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So you got conditionally approved and then had to explain why you should get final approval despite an old record that may cause a CBP reviewer to consider denial of final approval during the in-person "interview"? That is how it's supposed to work. It's why those with checkered pasts should go in prepared when trying to go from conditional approval to final approval for GE.
And...certain offense do result in a flat-out "no." No conditional approval, no interview. The fact you got the interview indicates your crime fell into a gray area.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
havoc1300, welcome to FT. Thank you for sharing your great story.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
And...certain offense do result in a flat-out "no." No conditional approval, no interview. The fact you got the interview indicates your crime fell into a gray area.
Indeed certain kinds of checkered pasts result in not even getting conditionally approved. Some who are even seeking conditional approval can try to fight the initial denial/rejection, but often it wouldn't be all that worth it.

The OP seems to have been conditionally approved despite having a kind of checkered past that doesn't prevent conditional approval. There is a lot more of that going on than of getting GE after failing to get even conditionally approved earlier. Usually it's not worth it to legally fight to get conditionally approved. For those conditionally approved but with a checkered past, being prepared and forward with how to deal with the checkered past can make all the difference for whether conditional approval is or is not followed by final approval. The OP demonstrates this.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:19 pm

i was approved with a 14 year old shoplifting conviction. got the approval 10 minutes after the interview
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by evor1
i was approved with a 14 year old shoplifting conviction. got the approval 10 minutes after the interview
Confession time?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Your past is what it is .you dwell on it, time to move forward. Whatever demons that may have haunted you. Let them know you been to rehab counseling AA etc etc. What ever you have to show bring it and show it in black and white. Place it so they can see it with there own eyes.You are no longer a threat to yourself or society. Only thing he sees is what is in front of his computer. Make them take a second look, have them make the decision in house, once it goes past that who knows what happens from their.. Lost in the shuffle I suppose..Good luck
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by havoc1300
Your past is what it is .you dwell on it, time to move forward. Whatever demons that may have haunted you. Let them know you been to rehab counseling AA etc etc. What ever you have to show bring it and show it in black and white. Place it so they can see it with there own eyes.You are no longer a threat to yourself or society. Only thing he sees is what is in front of his computer. Make them take a second look, have them make the decision in house, once it goes past that who knows what happens from their.. Lost in the shuffle I suppose..Good luck
I think the big difference in your case is you were able to show your:

• Two old passports 20 yrs worth with no CBP violations
  • TSA precheck and your KTN number
  • Hazmat endorsement thru Homeland Security
  • ERG book
  • Bafte permit and orange book

This should encourage others with similar situation to get their paper work in order at interview.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I think the big difference in your case is you were able to show your:

• Two old passports 20 yrs worth with no CBP violations
  • TSA precheck and your KTN number
  • Hazmat endorsement thru Homeland Security
  • ERG book
  • Bafte permit and orange book

This should encourage others with similar situation to get their paper work in order at interview.
Very true....take the past out of the equation and focus on the present..I'm sure that what the decision was based on.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
What's an ERG book and a Bafte permit ?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
What's an ERG book and a Bafte permit ?
emergency response guidebook from US Department of Transportation. May have something to do with the use of hazardous material transport and use.

BAFTE = bureau of alcohol, firearms, tobacco, explosives -- what a combo. It's under the US Department of Justice ever since it got moved from the US Treasury Department.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by havoc1300
Congratulations! You brought a bundle to the interview:

1. Preparation
2. Conscientiousness
3. Social skills
4. Presentation skills
5. Communication skills
6. Honesty
7. A track record of integrity

Your story should be made into a Wiki for all to read.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 1, 2016 at 11:29 am Reason: spelling error
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
Congratulations! You brought a bundle to the interview:

1. Preparation
2. Conscientiousness
3. Social skills
4. Presentation skills
5. Communicabskills
6. Honesty
7. A track record of integrity

Your story should be made into a Wiki for all to read.
Most importantly, the OP came to the credibility interview with a conditional approval.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
emergency response guidebook from US Department of Transportation. May have something to do with the use of hazardous material transport and use.

BAFTE = bureau of alcohol, firearms, tobacco, explosives -- what a combo. It's under the US Department of Justice ever since it got moved from the US Treasury Department.
You google that.^^ .There others out there that have the same thing. I got him to say it which i was already thinking. So why would i be denied if im already cleared thru other Government agencies. For others what can you use that will take the focus off your past and who you are now in the present. that might help get a second look. Coach Youth football, Boys and girls club, help at a homeless shelter, CCw permits etc etc.. LOW RISK is the KEY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.