Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Had PreCheck on the boarding pass, but TSA scanner beeped only once

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

A few days again, I got my electronic boarding pass, which has the TSA Pre designation. However, at the airport, the TSA scanner only beeped once. It seemed not a scanner issue, as the person in front of me did get 3 beeps.

I commented that how come I got only 1 beep. The TSA ID checker giggled, and said that I was OK and let me use the PreCheck lane. I did not remember where he looked at the boarding pass on my phone, nor whether he giggled at the tone of my comment or the scanner acted up. Anybody has similar experience? Or was there something else strange?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mike_L
A few days again, I got my electronic boarding pass, which has the TSA Pre designation. However, at the airport, the TSA scanner only beeped once. It seemed not a scanner issue, as the person in front of me did get 3 beeps.

I commented that how come I got only 1 beep. The TSA ID checker giggled, and said that I was OK and let me use the PreCheck lane. I did not remember where he looked at the boarding pass on my phone, nor whether he giggled at the tone of my comment or the scanner acted up. Anybody has similar experience? Or was there something else strange?
Ditto. Had that at EUG yesterday. ID checker said it was if the BP was printed at home but airport printed BP's still beeped three times.

Was getting 3 beeps on home printed BP's last week at PDX.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Airlines don't charge extra (maybe not RyanAir) for printing a bp. I normally have my print at home bp (printed on my $30 LASER printer), and print a second bp at the airport...just in cased there is a mis- read/print.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Airlines don't charge extra (maybe not RyanAir) for printing a bp. I normally have my print at home bp (printed on my $30 LASER printer), and print a second bp at the airport...just in cased there is a mis- read/print.
Spirit/NK? I thought I heard that this American carrier tried to charge for boarding pass issuance too.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Some posts in the PreCheck thread in the UA forum indicate this is a recent change. 1 beep seems to be the new norm...
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jeebus
Some posts in the PreCheck thread in the UA forum indicate this is a recent change. 1 beep seems to be the new norm...
I can confirm that on Wednesday, my American Airlines boarding pass with a Pre✓ logo beeped only once. I noticed that the digital readout on the scanner read something to the effect that the digital signature was validated. I asked the TSA document checker about the beep numbers, the answer was that sometimes these boarding passes beep once and at other times they beeped three times.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Still three beeps at SEA, with United. I was the only Pre user, so I couldn't observe anyone else.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Spirit/NK? I thought I heard that this American carrier tried to charge for boarding pass issuance too.
They do. $10 iirc
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Thanks for confirming that I was not crazy. Just a data point, mine was on AA on an iPhone at DCA. I was in a hurry that day and did not have time to print a BP on a kiosk, which I normally did.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mike_L
Thanks for confirming that I was not crazy. Just a data point, mine was on AA on an iPhone at DCA. I was in a hurry that day and did not have time to print a BP on a kiosk, which I normally did.
Mine was a paper boarding pass that I printed at home.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
More data points from additional flights
EUG (as above), 1 beep, from both home & airport kiosk printed BPs, PreCheck lite airport
BLI, 1 beep, home (hotel) printed BP, PreCheck lite airport
PDX, 3 beeps, airport kiosk printed BP (from same kiosk in EUG that only beeped once when used in EUG), full PreCheck airport

No luck getting any comments from the ID checker on the three vs. one beeps on these visits due to the back up in the lines or non-chatty agent.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:22 am

No more 3 beeps for PreCheck

Noticed this change this weekend while flying but the boarding pass scanners no longer beep three times when scanning an LLL boarding pass. I asked a TSO at STL about it and she said the change rolled out in the past week or so.

EDIT: bah just realized someone already started a thread here for it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...only-once.html mods feel free to merge/delete this
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:28 am

I flew BOS>STL>BOS this weekend on WN and only got 1 beep each time using my e-boarding pass on my iphone. According to the doc checker at STL 1 beep is the new norm and they rolled out a firmware update to the scanners in the past week or so. Everyone else around me in the precheck lines in both directions only got one beep as well. I belive the LLL designation still appears on their screen though.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Single beeps on my mobile BP the last two times through MCI. Pretty sure I Oy a triple beep at DFW in late August, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Still had the LLLL designation, despite the single beep..
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
More data points: ATL and IAD within the past week for me. Scanners at both are giving some people one beep and others three beeps. Was doing that as recently as this morning in ATL.

In one of the DL threads there is also note of green vs. yellow lights and speculation that three beeps is for Pre-only people, whereas one beep is for GE/Nexus folks.

I'm GE and have been getting a single beep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.