Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry by 12/23/15?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Global Entry by 12/23/15?

We're traveling from LAX to Sydney this Christmas. What are the chances of completing the GE process before our flight? Is there any way to find out about available appointments at LAX or Long Beach before applying?

Thanks,

Last edited by Hank Moody; Nov 20, 2015 at 9:19 pm
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hank Moody
We're traveling from LAX to Sydney this Christmas. What are the chances of completing the GE process before our flight? Is there any way to find out about available appointments at LAX or Long Beach before applying?

Thanks,
Barring any issues in your background you have sufficient time to get through the process. I don't know of any way to check available appointments unless somebody here or somebody you know who is already in the process can check for you. My impression from when we went through the process appointment availability is extremely fluid and changes rapidly on a daily if not more frequently so what it looks like today would be no guarantee or indicator of hardly what it would look like tomorrow. Doesn't help that the events of the past weeks is going to put everybody from travelers to security, immigration, customs, etc. authorities more on edge. I expect a surge in Trusted Traveler program applications as people try to avoid or reduce the impact of what rightfully or wrongly will be more stringent processing.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Just set up a GOES account and prepared an application for myself. It looks like I need a separate GOES account for my wife, correct? How do I submit an application for my 6 year old daughter?

Also, what's the right answer to the criminal conviction question for a teenage misdemeanor charge that was expunged? I saw another post where someone had problems for answering "no." Mine was nearly 45 years ago.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Just set up a GOES account and prepared an application for myself. It looks like I need a separate GOES account for my wife, correct? How do I submit an application for my 6 year old daughter?

Also, what's the right answer to the criminal conviction question for a teenage misdemeanor charge that was expunged? I saw another post where someone had problems for answering "no." Mine was nearly 45 years ago.
As far as I know, your daughter needs a separate GOES account as well. I presume that as her parent, you can create that on her behalf, but I'm not sure.

As for the teenage misdemeanor, I'd be truthful. The application asks if you've ever been arrested. Answer yes, and explain the circumstances during the interview. From reading the forums, it appears people aren't getting denied for old arrests, they're getting denied for failing to disclose them, which CBP perceives as not being truthful.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Actually, the website doesn't ask about arrests, it asks about convictions. I don't want to sound naive, but my situation (pot possession) never went to trial. I was 15 so I have no idea if I was convicted or not. However, when I turned 18, I applied to have the record expunged and was told by the court that it happened. I guess of there was a record to be expunged, there was a conviction?

Separately, can multiple GOES accounts use the same email address?

Originally Posted by txviking
As far as I know, your daughter needs a separate GOES account as well. I presume that as her parent, you can create that on her behalf, but I'm not sure.

As for the teenage misdemeanor, I'd be truthful. The application asks if you've ever been arrested. Answer yes, and explain the circumstances during the interview. From reading the forums, it appears people aren't getting denied for old arrests, they're getting denied for failing to disclose them, which CBP perceives as not being truthful.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by txviking

CBP runs your fingerprints against the FBI, so if they're in there for any reason, CBP will find them. I know this because my prints are on file due to various background checks, and the CBP officer who ran my prints asked if I was ever arrested. Once I explained why there was a hit on my prints, the application was approved.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

My fingerprints are in the FBI system because I hold a professional license. In any event, can the disclosure of a conviction on the GE application back-fill to places where it doesn't exist, and come back to haunt me later? Or can I simply say "no" to the written application and disclose it verbally to the officer?

Originally Posted by dustman81
CBP runs your fingerprints against the FBI, so if they're in there for any reason, CBP will find them. I know this because my prints are on file due to various background checks, and the CBP officer who ran my prints asked if I was ever arrested. Once I explained why there was a hit on my prints, the application was approved.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
My fingerprints are in the FBI system because I hold a professional license. In any event, can the disclosure of a conviction on the GE application back-fill to places where it doesn't exist, and come back to haunt me later? Or can I simply say "no" to the written application and disclose it verbally to the officer?
If you've been convicted, you should disclose it on the application. Don't hide anything from CBP, they have extensive powers to dig into your background.

For example, an applicant from Texas was denied GE due to an a juvenile arrest in Georgia in 1974.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/bu...-law.html?_r=0
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Read it. Now I understand.

The question is, would the conviction make me ineligible, even if disclosed? If so, shouldn't I can the whole thing and apply for PreCheck instead?

Originally Posted by dustman81
If you've been convicted, you should disclose it on the application. Don't hide anything from CBP, they have extensive powers to dig into your background.

For example, an applicant from Texas was denied GE due to an a juvenile arrest in Georgia in 1974.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/bu...-law.html?_r=0
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Read it. Now I understand.

The question is, would the conviction make me ineligible, even if disclosed? If so, shouldn't I can the whole thing and apply for PreCheck instead?
A misdemeanor conviction as a minor shouldn't make you ineligible. I would just answer the question "yes" and explain during the interview. I doubt you'll have any problems. I was approved with a years-old arrest on my record and my wife was approved with an old misdemeanor conviction on hers.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the answer. I submitted the application, marking yes and providing the details.
Originally Posted by bevoinva
A misdemeanor conviction as a minor shouldn't make you ineligible. I would just answer the question "yes" and explain during the interview. I doubt you'll have any problems. I was approved with a years-old arrest on my record and my wife was approved with an old misdemeanor conviction on hers.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Open a separate GOES account for her. Supply her information yourself on her behalf. When one of you gets an interview, figure on going together. Try to schedule back to back, but my experience was they did us both at same time with only one appointment.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Will our 6 year old have to appear as well?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Will out 6 year old have to appear as well?
yes, for picture and fingerprints.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
yes, for picture and fingerprints.
Don't count on the 6 year old getting fingerprints taken. Some locations don't collect minors fingerprints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.