Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Will I be denied GE because of Kinder Eggs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be denied GE because of Kinder Eggs?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
These stupid consumer protection laws ("stupid consumer" protection or stupid "consumer protection" laws? you be the judge!) are also what did away with any good prizes in cereal and cracker jack boxes. Never again will we ever wonder wonder wonder wonder what's in a wonder ball.

Apparently, someone came up with an alternative. The solution was basically a bigger chocolate ball to accommodate bigger toys. The Kinder eggs typically have small pieces which you have to fit together, which the CPSC deems a choking hazard.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1290804

Not saying I agree with it b/c I may know somebody not naming any names who may or may not have brought Kinder eggs to his or her kid(s) from overseas on one or more occasions.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that in the context of this thread about GE, the point is that attempting to import contraband is a bad idea. If you want the law changed, work to change it. But, violating it, won't get you far on the GE front.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up. Went on a few international trips and was subject to extra questions. Even a customs agent saying "busted for kinder eggs, huh?" in a joking manner. Decided to apply for GE and was approved. Disclosed kinder eggs incident and the GE agent didn't seem to care.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update! Now the question is whether you'll be booted from GE if you're caught with kinder eggs. I didn't bother trying to bring some back from Europe recently, although a buddy of mine brings some back every trip he takes to Europe (which is about 15 per year).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Highly doubt it. Just declare chocolates. They either waive you by without inspection or inspect and seize. Highly doubt majority of GE members know Kinder Eggs are banned nor does CBP expect you to. They only want you to declare so that they can make the determination on the admissibility of articles.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 8, 2016 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:45 am

I have no idea what the hack is a kinder egg until I google it. Now I know! We bought candy/chocolate around the world back to US for my kid to make his youtube videos on tasting world's candies. I guess kinder eggs are off that list!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
I have no idea what the hack is a kinder egg until I google it. Now I know! We bought candy/chocolate around the world back to US for my kid to make his youtube videos on tasting world's candies. I guess kinder eggs are off that list!
You can always bring the kid to countries when Kinder Egg are allowed and make the video there.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Thanks for the update! Now the question is whether you'll be booted from GE if you're caught with kinder eggs. I didn't bother trying to bring some back from Europe recently, although a buddy of mine brings some back every trip he takes to Europe (which is about 15 per year).
FWIW, KinderEggs were featured in the story told by the CBP person doing my interview - to illustrate the zero tolerance policy.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:39 pm

Kinder Joy and GE

My GE was revoked ..and yes stupid ban because almost every food convenience store sells it. I have written to them ..

10-15 days for the answer
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Crs Murthy
My GE was revoked ..and yes stupid ban because almost every food convenience store sells it. I have written to them ..

Did you declare the candy before it was confiscated?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here in search of information and practical advice about applying for the various Trusted Travelers programs; please limit your postings here to asking for and providing practical information, and sharing experiences and data points.

commentary and opinions of the US ban on Kinder Eggs belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Crs Murthy

Kinder Joy and GE
Were the products in question Kinder Joy (egg shape separates into two sealed halves, one half contains food, other half contains toy) or Kinder Surprise (toy contained within an egg-shaped chocolate shell)? The Joy product is legal and is sold in the United States. If you declared food when entering you should be good.
seawolf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.