Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Delta Medallion PreCheck Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Medallion PreCheck Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM United MM, Marriott P for life
It is most likely a glitch. But it can be overcome. If you do not have Pre-Check on your boarding pass. Do as LBJ recommends. However, by check-in time there are certain things you can not correct. Correct as many as you can, call res have the RA uncheck you in and fix any errors that you couldn't. When you check in again you will have Pre-Check on your boarding pass.

Even if you do not find any errors in your reservation the glitch could have been that link between Delta and the TSA was down when you checked in. Again call res and have the RA uncheck you in. I have had this happen a half a dozen times and have always been successful in ultimately getting Pre-Check on my boarding pass prior to getting to security.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
It's not a glitch. There is an intentional random factor to who gets PreCheck, which you and your wife have experienced. Generally those who have enrolled in GE or PreCheck are more likely to get selected for PreCheck on any flight, but it's not guaranteed.
While theoretically this is true, it doesn't really happen if there are no inconsistencies - it is more likely the OP has a glitch.

I have never had a situation where I haven't gotten PreCheck (although I am fortunate in not having a middle name)
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver
Delta pre check & global entry

My understanding of PreCheck is that if you have paid for it, you will always get it but if an airline give it to you as a frequent flyer you are subject to random instances.

Also I just read an article recently that TSA is going away from airline giveaways, meaning that eventually you will have to be a paid subscriber to get it.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jims66
My understanding of PreCheck is that if you have paid for it, you will always get it but if an airline give it to you as a frequent flyer you are subject to random instances.
Not quite. TSA has made it very clear since the beginning that no one is guaranteed to clear PC all the time.

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed TSA Pre✓™ screening.
Originally Posted by jims66
Also I just read an article recently that TSA is going away from airline giveaways, meaning that eventually you will have to be a paid subscriber to get it.
Yes, it will be better once TSA stops giving away free PC but eventually could still be quite some time from now.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Is tsa pre check the same as global entry?
No. Two completely separate programs, although "having" TSA Pre√ is a by product of having GE in many but not all cases.

I ask because I have pre check with delta but didn't pay for it.
I'm not sure how you "have" it (unless you mean Delta invited you) versus having gotten Pre√

Mrs Rocket paid for global entry and insists that she gets global entry.
If she paid for Global Entry why would she not get Global Entry - I don't see your point here.

I argued that it shouldn't make any difference whose profile is used to book the ticket so long as the correct information is contained within each delta sky miles profile.
I concur with you on this 100%.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Yes, it will be better once TSA stops giving away free PC but eventually could still be quite some time from now.
Based on very recent news reports, it sounds like this is happening already and in the field reports from FlyerTalkers indicate that Pre√ lines are not overrun by those who don't belong there.

See this (from our newsroom):
TSA to Eliminate Random PreCheck Access, Focus on Prescreened, Registered Travelers
The Transportation Security Administration announced that it would soon be discontinuing its practice of allowing randomly selected passengers to use its PreCheck security lanes.

In an interview with the New York Times last week, TSA administrator John S. Pistole said that “we want to, frankly, cater to those who have actually signed up, and who we have the highest confidence in because we know the most about them.”...
<SNIP>
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
While theoretically this is true, it doesn't really happen if there are no inconsistencies - it is more likely the OP has a glitch.

I have never had a situation where I haven't gotten PreCheck (although I am fortunate in not having a middle name)
I agree. Being a Global Entry/Nexus/Trusted Traveler for several years now, I have used Pre-Check from its inception, and I don't recall even one time when I haven't been selected for Pre-Check.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
There's only been one time since I got global entry where I wasn't selected for precheck. However, I think there must have been a CBP computer issue because the GOES website wasn't accessible at the time, so later on I removed my KTN, added it back and then checked back in, and precheck showed that time.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jspira
Based on very recent news reports, it sounds like this is happening already and in the field reports from FlyerTalkers indicate that Pre√ lines are not overrun by those who don't belong there.
I have read those recent reports but I can assure you MCO is the same as it has been for many months. Must have been close to 30 in the PC line this morning. Maybe MCO didn’t get the memo.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I have read those recent reports but I can assure you MCO is the same as it has been for many months. Must have been close to 30 in the PC line this morning. Maybe MCO didn’t get the memo.
Nor did LGA. Terminal D yesterday afternoon, at the leftmost checkpoint, was putting both regular, Sky Priority, and Pre-Check passengers through the same X-Ray and metal-detector lane. Worst part is, because it's a Pre-Check lane, there are no regular-sized bins, and cue massive passenger confusion. I shouldn't fly on weekends...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
What gets me and it happens frequently in places like Boise, when the PreCheck line is fairly empty they just funnel people from the regular line in, and I get to stand behind someone taking off their shoes and removing their liquids because they don't know the drill while an agent has to explain that they don't have to.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
What gets me and it happens frequently in places like Boise, when the PreCheck line is fairly empty they just funnel people from the regular line in, and I get to stand behind someone taking off their shoes and removing their liquids because they don't know the drill while an agent has to explain that they don't have to.
This happens at MDW all the time too. Once late last year they were even just funneling anyone with 'zone 1' on their DL BPs to the Pre line.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
If you read above, TSA is doing away with the random access to those not registered or over 75.

As for the poster complaining about MCO. It's the end of summer, there's LOTS of elites/known travelers going there right now. It's the last three or four weeks the kids have off (who can use it if there parent gets it). Also the note from TSA said it would be ending shortly, it may not have taken effect yet.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Nice and quiet in the SEA and BOS precheck lines when i went through
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
The ATL South line was its typical mid-week AM length when I went through on Wednesday. Older man in front of me had random or 75+ Pre-Check, but he was very politely asking questions to make sure he did the right thing. Didn't help that the man in front of him "paid $85 for Pre-Check" and very passionately believed it should not be given away for free.

To the OP, as Global Entry, I have been 100% for the past two years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.