Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do I use the new Nexus machines? Where do you insert your card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone. I've had Nexus for a couple years now no issues. I just got back from Vegas from Toronto for a week but couldn't get the machine to work. Flying from Terminal 3 at YYZ they only have Global Entry machines, which work no problem, put your passport in, scan your fingers and no issue (other than the photo it took of me had my passport in my mouth lol).

However coming home I took a redeye flight, so was basically 6:30am yesterday which felt like 3:30 to me and was running on zero sleep, so might have been part of it lol. Anyway, at customs in YYZ Terminal 3, they only have Nexus machines. I went up to it, touched the screen and it said insert your card, which I remember is something new from a recent email. However where do you put the card? The only thing I could see was basically one of those big readers where you put your passport in. I put the Nexus on there but didn't seem right, as the opening is 3x bigger than the card, and the card could just spin around.

It said insert all the way so I pushed it in more without letting go as I was worried it was the wrong spot, but it beeped and then said look into the mirror. So I pulled the card out assuming it read it or something. Before I'm 99% sure that the mirror had green dots to line your eyes up on, however this one only had a solid orange dot dead centre. So I had no idea how far to stand from it. I moved closer, and it changed to a solid green dot, made the picture shutter sound, said the "Thank you for your cooperation", but then after a couple seconds did the "Please step in front of the mirror" again. I did this 3 times, took my picture, then finally said "Unauthorized Member" so I had to use the normal lane as there was no one around to ask for help.

Is it because I took the Nexus card out? Is that even where it should go? I'd have assumed it would have been like a credit card reader that fits the card perfectly, but instead felt like I was putting it in the wrong place. Again was after a long flight and early morning so I was half asleep which might have been part of it, but has me nervous now to use it especially as I always leave my friends to use Nexus so was a pain to then have to wait alone.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by 416to305
Hey everyone. I've had Nexus for a couple years now no issues. I just got back from Vegas from Toronto for a week but couldn't get the machine to work. Flying from Terminal 3 at YYZ they only have Global Entry machines, which work no problem, put your passport in, scan your fingers and no issue (other than the photo it took of me had my passport in my mouth lol).

However coming home I took a redeye flight, so was basically 6:30am yesterday which felt like 3:30 to me and was running on zero sleep, so might have been part of it lol. Anyway, at customs in YYZ Terminal 3, they only have Nexus machines. I went up to it, touched the screen and it said insert your card, which I remember is something new from a recent email. However where do you put the card? The only thing I could see was basically one of those big readers where you put your passport in. I put the Nexus on there but didn't seem right, as the opening is 3x bigger than the card, and the card could just spin around.

It said insert all the way so I pushed it in more without letting go as I was worried it was the wrong spot, but it beeped and then said look into the mirror. So I pulled the card out assuming it read it or something. Before I'm 99% sure that the mirror had green dots to line your eyes up on, however this one only had a solid orange dot dead centre. So I had no idea how far to stand from it. I moved closer, and it changed to a solid green dot, made the picture shutter sound, said the "Thank you for your cooperation", but then after a couple seconds did the "Please step in front of the mirror" again. I did this 3 times, took my picture, then finally said "Unauthorized Member" so I had to use the normal lane as there was no one around to ask for help.

Is it because I took the Nexus card out? Is that even where it should go? I'd have assumed it would have been like a credit card reader that fits the card perfectly, but instead felt like I was putting it in the wrong place. Again was after a long flight and early morning so I was half asleep which might have been part of it, but has me nervous now to use it especially as I always leave my friends to use Nexus so was a pain to then have to wait alone.

Thanks!
Had the same "unauthorized used" error s few weeks ago. Was annoying but I just went to the special services/crew line and was done in less than a minute. The cbsa agent said that the machines had been doing that all day (oddly enough my partner got through without any issues on another machine). Still frustrating though.

You put your card in the right spot, it's just an comedically oversized slot. I wonder if they did that in anticipation of using passports instead of the card?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:51 am

The card is read via RFID. Put it in the spot and follow the prompt on the screen and you will be on your way.

Also, if you do have any issues, they will automatically whip you to the front of the line or direct you to a spot with no line.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by iMedic
Had the same "unauthorized used" error s few weeks ago. Was annoying but I just went to the special services/crew line and was done in less than a minute. The cbsa agent said that the machines had been doing that all day (oddly enough my partner got through without any issues on another machine). Still frustrating though.

You put your card in the right spot, it's just an comedically oversized slot. I wonder if they did that in anticipation of using passports instead of the card?
There are major issues with the slot. I got called an "unauthorized user" and the agent at the desk rolled her eyes and told me to have a nice day. It appears that you have to do it just right, or it will shunt you off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.