Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Problems with GE passport readers at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)

In the past few months, I've had problems getting the Global Entry kiosks to read my passport reliably. One reader will not "see" my passport, but the next one will, etc. I assumed that it was my passport, which was showing its age.

But yesterday, carrying a new, recently renewed passport, I had the same problem with three machines in a row, until I noticed that I could enter my passport number manually if needed.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced problems like these - maybe there is some kind of maintenance issue with these machines.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StingWest
In the past few months, I've had problems getting the Global Entry kiosks to read my passport reliably. One reader will not "see" my passport, but the next one will, etc. I assumed that it was my passport, which was showing its age.

But yesterday, carrying a new, recently renewed passport, I had the same problem with three machines in a row, until I noticed that I could enter my passport number manually if needed.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced problems like these - maybe there is some kind of maintenance issue with these machines.
My wife has had to enter hers by hand a couple of times. I have not, despite the fact that mine does not always work in the readers that agents use.

And one trip last year into IAD none of the kiosks were working. Had to fill out the form while standing on line to see an agent. Fortunately, CBP knew about the problem and had set up an agent to which they were funneling only GE folks, so it did not take too long.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Happened at JFK last week. 2 our of like 10 machines wouldn't read passports. The sensor glass was dirty with fingerprints. They definitely need more regular cleanings to keep the operation going.

I haven't noticed a manual entry section. Is there a trick to this or are some kiosks operating on different software versions?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes; it happens to me all the time. It usually takes a couple of tries to get the kiosks to read my passport. Sometimes I have to try multiple kiosks.

Once, at DFW last winter, I tried several kiosks and none would read my passport. Finally, a contract agent came running up and said "oh, don't use those; those are the bad machines; use that one over there that works!"

And sure enough, the kiosk to which she directed me read my passport on the first try.

I didn't know about the possibility of manual entry...good to know for the future!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In another thread I noted having fingerprint problems; if the machines are having trouble with pp's, I shouldn't be too surprised with my fp issue.
[So far I've not had pp problems, except one machine which did respond to my pp.]
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nrr
In another thread I noted having fingerprint problems; if the machines are having trouble with pp's, I shouldn't be too surprised with my fp issue.
[So far I've not had pp problems, except one machine which did respond to my pp.]
Just got back to IAD yesterday and my wife's passport would not scan, again. After trying for a while the kiosk popped up a window saying it could search for the document using either her name or the document number. She choose to enter her name and everything worked just fine from there.

Neither of use has ever had a problem with our fingerprints. I do recall the agent who did our interviews saying that it was a good idea to bend your hand down slightly at the knuckles to improve fingerprint contract with the scanner.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have had the same thing happen to me in many locations.

In YUL many of the machines fail to read my passport.

On a trip in September coming back, many people had the same issue.

CBP needs to clean those readers more often

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.