Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre✓™ and KTNs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:27 pm
Company Representative, TSA
Original Poster

TSA Pre✓™ and KTNs

Many travelers are consistently asking why they haven't received TSA Pre✓™ if they have a Known Traveler Number (KTN). The answer is...they should. I recently posted on the TSA Blog about this issue. I recommend you read this to understand where we have seen confusion occurring. (We just identified a third-party booking system that was submitting the KTN in the Redress field for their customers.)

A traveler who has a KTN in their PNR should receive TSA Pre✓™ consistently. I know many of you on FlyerTalk, who travel all the time and have a KTN, always receive it. Travelers opted-in via an airline-specific invitation won't receive TSA Pre✓™ as often as a traveler who has been issued a KTN.

We will always say, "TSA continues to incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening." For example, since we vet passengers for each flight, we can scale back TSA Pre✓™ if needed. If we are concerned about a certain flight, we have the ability to scale back TSA Pre✓™ for that one flight.

The issue that I see -- and I have helped many passengers troubleshoot via twitter -- is that the KTN was wrong, KTN was not in the PNR, DOB was off by a day (or year) and/or the name didn't match.

The airline can quickly update this information, and resubmit it to TSA. For example, if you checked in online, and didn't receive TSA Pre✓™, you can reach out to your airline to update your "Secure Flight" info. If they update it, and everything matches, you should receive TSA Pre✓™.

AA/UA/DL and some of the other TSA Pre✓™ participating carriers allow you to pull the PNR, and verify your name matches how you applied for your KTN and that your KTN is in the record.

I know you all have many questions, but hope this clears up some of the misconceptions about TSA Pre✓™. Yes, it is "random," but it won't be so random if you have a KTN.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question How does PreCheck work with a Common Access Card (CAC) Number?

This is on behalf of goalie-sis.

She is retired Coast Guard and now a civilian employee for the Navy Dept with top secret clearance for her current position and has yet to receive PreCcheck with her Common Access Card (CAC) number* stored in her airline profile (both Delta & United) when traveling using her government (vs personal) passport (and I have checked and double checked that there is not a name [full first, middle and last names are correct] or b.o.b mismatch with any of the data)

*which as best she and I can tell, according to the information provied on the TSA's website, a CAC can be used by both active duty and civilian military
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
This is on behalf of goalie-sis.

She is retired Coast Guard and now a civilian employee for the Navy Dept with top secret clearance for her current position and has yet to receive PreCcheck with her Common Access Card (CAC) number* stored in her airline profile (both Delta & United) when traveling using her government (vs personal) passport (and I have checked and double checked that there is not a name [full first, middle and last names are correct] or b.o.b mismatch with any of the data)

*which as best she and I can tell, according to the information provied on the TSA's website, a CAC can be used by both active duty and civilian military
Did she opt-in via MilConnect? Civilians have to follow this opt-in process first. Additional details: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/military-members

This is the info. is via DoD:

"It’s important to note, officials said, that once their eligibility takes effect April 15, DOD and Coast Guard civilian employees first must “opt in” to the TSA Pre-check program by visiting the “milConnect” website at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect. After selecting the “My Profile” menu tab after logging into the website, users will be guided through the opt-in process. Civilian employees need to opt in only once, officials said. Military members already are eligible and do not need to opt in, they added."

Did she opt-in?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thanks so much for the follow-up ^ and I'm not sure. I did ask her if she had to do anything similar to what I did as non-military when I opted in with United and she said she had "taken care of the airline side" but I will send her a copy & paste of what you wrote, have her double check and get back to you
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the follow-up ^ and I'm not sure. I did ask her if she had to do anything similar to what I did as non-military when I opted in with United and she said she had "taken care of the airline side" but I will send her a copy & paste of what you wrote, have her double check and get back to you
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard are already eligible and do not need to opt-in. The opt-in process is only for the civilian side of DoD.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard are already eligible and do not need to opt-in. The opt-in process is only for the civilian side of DoD.

If the problem still exists after their next flight, and they did opt-in, please PM me. I can then send something over to DoD to have them verify the record. Our data pulls from the milConnect/DMDC system.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Opting in via the airline side won't do as much unless opting in/registering via milconnect.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:45 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Many travelers are consistently asking why they haven't received TSA Pre✓™ if they have a Known Traveler Number (KTN). The answer is...they should. I recently posted on the TSA Blog about this issue. I recommend you read this to understand where we have seen confusion occurring. (We just identified a third-party booking system that was submitting the KTN in the Redress field for their customers.)

A traveler who has a KTN in their PNR should receive TSA Pre✓™ consistently. I know many of you on FlyerTalk, who travel all the time and have a KTN, always receive it. Travelers opted-in via an airline-specific invitation won't receive TSA Pre✓™ as often as a traveler who has been issued a KTN.
I received GE in May 2012. I have had a KTN since the same date, and the KTN is in my frequent flyer profile and is thus always in my PNR. As soon as I received these, I applied for TSA Pre✓™ via the link provided by my airline.

Two years on, I currently receive TSA Pre✓™ about 2 times out of 5. There seems no rhyme or reason to it.

For the first year, I never received it at all. Then it started to happen domestically about 1 time in 10, but I was sure that if I took a domestic flight in connection with an international itinerary I would never have TSA Pre✓™, and I was right. I assumed that this was because I hold a non-US passport and a Permanent Resident Card. However, in the last few months that has changed and I have occasionally had luck with domestic legs of international itineraries.

What has not changed is the complete unpredictability of regular domestic itineraries. 2 times out of 5 is the average, but I never know until I get to an airport whether it will be one of the lucky 2 or one of the unlucky 3.

It seems to me that holding a KTN is no guarantee of getting TSA Pre✓™, and conversations with other frequent flyers confirm this. If TSAPressSec can come up with another reason for the random operation of the scheme, I'd be very interested to know how I can improve my chances.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 1P
I received GE in May 2012. I have had a KTN since the same date, and the KTN is in my frequent flyer profile and is thus always in my PNR. As soon as I received these, I applied for TSA Pre✓™ via the link provided by my airline.

Two years on, I currently receive TSA Pre✓™ about 2 times out of 5. There seems no rhyme or reason to it.

For the first year, I never received it at all. Then it started to happen domestically about 1 time in 10, but I was sure that if I took a domestic flight in connection with an international itinerary I would never have TSA Pre✓™, and I was right. I assumed that this was because I hold a non-US passport and a Permanent Resident Card. However, in the last few months that has changed and I have occasionally had luck with domestic legs of international itineraries.

What has not changed is the complete unpredictability of regular domestic itineraries. 2 times out of 5 is the average, but I never know until I get to an airport whether it will be one of the lucky 2 or one of the unlucky 3.

It seems to me that holding a KTN is no guarantee of getting TSA Pre✓™, and conversations with other frequent flyers confirm this. If TSAPressSec can come up with another reason for the random operation of the scheme, I'd be very interested to know how I can improve my chances.
Permanent resident with a known traveler number were excluded from pre-check until very recently which is why you had so many fails
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:45 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CDKing
Permanent resident with a known traveler number were excluded from pre-check until very recently which is why you had so many fails
If LPRs with KTNs were excluded until this week (according to the other thread), I should have had 100% fails instead of 60% fails. Still think something else has been going on.

Anyway, I now look forward to 100% success, and will report back when it doesn't happen.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: QFF
How does someone get a KTN without a US passport and not US resident?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 1P
If LPRs with KTNs were excluded until this week (according to the other thread), I should have had 100% fails instead of 60% fails. Still think something else has been going on.

Anyway, I now look forward to 100% success, and will report back when it doesn't happen.
People who were LPR who did not include their KTN in their reservations were getting it through airline elite opt-in. Did you fit that scenario?

I hope you are lucky as some of the latest posters in the last few posts of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...bal-entry.html
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
precheck but no KTN

I've been flying UA as a 1K and get pre check on almost every flight, but I don't have a KTN, how can I get this information without re-applying? I'd like to ensure pre-check on other airlines as well..
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Re-applying for what?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Precheck obtained through status only applies on that airline. To get Pre on other airlines, you need a KTN, which can be obtained via a Trusted Traveler program (either GE, NEXUS or TSA Pre). As you're a 1K, you should be able to get Global Entry comped by United.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app.../default.aspx?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.