Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Can I Use the Global Entry Kiosks before the Card Arrives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

Short answer:
YES as GE kiosk is activated by passport not GE card.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold

I just went thru the interview and got final approval on global entry. I'm leaving for a 3 week trip overseas on Friday, and may not get the global entry card in time. I know you can't use it at the kiosks, but does anyone know if I'm going to have any issues using Global Entry without activating the global entry card? The acceptance letter was conflicting. On one line it says you can't use global entry until you activate the card, and the next paragraph says you can use the kiosk immediately.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Global Entry usage before Card arrives

I don't think you need the card activated since since earlier participants never got the card to begin with.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You do not now and never will need the card. Simply activate the card online (it can take one business day after your interview approval, but most often takes minutes), and you are good to go.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Platinum
If you are going to New Zealand, it might be helpful. They have a GE only lane (never got asked for our GE card though). GE is active as soon as you get your confirmation email.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/upda...-17122012.aspx
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
The only time you need the card is if you want to use the NEXUS lanes into the US from Canada and the SENTRI lanes into the US from Mexico (and only if you're in authorized vehicle). You can use the card as ID as the TSA checkpoints, but it is not necessary to use the GE kiosks.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Use of GE at an airport only requires your fingerprints and is active as soon as you are approved. In fact, your approval letter tells you such but is so poorly worded to be confusing (emphasis added):
We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card.

If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks.
I think the "cards are not valid at kiosks" should be changed to "cards are not necessary to use kiosks."
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Use of GE at an airport only requires your fingerprints and is active as soon as you are approved. In fact, your approval letter tells you such but is so poorly worded to be confusing (emphasis added):

I think the "cards are not valid at kiosks" should be changed to "cards are not necessary to use kiosks."
That excerpt from the letter is *exactly* why I'm asking in this thread. The phrase " You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card." is what is throwing me off.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
You use your passport at the kiosk... not the global entry card.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
You use your passport at the kiosk... not the global entry card.
I understand that... but the wording of the letter seems(to me) that you can't use your passport at the kiosk until after you receive and activate your global entry card(which you can't use at the kiosk anyway).
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by IslesFan
I understand that... but the wording of the letter seems(to me) that you can't use your passport at the kiosk until after you receive and activate your global entry card(which you can't use at the kiosk anyway).
We got a GE interview, and subsequent approval (15 minutes by email) for my kids on the day of our outbound SFO-LHR flight, and used the kiosk on our return flight. The card showed up 2 weeks later.

Don't worry, card activation doesn't not trigger GE. The approval email does.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Actually I've had occasions where people want to see the card (usually when my Secure ID isn't on the ticket, so I don't get Pre-Check; the check-in agent has to add to my ticket); it's just much easier to hand over the card than to argue that it's not required (since it does show it online in the approval letter).

Anyways even though I didn't get one from the get go, I applied and get one in the mail very quickly.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankmu
We got a GE interview, and subsequent approval (15 minutes by email) for my kids on the day of our outbound SFO-LHR flight, and used the kiosk on our return flight. The card showed up 2 weeks later.

Don't worry, card activation doesn't not trigger GE. The approval email does.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:22 pm

Do you need to wait for the physical card to arrive to use Global Entry?

My boyfriend and I are travelling to the philippines on Nov 17. I just ordered him a plat card and we want to get him global entry. he can probably walk in and get an interview but i'm worried about how long it takes to get the physical card. Do you need the physical card to go through global entry?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:49 pm

No, but good luck getting everything processed by the 17th. If he has a clean background and can manage to get an interview by the time you leave he might be able to use it when you return. It seems like most people with clean backgrounds get approved anywhere from within minutes of completing their interview (like I was) to a couple days later. Of course there are some people who have had to wait weeks for their approval.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:07 am

So once you complete the interview you don't have to wait for the physical card? Just the passport? I figure he can pay for it as soon as he gets the amex card, and then try and walk in to get an interview since we live right next to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.