Global Entry - First Time

Old Dec 30, 13, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, True Blue, Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Early Returns, Sky Miles
Global Entry - First Time

I just got Global Entry and an planning to fly up to Toronto, I've heard that the first time you use the kiosk to re enter the country you automatically get an X because it's your first time. Any truth to this?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 13, 10:28 am

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
First time I used GE, I did not get an X.
Old Dec 30, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tapeguy View Post
Same here, although I'm Canadian with both Nexus & GE, so not sure if that makes a difference.

(I use GE to enter the USA, not Nexus, unless GE kiosk is offline.)
Old Dec 30, 13, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
There apparently are multiple reasons for getting an 'X'. The one that does not seem to be publicized is that if you've been arrested in the past, you will get the 'X' the first time. While there are many accounts of people having trouble getting GE because of past arrests (even when later dismissed etc), this 'X' is showing up, obviously, after you have been approved.

It is quite odd, since the application only asks about convictions. At the interview they ask you if you've been arrested. If you have been they do not approve you on the spot there is some additional review, which can take a week or two. Then once you are approved you get an 'X' the first time through GE, where you'll have to go through additional screening (which you would never go through in the regular line). After that you have to call your GE office to ask them to suppress 'X'. Which may or may not happen.
Old Dec 30, 13, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by tapeguy View Post
Same.

I have never received an X, with 10+ uses.
Old Dec 31, 13, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
It is quite odd, since the application only asks about convictions. At the interview they ask you if you've been arrested. If you have been they do not approve you on the spot there is some additional review, which can take a week or two. Then once you are approved you get an 'X' the first time through GE, where you'll have to go through additional screening (which you would never go through in the regular line). After that you have to call your GE office to ask them to suppress 'X'. Which may or may not happen.
I was never asked about arrests. We spent more time engaging in idle chit chat than anything else.
Old Jan 1, 14, 2:16 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tpallini View Post
I just got Global Entry and an planning to fly up to Toronto, I've heard that the first time you use the kiosk to re enter the country you automatically get an X because it's your first time. Any truth to this?

Thanks
Have a read of this
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:06 am

This happened to me today the first time I used the system...

Back in July I was wrongfully arrested and the charges were immediately dismissed. The judge even took the unusual step of issuing an order that found me factually innocent and ordered all records of the arrest (including fingerprints, mugshot, police reports, court records) sealed and ultimately "obliterated."

Flash forward to my GE application in December, I obviously brought it up and provided the proper documentation without being asked to do so. Was approved on the spot.

However, because California (and their communication with the Feds) is so slow, the destruction of the arrest records takes upwards of a year. So today when I went through GE for the first time, I got the big X. The CBP agent told me this always happens if you have a prior arrest, even if you disclose it in your GE application. It has to do with the fingerprints matching a database. They have to take some information from you and "override" the system, which will prevent this from happening once this data is processed. Seems silly and they should do this when you first apply, rather than after you go through the first time.

Last edited by USCTrojan83; Feb 18, 14 at 2:15 am
Old Feb 18, 14, 1:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Never got an X. Never arrested, either.
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
I have been using GE/NEXUS for the last 3 years and I have never got an X despite my heavy international travel.
Old Jan 15, 15, 1:38 pm

Is this really true: X on first use with old arrest record.
Old Jan 16, 15, 9:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I did not get an X the first time I used GE.

I've only gotten 2 Xs.

The first was when I declared over my duty free allowance. That was before they started doing the O's, I think.

The second was just recently. The kiosk at YYZ T3 showed BUR as my flight's destination, not DFW. I hit the wrong button when correcting it and it sent me to passport control.
Old Jan 17, 15, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I got an X on first use and first use after renewal as well 5 years later.
Old Jan 17, 15, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, KE Morning Calm
I did not get an X on my first time or subsequently (3 times). Interesting that there are so many who do get an X on the first go!
Old Jan 19, 15, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by SPYDER67 View Post
Is this really true: X on first use with old arrest record.
It wasn't with me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: