FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1535028-global-entry-kiosks-declarations-food-questions.html)

Repooc17 Aug 21, 2018 7:39 pm

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...info-guide.pdf

5. You must declare any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or meat products, dairy products, animals or animals/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, or soil. If you have visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States, please let the CBP officer know.

No broad category of FOOD.

TWA884 Aug 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30113111)

5. You must declare any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or meat products, dairy products, animals or animals/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, or soil. If you have visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States, please let the CBP officer know.

That pamphlet was published in 2013.

The GE kiosks, at least the ones that I've used at LAX, JFK and MIA in the past two years or so, do list the catchall "food" category in addition to all the other specific items.

davie355 Aug 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 30112320)
In that case, "anything you can put into your mouth" doesn't clarify anything.

You're just saying food is food.

+1, not to mention there's a cultural element as to whether certain things are edible or not.

chollie Aug 22, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30113111)

Even with this narrow and out-dated definition, there's room for confusion.

I don't think most folks read the above list and realize that ramen seasoning packets, gum, breath mints, tea, chocolate candy and cookies have all been challenged and have to be declared. (Some ramen packets have 'meat' product, tea in any form is 'plant matter' as well as 'food', and a lot of chocolate candy contains milk (dairy product) Some candy and cookies have raisins (fruit) in them.

rickg523 Aug 22, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer (Post 30112732)

​​​​I guess we are at "I don't know what food is but I know it when I see it"

Exactly! It's CBP - there will never be actual rules. It's always at their whim.
:)

rkb2530 Aug 22, 2018 11:57 am

This is what was listed at ORD last week when we came through. I read it twice to make sure it didn't list food as we had some chocolate. Didn't see food so I checked no.

drewguy Aug 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30113599)
+1, not to mention there's a cultural element as to whether certain things are edible or not.

True, although I'd welcome an example of something eaten in other cultures that wouldn't be properly declared for some reason (e.g., insects, certain plants not commonly eaten, animals). If some culture is eating toothpaste or office paper, do tell!

Anyway, I'd be a lot more comfortable arguing "you're telling me my failure to declare toothpaste violates the food declaration rule?" than arguing "you're telling me that my failure to declare the protein bar I bought in the US and came back with violates the rule?".

squeakr Aug 22, 2018 5:46 pm

As others have stated

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 30114676)
Even with this narrow and out-dated definition, there's room for confusion.

I don't think most folks read the above list and realize that ramen seasoning packets, gum, breath mints, tea, chocolate candy and cookies have all been challenged and have to be declared. (Some ramen packets have 'meat' product, tea in any form is 'plant matter' as well as 'food', and a lot of chocolate candy contains milk (dairy product) Some candy and cookies have raisins (fruit) in them.

The kiosks now specifically use the word “food” - At least the kiosk at Halifax Canada pre-clearance.

davie355 Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 30116111)
This is what was listed at ORD last week when we came through. I read it twice to make sure it didn't list food as we had some chocolate. Didn't see food so I checked no.

There is one potential issue with this approach. What happens if the CBP Officer at the exit point asks, "Do you have any food." You say yes, Officer says how come it's not declared, you say it's chocolate and the screen didn't mention it -- if the Officer really has it out for you, you may be lost, as there is plenty of written verbiage indicating "all food" requires declaration.

I maintain my position that dry/packaged goods aren't in the spirit of "food." This is only my personal position (although obviously also the position of many frontline officers).

seawolf Sep 1, 2018 12:53 pm

Thr word food have been on GE kiosks for 2-3 years if not more. Seems like the posts on this thread is just repeating points made earlier.

Often1 Sep 1, 2018 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 30156293)
Thr word food have been on GE kiosks for 2-3 years if not more. Seems like the posts on this thread is just repeating points made earlier.

It's called beating a dead horse. If you have one of those you should answer the kiosk question with a "yes".

Given that the maximum penalty is $60,000 per violation (not that it is routinely imposed) along with GE revocation, the number of people who think it's fun to play too cute is interesting.

blue_can Sep 1, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm new to GE and have yet to use the GE kiosks.

However I've used the APC kiosks several times (primarily at YVR) and to the best of my recollection the list does not contain the generic term "food" but very specific categories of food such as meats, fruit etc.

So I'm finding it interesting that the GE kiosks are like the blue forms in that regard.

Majuki Sep 1, 2018 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by blue_can (Post 30156479)
So I'm finding it interesting that the GE kiosks are like the blue forms in that regard.

The problem is that the kiosks combine the many questions on the blue form into 4 questions on the GE kiosk, including the catch all agricultural question with food in the wording. Having never used the APC or mobile passport app, I don't know how many questions there are for those processes.

arttravel Sep 1, 2018 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30127122)
There is one potential issue with this approach. What happens if the CBP Officer at the exit point asks, "Do you have any food." You say yes, Officer says how come it's not declared, you say it's chocolate and the screen didn't mention it -- if the Officer really has it out for you, you may be lost, as there is plenty of written verbiage indicating "all food" requires declaration.

I maintain my position that dry/packaged goods aren't in the spirit of "food." This is only my personal position (although obviously also the position of many frontline officers).

If dry packaged goods are required to follow the legal requirements for food packaging in the US it is a good sign that the product would be considered food by CBP.

I am not sure what the “spirit of food” means. Dry packaged goods can certainly have insect infestations and could be problematic.

polarbears Sep 2, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 30156293)

In SFO they still say “food”.

I declared something just last week. I barely got to say “candy and snacks” before the agent said “welcome home” and waved us along (the new system without the agent after baggage claim).