FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1535028-global-entry-kiosks-declarations-food-questions.html)

mattfusf Jan 2, 2012 7:20 pm

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

If I return to the US with souvenirs (less than the $800) allowance, do I automatically get the "X" on my receipt and have to speak to a CBP agent, or is the kiosk allow you to enter items that you may have purchased?

Thanks

Matt

chollie Jan 2, 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mattfusf (Post 17734591)
If I return to the US with souvenirs (less than the $800) allowance, do I automatically get the "X" on my receipt and have to speak to a CBP agent, or is the kiosk allow you to enter items that you may have purchased?

Thanks

Matt

The kiosk questions are much simpler and less detailed the the paper form you fill out. You don't itemize items. IIRC, there were four questions on one screen. Don't recall the exact questions, but they are yes-no answers (ie, one of them might have been 'are you bringing back goods worth more than $800). I think one of the questions might be about food, so if you answer that 'yes', you'll get an 'X'.

mattfusf Jan 2, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks, didn't want to get hung up over a few t-shirts, postcards, and the like.

Matt

chollie Jan 2, 2012 8:07 pm

I always used to worry about that - forgetting to declare some random bit of something or other and getting in trouble if I ever got secondaried and 'audited'. I'm never remotely close to the limit, so it's great to not worry about it any more.

squeakr Jan 2, 2012 8:44 pm

the only caution I would advise

based on reports here and my own experience - if you have ANY kind of food, even a bar of chocolate, some CBP's consider that "food" or "dairy" and you should declare YES at the kiosk.

chollie Jan 2, 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 17734970)
based on reports here and my own experience - if you have ANY kind of food, even a bar of chocolate, some CBP's consider that "food" or "dairy" and you should declare YES at the kiosk.

However, be prepared for a CBP officer to ask 'Is this it? Why are you wasting my time - this is just candy'. (This was at LAX).

Still, better to be safe than sorry, given the possible consequences if you encounter a CBP officer having a bad day.

drewguy Jan 3, 2012 10:25 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17734632)
they are yes-no answers (ie, one of them might have been 'are you bringing back goods worth more than $800).

That is basically how it is phrased.

squeakr Jan 3, 2012 11:01 am

same exp at LAX for me as well

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17734981)
However, be prepared for a CBP officer to ask 'Is this it? Why are you wasting my time - this is just candy'. (This was at LAX).

Still, better to be safe than sorry, given the possible consequences if you encounter a CBP officer having a bad day.

but at SFO they were appreciative that I declared having candy.

kchaudha Jan 3, 2012 1:57 pm

I literally just got back from my global entry interview at BOS. We actually talked about food and I specifically asked what about chocolates etc (I travel frequently to Switzerland :)
He was very clear that chocolates are not necessary to declare and pointed out that on the kiosk, it doesn't use the vague term "food" as on the form and it is quite specific, making it more clear that candy/chocolates are ok.

chollie Jan 3, 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kchaudha (Post 17739845)
I literally just got back from my global entry interview at BOS. We actually talked about food and I specifically asked what about chocolates etc (I travel frequently to Switzerland :)
He was very clear that chocolates are not necessary to declare and pointed out that on the kiosk, it doesn't use the vague term "food" as on the form and it is quite specific, making it more clear that candy/chocolates are ok.

I'm going to have to remember to pay attention to that next time. I absolutely do not remember anything on either the paper form or the kiosk that clarifies what is meant by food. I am pretty sure the relevant screen only has four yes-no questions.

(edited to add): OK, this was bugging me. Looks like our own FT'ers have already sorted this issue out. See post #807 and post #809. It appears that an FT'er's inquiries may have even been responsible for the clarification. Go FT!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...hwhile-54.html

FlyerChrisK Jan 4, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17734632)
The kiosk questions are much simpler and less detailed the the paper form you fill out. You don't itemize items. IIRC, there were four questions on one screen. Don't recall the exact questions, but they are yes-no answers (ie, one of them might have been 'are you bringing back goods worth more than $800).

Four sounds correct from my experience at YVR last week.

Prior to GE/NEXUS, I had a US CBP at YUL give the "why are you wasting my time" response, but I agree, better safe than sorry.

pdquick Feb 15, 2012 12:19 am

To which, the answer is this statement

Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

which appears on the CPB page here.

drewguy Feb 15, 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by pdquick (Post 18018021)
To which, the answer is this statement

Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

which appears on the CPB page here.

Indeed--at my interview the CBP guy told me a tale of a woman who was GE and brought in KinderEggs, which for those who don't know are German chocolate eggs that have a small toy inside. Turns out they are illegal to import because the CPSC or someone has determined that the toys present a choking hazard to children and as part of a food product therefore shouldn't be allowed.

N1120A Feb 15, 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 17734970)

The kiosk notes the specific categories they want declared (some of which may well be admissible, and just need to be inspected). It notes "fluid milk" instead of plain "dairy" and doesn't have a generic "food".

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 18019314)
Indeed--at my interview the CBP guy told me a tale of a woman who was GE and brought in KinderEggs, which for those who don't know are German chocolate eggs that have a small toy inside. Turns out they are illegal to import because the CPSC or someone has determined that the toys present a choking hazard to children and as part of a food product therefore shouldn't be allowed.

Its not just CPSC. There is also a very old food safety law that is on the books that also is used. Its ridiculous, but they are very serious about Kinder Eggs. Don't bring them.

chollie Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 18020559)
The kiosk notes the specific categories they want declared (some of which may well be admissible, and just need to be inspected). It notes "fluid milk" instead of plain "dairy" and doesn't have a generic "food".

This makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. Usually to get GE, you have an interview, at which time presumably CBP can explain in a bit more detail that "no, 'food' doesn't mean milk chocolates and chewing gum." CBP probably also operates on the assumption that many/most GE members are relatively experienced travellers who are, by definition, supposedly less likely to bend or break the rules.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the kiosk question was originally quite that specific about food. If it has changed, it is probably because of folks like me who took no chances, only to get told, rather snippily, "'This? This isn't food. Why are you wasting my time?" I've been honest, I declared things with GE that I never would have declared prior to GE, 'out of an abundance of caution.'

mre5765 Feb 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 18020736)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the kiosk question was originally quite that specific about food. If it has changed, it is probably because of folks like me who took no chances, only to get told, rather snippily, "'This? This isn't food. Why are you wasting my time?" I've been honest, I declared things with GE that I never would have declared prior to GE, 'out of an abundance of caution.'

The kiosk question has been more permissive of food than the paper declaration ever since I got GE (about 3 years now).

chollie Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 18022881)
The kiosk question has been more permissive of food than the paper declaration ever since I got GE (about 3 years now).

That might explain the impatience of CBP officers at LAX on two occasions there when I declared chocolates I was bringing back. However, neither the CBP officers at LAX or any other airport where I declared chocolates (allowed) at GE ever pointed out that according to the kiosk, they were allowed (and I obviously didn't read the kiosk closely enough).

MSPeconomist Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 18020559)

Its not just CPSC. There is also a very old food safety law that is on the books that also is used. Its ridiculous, but they are very serious about Kinder Eggs. Don't bring them.

Another example is alcohol filled chocolates, like the brandy filled ones common in Germany.

GoAmtrak Feb 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18028379)
Another example is alcohol filled chocolates, like the brandy filled ones common in Germany.

Those aren't prohibited in the States, just regulated like alcohol. I'm looking at a box of chocolate liqueur cherries from Trader Joe's as we speak. :p

Would the correct course of action be to declare those as alcohol?

chollie Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 18028485)
Those aren't prohibited in the States, just regulated like alcohol. I'm looking at a box of chocolate liqueur cherries from Trader Joe's as we speak. :p

I can't remember - do you have to declare all alcohol, or just over a certain amount?

GoAmtrak Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 18028547)
I can't remember - do you have to declare all alcohol, or just over a certain amount?

Well, MSPeconomist has me concerned that any amount would need to be declared due to it being a specially-regulated food product, one that also happens to be alcoholic.

drewguy Feb 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 18028485)

Liquor-filled chocolates are on the prohibited items list:

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukcustom.html#prohibit

The fact that you can buy something in the US doesn't mean you can personally import it. For example, plenty of plants and food can be brought in by certified importers but not individuals.

ESpen36 Feb 18, 2012 8:16 pm

As noted, the GlobalEntry kiosk declaration system DOES NOT ASK ABOUT "FOOD" GENERALLY, unlike the paper customs declaration which uses the term "food."

Instead, the kiosk asks about specific types of food that must be declared, such as fruits, vegetables, etc. This was a fairly recent change (within the last couple of years) and acknowledges that most GlobalEntry members are VERY aware of what must be declared and what does not need to be declared. Chocolates, candies, cookies, most hard/pasteurized cheeses, and most dry goods would not be of interest to the CBP officers, and so GlobalEntry members in good standing are exempt from declaring them.

It is important to keep in mind that if the kiosks are nonfunctional and you need to fill out a paper declaration, the paper form DOES ask about "food" generally, so you MUST check "YES" if you are carrying ANYTHING that can be consumed as food, even if you know that it is permitted and would not need to be declared on the kiosks if they were working.

If you do not declare properly you risk huge fines, loss of Trusted Traveler status, confiscation of items, and potential flags on your record that could result in continual referral to secondary searches for years afterwards.

jcf27 Feb 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 18042176)

If you do not declare properly you risk huge fines, loss of Trusted Traveler status, confiscation of items, and potential flags on your record that could result in continual referral to secondary searches for years afterwards.

Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation ?

--J

14940674 Feb 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27 (Post 18042370)
Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation?

Those with the authority to revoke your status or flag your name (CBP and its officers) have warned members that they will face such consequences for violating the rules of the program. I doubt that CBP was speculating.

ESpen36 Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27 (Post 18042370)
Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation ?

--J

The US Customs and Border Protection officer who completed my interview made me aware of the consequences in no uncertain terms, using similar words to what I included in my post. It is not speculation. I tend to think that CBP officers are pretty good at their jobs, and are pretty familiar with the rules--it is their job to be, after all.

jcf27 Feb 20, 2012 8:31 am

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 18046306)
Those with the authority to revoke your status or flag your name (CBP and its officers) have warned members that they will face such consequences for violating the rules of the program. I doubt that CBP was speculating.

Yes, CBP has that authority. It's their game. However, not playing by their rules will affect the pax whether is on the program or not.

--J

747FC Jun 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Does anyone have a listing/link for the GE Kiosk questions?

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I have searched without success.

alphaod Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm

If you mean the questions on the physical kiosk, it's the same questions they ask you on the paper Declaration Form 6059B:
1) Do you have plants, seeds, insects, etc.;
2) Have you been near a farm or livestock;
3) Do you have more than $10,000 USD in cash/bonds;
4) Do you have merchandise intended for resale.

There are no other questions.

Firebug4 Jun 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 21001463)
If you mean the questions on the physical kiosk, it's the same questions they ask you on the paper Declaration Form 6059B:

I am trying to get my hands on the questions. However, it my understanding that the questions on the kiosk are not exactly the same as the paper declaration.

FB

747FC Jun 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4 (Post 21001965)
I am trying to get my hands on the questions. However, it my understanding that the questions on the kiosk are not exactly the same as the paper declaration.
FB

That would be most appreciated, as I too understood that the questions are worded very differently, and the devil is in the details. Many thanks!

chollie Jun 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 21001463)

What about food? (edited to add: never mind, it's part of 1))

Mad_Max_Esq Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am

question 1 mentions fruits/vegetables, but not food.

chollie Jun 28, 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq (Post 21004954)
question 1 mentions fruits/vegetables, but not food.

I've seen quotes from an email to CBP asking for clarification on 'food' that included mention of meats, products containing meat, dairy, ...snails, I can't remember the rest. (It's in the 'GE -worth it?' thread).

One explanatory email said you still have to declare candy and cookies and chocolate, IIRC, partly because there might be local restrictions in force.

Finkface Jun 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21005866)
I've seen quotes from an email to CBP asking for clarification on 'food' that included mention of meats, products containing meat, dairy, ...snails, I can't remember the rest. (It's in the 'GE -worth it?' thread).

One explanatory email said you still have to declare candy and cookies and chocolate, IIRC, partly because there might be local restrictions in force.

I remembered reading this on milepoint: I recently had a discussion with a customs officer regarding the way the question was asked on the blue customs declaration card and at the kiosk. His reply was "if you can put it in your mouth it is food" and should be answered yes at the GE kiosks ". and yet, other officers have said otherwise. It would be nice to get a correct answer.

This is from the globalentry.gov/faq website. It makes it pretty clear; you must declare ALL agricultural products. It gives a link to the USDA (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/) that doesn't work for me:

Q: Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?
A: Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.

FlyingHoustonian Jul 1, 2013 9:01 am

Before I did the kiosk I asked an officer about this at IAH's GE point yesterday. I went up and specifically asked for clarification about sweets, candies and chocolates. He kindly noted to check no on the "food" question at the kiosk and to consider that I had verbally declared the sweets to him.
He even noted this way I'd avoid the automatic X. All I had were sweets but I've been given different guidance at different airports. YMMV.

747FC Jul 1, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 21020985)
Before I did the kiosk I asked an officer about this at IAH's GE point yesterday. I went up and specifically asked for clarification about sweets, candies and chocolates. He kindly noted to check no on the "food" question at the kiosk and to consider that I had verbally declared the sweets to him.
He even noted this way I'd avoid the automatic X. All I had were sweets but I've been given different guidance at different airports. YMMV.

Do you recall the wording of the questions you answered?

chollie Jul 1, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 21009088)
I remembered reading this on milepoint: I recently had a discussion with a customs officer regarding the way the question was asked on the blue customs declaration card and at the kiosk. His reply was "if you can put it in your mouth it is food" and should be answered yes at the GE kiosks ". and yet, other officers have said otherwise. It would be nice to get a correct answer.

This is from the globalentry.gov/faq website. It makes it pretty clear; you must declare ALL agricultural products. It gives a link to the USDA (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/) that doesn't work for me:

Q: Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?
A: Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.

You've demonstrated the confusion. I don't think most people (including some CBP agents) consider chocolate, cookies or chewing gum to be 'agricultural products'. However, other agents use the 'anything that goes in your mouth' standard.

Absent specific clarification (update all references on the website), I will continue to err on the side of caution. YMMV.

Finkface Jul 1, 2013 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21022464)
You've demonstrated the confusion. I don't think most people (including some CBP agents) consider chocolate, cookies or chewing gum to be 'agricultural products'. However, other agents use the 'anything that goes in your mouth' standard.

Absent specific clarification (update all references on the website), I will continue to err on the side of caution. YMMV.

That is exactly how I felt. To me, 'agricultural product' wouldn't include the chocolate bar in my bag but it would be just my luck to get the CBP agent who diagreed. I have been told myself by a CBP agent that if you can eat it, declare it. So I am more confused than ever...:confused:

squeakr Jul 1, 2013 3:56 pm

we always say yes for food

get the X and show them our candy/cookies etc. Let them say "it's OK" and it doesn't take much time.