Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Lots of newbies being sent through TSA Pre Check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

It appears at least several of the airlines, including AA and VX, have been sending a whole lot of people through TSA Pre Check that have never been through it before, and most of which don't seem to be expecting to be it in that line.

Does anyone know what's going on? I asked the TSA agents at SFO T2 and they said it's been going on for about 2 weeks.

It's very frustrating as a FF to be stuck behind these people. I'm beginning to think that the regular priority line might be better.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:21 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

I was sent through the line at ORD on my way to ATL via CLT and I don't have any status. I didn't mind though!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Airlines sending lots of newbies through TSA Pre Check

What airline did you fly?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:35 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by dsemaya
What airline did you fly?
That flight was US
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum

I think these airlines or at least Virgin America are trying to showcase this feature maybe to get people to pay for it when it's offered soon. Either that or they're using it to expedite lines but doesn't that defeat the purpose of it??

I had the same thing happen to me at LAX where they finally added PreCheck for VX. I had to tell the lady in front of me that she didn't need to take off her shoes. Interestingly enough, I was denied entry to the PreCheck line at ORD where both AA and VX supposedly "share" this feature.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:47 pm

Just take it easy, everyone has their first times. I am a frequent flyer, even took me couple times to get used to the surprisingly simple process.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
I had this at MIA on AA in July this year. Went through regular and was told to go into the pre-check line. Whilst in the que I read the sign and watched people ahead of me to get the idea. The girl in-front of me wasn't so observant so started unpacking and taking her shoes / belt off. Before she got too far I told her that I think she can just go through...

Live and learn, I guess.

But then next time, when she goes through regular, will she try to walk through with shoes and belt on and hold that que up?

It has the potential to confuse people.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:57 am

Article in UA flight mag explains what is going on. Random people are selected for expedited pre-check, but not all the time.
The test is in rollout.
If this works, everybody will get through faster.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

It's not the airlines. It's the TSA. They are the ones who approve who gets selected and who doesn't. The only thing the airlines do is provide the info. through The secure flight info that has to be sent anyway. And when it started, of course, inviting their more frequent flyers.

I'm sure the airlines were made aware of the plans. But they have nothing to do with who gets it and who doesn't.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1k; Marriott Gold

May be we now need a separate "Elite Pre-check" line!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:46 am

Had it happen at LIH two weeks ago. My daughter and I were selected to go through precheck but my wife was not so we all had to go through the main line as we were all on the same itinerary. Was not bad, I figured it was random. I have status, my wife and daughter do not.

Seemed random but yet almost half the people at security were going through precheck.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:04 am

You should see Austin airport where every line turns into TSA pre-check on occasion (they are testing wider use). They must have 8 agents standing at the front, a bomb dog running up and down the aisle, and some electronic mat that everyone has to stand on for 2 seconds before proceeding through.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:10 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is clearly a travel security topic, please follow the thread as it moves to the appropriate security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
You should see Austin airport where every line turns into TSA pre-check on occasion (they are testing wider use). They must have 8 agents standing at the front, a bomb dog running up and down the aisle, and some electronic mat that everyone has to stand on for 2 seconds before proceeding through.
What are these about? Didn't notice it last time I was in AUS, and never heard of them before. Some new TSA scam to strip our rights from us?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bchandler02
What are these about? Didn't notice it last time I was in AUS, and never heard of them before. Some new TSA scam to strip our rights from us?
Might be another form of 'randomizer'. IIRC, some Canadian airports have used them for years.

TSA preferred to let individual TSOs eyeball hot chicks to be 'randomly' selected for the NoS. In EWR, TSOs 'randomly' chose darker-skinned guys, particularly ones who 'looked' Hispanic (might be illegal) or wore 'gangsta -style' clothing (might be carrying dope).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.