Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Interestingly HKG has adopted a similar process and eligibility is dtermined by meeting a mnimum number of trips in the last 12 months and FF status. It seems that this is now becoming an added perk of Gold.

Strange about the police clearance certificate when one does not need that to actually visit the US.

Hong Kong has had the frequent visitors card for about 10 years now and it was extended to electronic entry maybe 4-5 years ago. Invitations from FF clubs but also hotels (I got BA, Mandarin sign ups around the same time) or qualify if you fly through the airport 5 times a month, I think. The electronic gates are great.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Never mind all this - probably come in long after we are gone from here.

Why can't we have the same arrangements as Ireland and clear US customs and immigration before we leave leave the country? Why is Ireland singled out for special treatment? Then everybody would be happy at least travelling to the USA. Of course it would be impossible to do the same in the USA as they have no "International" zone in the US airports which is why there is this stupid arrangement with Duty Free. One day I will leave and everybody will remember to collect all the stuff from the jetway.

It would move conformance up to at least 1 hour except realistically it would be much longer as the availability of CBP personnel to be stationed overseas would mean that few flights could preclear. Also once through CBP checks, passengers are into a fairly sparse holding area - no lounge access.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: BA, EI, UA
Pre-clearance was trialled in Heathrow in the 1990s. However the complexity of the airport lay-out made it next to impossible to operate. With services to the US spread over four terminals and the requirement to segregate pre-cleared passengers from other travelers as well as a complicated process for baggage identification it would never work. Terminal 2 in Dublin was designed with US customs and immigration pre-clearance in mind. Prior thereto only immigration pre-clearance was possible. Global entry is the way forward except that the customs line can now be as long as the immigration line!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by lyncthom
Pre-clearance ........Global entry is the way forward except that the customs line can now be as long as the immigration line!
Assuming this is the same as MIA as other airports (for specific GE customs exits) - there is one hidden GE customs exit immediately after coming down the 'US' stairwell where GE holders are sent (to the left out the immigration hall, down the US stairs, immediate left again). If you need to get bags, double back to the GE door assuming some dragon does not scream at you to HALT AND DEEEE-SIST - I assume other airports will have the same specific GE customs exit. I believe there is a GE/crew door to the left of the main customs exit door at MIA as well for those with bags, but that one door right at the bottom of the staircase is quality - closest to the connections security hall and far away from the carousels that tend to be used. One wee guy looking bored out his skull....I got from D50, through GE, through customs, through connections security and sitting at Shulas within 12 or so minutes. 3 beers later at Shulas and i started to see people off my flight wandering by.

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 13, 2013 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by joejet
So cool I just got 4 codes, for myself wife and kids, does anyone know if the kids need police clearence, I was also told by a friend that http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/ can do the check does anyone know? It's cheaper as well.

Now just the wait till I get it all sorted, might even risk Miami again!!
Yes - for GE, all your family members need a separate application (meaning everyone, even babies, need the acro cert and promotional code). You EACH need to schedule an interview as well, but i reckon if you cant get them together, you can turn up for the nearest time slot and they will process you all at one time, especially with babies/young kids (i have heard that babies fingerprints often do not work on the machines - and imagine trying to get a baby to get their picture taken at the machine, even kids are too small for where the camera is on the GE machines...so be prepared to get an X on a kids form and still have to go to the diplomatic counter at immigration...which isn't bad as you still skip the entire queue....). EDIT - i should note i think i read elsewhere on here that someone got GE taken away for trying to get their kids through the GE line when they were not signed up (you used to be able to take your kids through...guy didn't realise the rules had changed)...so don't risk not signing them up!

Not sure about the scottish police certs, i just used acro to be sure. And yes, MIA is a breeze with GE. No quick way through security again as i dont think you get TSAPre with GE for non americans (get plat with AA and you will get it!), but the connections security at MIA goes quickly with priority access (and no scan machines in that hall!) - and if the connetions hall looks mad, just go out into the main terminal and back through the priorty access line. Quite a hike, but they are much quieter now with the connections hall being open.

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 13, 2013 at 10:25 am
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Marcusm
It would move conformance up to at least 1 hour except realistically it would be much longer as the availability of CBP personnel to be stationed overseas would mean that few flights could preclear. Also once through CBP checks, passengers are into a fairly sparse holding area - no lounge access.
You'd need a new USA terminal, perhaps convert T3 after T2 opens, and have every alliance move their US flights there if they want to sell pre-clearance.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcm9000
...so be prepared to get an X on a kids form and still have to go to the diplomatic counter at immigration...which isn't bad as you still skip the entire queue, but blue customs form will be needed...carry spares....).
The customs declaration does not need to be completed if your receive an X. It is only necessary if the kiosks are down.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
The customs declaration does not need to be completed if your receive an X. It is only necessary if the kiosks are down.
Ta! edited...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by dubbin
You have to call BAEC and there is an (as yet undisclosed) threshold based on the amount of travel to and within the US.

In addition it seems it is only available to gold card holders at the moment.
Would I just call the gold line and see? Is there a department I should ask for? Would the average person at the callcentre be aware of it?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by layz
Would I just call the gold line and see? Is there a department I should ask for? Would the average person at the callcentre be aware of it?
That's how it worked for me. He had to ask his team leader, then speak to the head of the team that's issuing the codes, but it was all sorted within 15 minutes or so.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Yes - for GE, all your family members need a separate application (meaning everyone, even babies, need the acro cert and promotional code). You EACH need to schedule an interview as well, but i reckon if you cant get them together, you can turn up for the nearest time slot and they will process you all at one time, especially with babies/young kids (i have heard that babies fingerprints often do not work on the machines - and imagine trying to get a baby to get their picture taken at the machine, even kids are too small for where the camera is on the GE machines...so be prepared to get an X on a kids form and still have to go to the diplomatic counter at immigration...which isn't bad as you still skip the entire queue....). EDIT - i should note i think i read elsewhere on here that someone got GE taken away for trying to get their kids through the GE line when they were not signed up (you used to be able to take your kids through...guy didn't realise the rules had changed)...so don't risk not signing them up!

Not sure about the scottish police certs, i just used acro to be sure. And yes, MIA is a breeze with GE. No quick way through security again as i dont think you get TSAPre with GE for non americans (get plat with AA and you will get it!), but the connections security at MIA goes quickly with priority access (and no scan machines in that hall!) - and if the connetions hall looks mad, just go out into the main terminal and back through the priorty access line. Quite a hike, but they are much quieter now with the connections hall being open.
Hi jcm9000, thanks for the tips, we are actually moving back to cayman should be there in October so maybe a GCM FT do! I notice TPA ow has GE so hope to do the interviews there. Thanks again must meet up for a beer once we arrive.
Joejet
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by joejet
Hi jcm9000, thanks for the tips, we are actually moving back to cayman should be there in October so maybe a GCM FT do! I notice TPA ow has GE so hope to do the interviews there. Thanks again must meet up for a beer once we arrive.
Joejet
Joejet, a GCM FT do would be smashing (there are a few of us on here), or just a beer to chat all things aviation or otherwise (my mates tell me to shut up when i start going on about frequent flyer stuff.....). Keep in touch! Even though my flying future looks depressingly bleak (anyone need a bod to carry their luggage??), i'll be hanging around here.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:19 pm
t0m

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
You could just do as nbevan suggested up-thread and ask the DHS nicely. I did earlier today and got my promo code sent back within a few hours with an email explaining the process for UK citizens. FYI, promo codes are unique and they have a limited shelf-life.
I did the same and got exactly the same response. Code is in!

One question - is it up to my when I schedule my interview? Obviously it would only make sense to do this on a US trip and just checking they aren't just going to invite me to interview in Atlanta next week at 10:30am..
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by t0m
I did the same and got exactly the same response. Code is in!

One question - is it up to my when I schedule my interview? Obviously it would only make sense to do this on a US trip and just checking they aren't just going to invite me to interview in Atlanta next week at 10:30am..
Yes, you have to schedule your interview once you get 'pre-approval' for the program (it was taking up to 4 weeks to get pre-approved once you submit your GOES application, seems that is coming down fast now the american busy vacation time is coming to an end). When you get your initial approval, go back into your GOES account and select your preferred GE processing centre. Take whatever interview you can get - as long as it is not one in the near future you have no chance of making! - as you must sign up for an interview within 30 days of pre-approval i think (actual interview available space may be many months down the line - i think some have no availability until November) and keep going back into GOES after that and hope for one that may open up earlier - i initially had one 3 months away, one opened up 2 weeks after my approval so changed to that in GOES and i hopped up to MIA for it for a wee day trip.

Also - you can do walk ins at MOST GE centres - not all by some reports. Might not get lucky the first time, but keep trying and you will get seen eventually from a walk in - even try back a couple of hours later if they are too busy for a walk-in. Just don't forget to book an interview initially (even if its nowhere near where you will be going - CBP will remove your original interview slot and it will come free for someone else - hence why you should check back frequently for open slots that may be better suited).

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.