Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
So no one has written to CLEAR and received a response as to why this is going on?
I see people complain to Clear on Twitter all the time. Response is usually sorry doing our best to work with TSA but they are in charge.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Had to show BP at MSP today to TSA. Honestly may not renew Clear next year because it's just not convenient anymore. This seems to be happening more than randomly now.

Agree w above poster that the top benefit was not having to take out my wallet.

i miss being brought to front of the line instead of by the TSA.

Renewal isn't up for several months so won't have to decide now.
mglvrug likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zorak
While that is the likely ultimate reason that it happens, I doubt the TSA really cares if CLEAR customers are unhappy with CLEAR. I also suspect that CLEAR as an organization has more influence on changing TSA policies/procedure than a bunch of individuals writing in to TSA, or to effect whatever procedural changes would keep the TSA happy so as to reduce or eliminate the check. So to my way of thinking, writing to CLEAR saying "this no longer provides as much value and I won't be renewing" would be more effective (but it's a relative measure :-/)
Agree completely and will do.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:45 am

While at MSP previously, had been told 1 in 5 to show ID/BP.

Visit prior to yesterday no issue.

Yesterday, was told every other person needs to show ID/BP, and I was one of those selected.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by smithrh
While at MSP previously, had been told 1 in 5 to show ID/BP.

Visit prior to yesterday no issue.

Yesterday, was told every other person needs to show ID/BP, and I was one of those selected.
Were you using a mobile or paper boarding pass?
Old May 3, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA is not "afraid" of CLEAR. It could easily not have authorized CLEAR in the first place and been done with it.

With that said, CLEAR really never was anything more than a paid line-cutting service with a bit of technology thrown in to make the people feel better.

With TSA shifting to the ID-only system and ditching the BP, CLEAR becomes even less worthwhile.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:04 pm

A Hope,,,

One possibility (yes, speculation) is that TSA is doing this to check and see if CLEAR is doing an adequate job of making sure that the ticketed passenger is the one that they are taking through. And, if they find out through their ID checks that CLEAR is doing what is should, they may stop the checks.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
... to check and see if CLEAR is doing an adequate job of making sure that the ticketed passenger is the one that they are taking through
I'd buy that theory if it hadn't been my experience that while I continue to wait in my cut-in-line place in PreCheck while the CLEAR agent brings my phone to the TDC- who fully ~80% of the time never even looks at me (nor has any ID to compare me to).

Nah, this is just territorial posturing.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:05 pm

Almost worked as advertised today at MSP - no ID this time, but had to scan the BP...
Old May 13, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA is not "afraid" of CLEAR. It could easily not have authorized CLEAR in the first place and been done with it.

With that said, CLEAR really never was anything more than a paid line-cutting service with a bit of technology thrown in to make the people feel better.

With TSA shifting to the ID-only system and ditching the BP, CLEAR becomes even less worthwhile.
When you need it, CLEAR can cut some fairly long lines!
Old May 15, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
They were having a one month trial with CLEAR this morning, so I enrolled. Everyone in the CLEAR line had hand their boarding pass to have the CLEAR rep show the TDC. In my case, the CLEAR rep showed my phone with the mobile boarding pass to the TDC.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm almost done with a 2 month trial. My experience can be summed up as:

Clear at airports is essentially just a line cutting service. Still need ID/BP most times.
Clear at stadiums confuses me. There is no need for ID anyway, so the fancy machines don't really serve any purpose whatsoever...

I won't be renewing.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:04 pm

I had CLEAR about 18 months ago on a free trial (which I had deactivated after free trial was over).

Today, I signed up with the same email/same phone number etc for a new 4-month free trial account (tripit code) - and surprisingly it went through. The only hitch was that my online account was still showing de-activated because my email/phone was associated with the older deactivated account, so i had to call in to a very friendly rep to get that fixed up.

So this begs the question - given that CLEAR keeps coming out with 3-4month promo codes, can I theoretically churn these codes forever? Or was my experience just a fluke in the system and other's experiences have been different.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I had CLEAR about 18 months ago on a free trial (which I had deactivated after free trial was over).

Today, I signed up with the same email/same phone number etc for a new 4-month free trial account (tripit code) - and surprisingly it went through. The only hitch was that my online account was still showing de-activated because my email/phone was associated with the older deactivated account, so i had to call in to a very friendly rep to get that fixed up.

So this begs the question - given that CLEAR keeps coming out with 3-4month promo codes, can I theoretically churn these codes forever? Or was my experience just a fluke in the system and other's experiences have been different.
That's interesting. So to be clear, they applied the trial to your old account so you did not need to register again? I would have thought that the system would catch multiple trials one it recognizes the same biometrics in the system.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by eeflyer
That's interesting. So to be clear, they applied the trial to your old account so you did not need to register again? I would have thought that the system would catch multiple trials one it recognizes the same biometrics in the system.
No, the system created a new account against the same email/phone (which is why I wasn't able to log in last night). I called CLEAR today, and the customer service rep said "oh you have duplicate accounts now" and was able to fix the issue by deleting one of the duplicate accounts and even porting over my biometrics info so I don't have to do it again. I was pretty transparent with the rep, telling her upfront that most likely I cannot log in because I used to have an old now-deactivated account, and she was like "okay no problem let me remove it completely from the system so now you have a 4 month free trial as signed up".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.