Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Interview...time required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Interview...time required?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by igopogo
Okay, I'm convinced that it won't work based on the schedules. Anyone know if they will consider doing the interview without an appointment? I'm thinking, maybe my flight is delayed. I don't want to be a jerk and book an interview I likely won't use.
At JFK they would. I was doing my interview, while a gentleman showed up and inquired how to set the appointment. The agent asked him if he had all the papers with him, and then she told him to wait till we're finished. Of course, if they'd been busy at the time it could've been problematic, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Btw, the agents at JFK office were extremely nice and a pleasure to deal with.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I just recently got my passport for a trip to Bahrain on November 4th. I tried to sign up for the San Diego area but they were booked until Feb 2012. Ended up booking a late afternoon appointment for Nov 2nd at LAX and driving up there.

Due to leaving early to avoid traffic I got there a little over 2 hours early, one of the interviewers was just finishing up and told me to give him 10 minutes and he'd see me. No video, but a few questions, got the stamp, showed me how to use the kiosk then told me I'd be in the system in time for my return on the 11th and that was it. Also told me if I hurried I might be able to miss the heavy traffic going back down to San Diego.

Had I not been able to drive to LAX, I was planning on my next trip through Atlanta having a 2-3 hour layover and scheduling my appointment then.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:29 pm

If somebody just got approved for GE, can you check if there is a possibility to schedule an interview at EWR on November 24th, 2011 which is a Thanksgiving Holiday in US?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
At JFK they would. I was doing my interview, while a gentleman showed up and inquired how to set the appointment. The agent asked him if he had all the papers with him, and then she told him to wait till we're finished. Of course, if they'd been busy at the time it could've been problematic, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Btw, the agents at JFK office were extremely nice and a pleasure to deal with.
+1 I had the cancel my appointment in Niagara Falls last year due to a death and was unable to find any other appointments before my window was up. I had called JFK to inquire about their appointment schedule and was told no openings. They called me back in 5 minutes and said, don't worry about the appointment, just come in next time you are around and we will take care of you. Very pleasant - on the phone and in person. Also, no video, short interview, and forgot to give me my sticker. Total - <15 minutes.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:26 pm

Amex organized a special Global Entry approval event at a Beverly Hills hotel this weekend. Platinum card holders were invited to register online with the Global Entry website, and once we had our preliminary approval we could visit the hotel for our Customs interview and fingerprinting, saving us a trip to LAX.

Everything was handled very professionally by both Amex and the Customs people. They even supplied coffee and snacks while we waited.

I really appreciate that American Express did this, and I would encourage them to offer similar programs in other cities.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Umbrella
Amex organized a special Global Entry approval event at a Beverly Hills hotel this weekend. Platinum card holders were invited to register online with the Global Entry website, and once we had our preliminary approval we could visit the hotel for our Customs interview and fingerprinting, saving us a trip to LAX.

Everything was handled very professionally by both Amex and the Customs people. They even supplied coffee and snacks while we waited.

I really appreciate that American Express did this, and I would encourage them to offer similar programs in other cities.
That would have been nice, although going to LAX is a lot easier for me than Beverly Hills.

But like others have said, my interview took about 15-20 minutes. Most of the time was spent showing me the kiosk and explaining the rules. The only real questions I got were, what is my name and why do I travel so much?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, CBP will do this upon request for companies with significant number of travelers located in a city where there is a Global Entry office.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX

When I went to my interview at MIA, the Customs official asked me where I worked. When I told him, he said "oh, we were just there! You could have done your interview then." I was aware that CBP was in my building doing GE interviews, but it was only offered to VPs and above, and I am just a lowly Manager
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
SFO

Originally Posted by carwag25
I did my interview a couple of months ago at SFO. Same as others... about 20 minutes for the interview, stickering, and using the kiosk.
For those that had their interview at SFO, a few questions.

I scheduled an interview at 10:30 and have a noon flight on AA. Is the interview location inside the airport and if so which Terminal. Wanted to get an idea of how much time I'll need, since I will be traveling with the family. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by lakers6902
You guys are lucky.

I had my interview at the San Diego/Mexico border and it took a little over an hour. I didn't even get the chance to watch a video or have a demonstration of the kiosk (they told me to go online to learn how to use the kiosk.)
I live in SAN, but did my interview in LAS before a flight back to SAN. I showed up 30 minutes early, they said no problem, and took me in. Watched a 5 min video, don't remember answering any questions, signed a form, they took a surprise photo of me (look like a mini alien on my ID) and was out the door in 10 minutes. No kiosk demo. Could not have been eaiser, but finding the office took a little hunting.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by runfit
. Also, no video, short interview, and forgot to give me my sticker. Total - <15 minutes.
What sticker? I got no such sticker in LAS during my interview. Am I screwed for using GE upon entering the US?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I live in SAN, but did my interview in LAS before a flight back to SAN. I showed up 30 minutes early, they said no problem, and took me in. Watched a 5 min video, don't remember answering any questions, signed a form, they took a surprise photo of me (look like a mini alien on my ID) and was out the door in 10 minutes. No kiosk demo. Could not have been eaiser, but finding the office took a little hunting.
I think I walked past it twice without realizing it.

Originally Posted by yngdiego
What sticker? I got no such sticker in LAS during my interview. Am I screwed for using GE upon entering the US?
They put a sticker in the back of my passport, but no one looked at it at JFK on my first trip after getting it.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The sticker is not used in normal operation. The purpose of the sticker is if you are at a port of entry that supports GE, but when it's temporarily unavailable, the sticker gives you front-of-the-line privileges in the regular lines if you show it to the line-minders. The sticker doesn't do anything at non-GE ports of entry, or at a GE port when it's working normally.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
The office is land side outside the secure area by 5g. The interview is quick but it was full of people with appts. You won't have time with your flight schedule They need to take fingerprints and show you how to use the machine and put a sticker on your passport I did it a couple of years ago they didn't have videos at the time.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:58 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
We flew to YVR (closest to LAS) to get GE and NEXUS.
It took about 30 minutes for Canadian and US interviews, they were in the same office, just at different windows. NEXUS gets us into Canada and will allow driving across the border in the express NEXUS lanes.
Same price and same application to get both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.