Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs NEXUS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Strange pricing then... why would NEXUS be cheaper if it gives all the benefits of Global Entry?

She does not have any credit card that reimburses GE fees.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by wharvey
Strange pricing then... why would NEXUS be cheaper if it gives all the benefits of Global Entry?

She does not have any credit card that reimburses GE fees.
IIRC, Canada set the price for NEXUS at $50. Perhaps US CBP are paid more than their Canadian counterparts and the costs are passed on to GE holders. More likely, the US background checks are outsourced to a private contractor and that's the difference in price.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:22 pm

Also GE approval has generally been much quicker than NEXUS and has more interview locations. If this isnt a problem though go for NEXUS
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Three reasons why GE may be preferential over Nexus 1. the prementioned credit card reimbursement (I have not yet seen a US CC that reimburses the Nexus fee) 2. Amount of interview locations (not a problem in the ROC area) 3. Some do not qualify for Nexus but still would for GE for various reasons.

I did GE first then at year 4 I switched to Nexus. The time for conditional approval was more lengthy and the interview a bit more time consuming (there are more benefits of Nexus to be explained) but glad I did and won't go back to GE.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:33 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Possible reasons to take GE instead of NEXUS:
  • GE can be faster to get approvals for
  • GE has more (and more widely distributed) interview locations; if you don't live near or travel to Canada, this may be a significant drawback
  • you are inadmissible to Canada (due to a DUI or similar) but not the US
  • your credit card will reimburse GE but not NEXUS
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
If I lived in Rochester, NY, it's so close to Canada that it would be silly not to get it over GE unless one has had a problem with Canada Border Services Agency before.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Global Entry vs. Nexus

Originally Posted by Kiraly
When entering the USA, there is no difference. Membership in NEXUS or GE gets you the same benefits and privileges.

When entering Canada, GE is worthless. You need NEXUS to get any related benefits or privileges.

Canadian permanent residents are not eligible for membership in the Global Entry program. You have to apply for NEXUS.
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. When I read that Nexus approval includes Global Entry benefits, that means that I will have Global Entry benefits when returning to the United States from any country, not just Canada.

(And as I type this and think out loud, when I clear Customs in US airports, Global Entry doesn't care what country you came from - so I think the answer to my question is "Yes, getting approved for Nexus will allow you to use Global Entry when you return from, say, Japan.")

Next question though - With Nexus only being $50, and if it includes GE + expedited clearance into Canada, why would anyone pay $100 for just GE? Is it because there are more interview stations around the US for GE?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Next question though - With Nexus only being $50, and if it includes GE + expedited clearance into Canada, why would anyone pay $100 for just GE? Is it because there are more interview stations around the US for GE?
Pretty much the interview stations. If you're in CA/TX/FL or any other number of states, going to get NEXUS is going to take a round trip flight, as all of the interview stations are in Canada or within about 5-10 miles of the border on the US side, except for the Seattle location. If one isn't planning on going to/near Canada in the next 6-12 months but has a lot of other country travel planned, or multiple times in the next 5 years, it's not worth flying up on a separate trip just to save $50 of course. Even for people close-ish to the border in theory, like BOS or NYC, if you're not flying or driving to Canada anytime soon, it's the same concern. Also, some of the credit cards reimburse GE or Precheck, but don't reimburse NEXUS.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. When I read that Nexus approval includes Global Entry benefits, that means that I will have Global Entry benefits when returning to the United States from any country, not just Canada.

(And as I type this and think out loud, when I clear Customs in US airports, Global Entry doesn't care what country you came from - so I think the answer to my question is "Yes, getting approved for Nexus will allow you to use Global Entry when you return from, say, Japan.")
Yes, with NEXUS you do receive full GE benefits when entering the US no matter from which country you've arrived.

The GE kiosks, BTW, do have your arrival flight information, including the departure airport. If it is missing, you are asked to fill in that information.
From the Global Enrty Information Guide (and my own personal experience):

Confirm flight information
  1. When flight information displays, if correct touch YES.
    If incorrect, touch NO and provide airline, flight number
    and city of departure.
  2. Touch NEXT button on each screen to continue.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In addition to what has been said earlier, NEXUS requires approval from both CBP and CBSA. If for some reason you had criminal record with Canadian law enforcement or was declared inadmissible or customs violations by CBSA, that may exclude you from NEXUS as far as Canada is concern.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
In addition to what has been said earlier, NEXUS requires approval from both CBP and CBSA. If for some reason you had criminal record with Canadian law enforcement or was declared inadmissible or customs violations by CBSA, that may exclude you from NEXUS as far as Canada is concern.
Also, many travel credit cards pay Pre-Check or Global Entry fees, once every 5 years. Which is strange because those programs cost $85 and $100, respectively. Despite having two of these cards, I still find it worthwhile to pay $50 for NEXUS and use the credits for my family members.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:29 pm

I'm confused, I applied for Nexus, what is the difference with Global Entry? How do I get global entry?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by canaveral
I'm confused, I applied for Nexus, what is the difference with Global Entry? How do I get global entry?
Nexus includes Global Entry.

Any single person cannot have a Nexus membership and a GE membership at the same time. And there is no need to. Nexus includes Global Entry.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by canaveral
As @mnbp wrote above, NEXUS includes Global Entry benefits.

Take a look at the DHS Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart:

NEXUS

<snip>

Program Experience

Expedited processing at airports and land borders when entering the U.S. and Canada.
Includes Global Entry benefits.

Includes the TSA Pre✓® benefits for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Nexus includes Global Entry.

Any single person cannot have a Nexus membership and a GE membership at the same time. And there is no need to. Nexus includes Global Entry.
NEXUS is $50 either in U.S. or Canadian currency. Global Entry is $100. Several high spend credit card companies pay/reimburse GE fee, but not NEXUS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.