Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by HIDDY; Nov 5, 2016 at 10:40 am
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Hiddy,

That was truely superb. I just loved the photos of NZ and you and Mrs Hiddy.

I cannot wait to hear about the BA installment which I gather from the BA forum was disappointing.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Thanks for a great report.

It reminded me so much of my trip to New Zealand, i took a picture of my partner standing next to that bird too !!

Glad Emirates were impressive, i'm taking my first flights with them at the end of November in First, looks like im in for a good time.

Excellent quality photo's by the way, must learn how to embed them myself.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report HIDDY.

I see it was a 6 star service on EK.

Ah the South Island of NZ is a beauteous thing indeed. I really must see more as I have only done the area around Queenstown and only on a 'rest' day in the middle of a ski holiday.

Re departure tax - I didn't have to pay it at the airport the last time I left AKL as it was included in the ticket price.

Perhaps another well known poster here could explain. Is it a CHC thing or an EK thing that is the differential here?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report HIDDY ^^^

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As there is no security checks there is no airside/landside…..what a pleasant surprise that was. Not having to worry about liquids or sharp instruments in your cabin baggage made for a refreshing change.
No security for prop flights on NZ domestic, but there is for jet. Hence the Qantas a/c parked at the other end of the terminal (where there is a WTMD). You can take as many liquids as you like though, and no nonsense about belt or shoes off.

Did you beat the Qantas a/c to Queenstown? (It used to fly ROT-CHC-ZQN about the same time as the Air NZ flight on the same route.)

The ATR72 which would take us to Christchurch first then on to Queenstown arrived on stand and not long after we were boarding and finding our seats in row 2 C/D. The plane was almost full with just one or two seats unoccupied. Soon after take off, the FAs got in to action. Luckily for us they started serving from the front and after being given a small carton of water they came back round serving tea/coffee and a small biscuit.
The scenery along the way was very nice with snow covered mountains one of which was like a mini Mt Fuji – anyone have an idea of what it is called?

Preferred seats are at the back on ATR. Normally service is done simultaneously from both ends.

The "mini Mt Fuji" is Mount Taranaki (aka Mount Egmont) which stood in for Mount Fuji in the movie "The Last Samurai" (and other films).

The scenery was getting grander the further south we got although more cloud was about. We started our descent into Queenstown. It’s a pretty thrilling experience flying in between the mountains especially as we were going in and out of cloud at the same time. We touched down safely and on time.
Yes the flight into Queenstown is spectacular - I never tire of it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Moomba
Re departure tax - I didn't have to pay it at the airport the last time I left AKL as it was included in the ticket price.

Perhaps another well known poster here could explain. Is it a CHC thing or an EK thing that is the differential here?
Departure tax in NZ.

International
Exempt for children and if spend less than 24 hours in NZ, but see caveat below.

AKL charges both an arrivals and departures tax, and both are collected at ticketing. Thus on separate tickets with <24 hours in between you will still be dinged the tax.

All other international airports in NZ charge NZ$25 at the airport, payable at foreign exchange bureau.

Domestic
A handful of airports have a domestic departure tax, payable at the airport. Amount NZ$3-5 varies by airport.
Hamilton, Rotorua, Palmerston North.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:55 am

Programs: BA
Another top notch report!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Hiddy, you and Mrs Hiddy slumming it in J, whatever next
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Another great report HIDDY. ^

Those pics of New Zealand are superb, it really makes me want to visit!

Emirates seem like a top-notch airline, I've read a lot of good things about them. They do seem to have a very inconsistent hard product, but their soft product (as with most Asian/Middle Eastern carriers) is certainly five star.

Looking forward to your BA First TRs.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice job on the report Hiddy!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrSydney
Hiddy,
That was truely superb..
Cheers MrSydney - wee report on Sydney as well in the next one.

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Glad Emirates were impressive, i'm taking my first flights with them at the end of November in First, looks like im in for a good time.
Let us know how it goes - enjoy. ^

Originally Posted by Moomba
Nice report HIDDY.

I see it was a 6 star service on EK.
Thanks Moomba - "Superb" flight indeed. It was a great end to a perfect stay in NZ. ^

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Nice report HIDDY ^^^
No security for prop flights on NZ domestic,

The "mini Mt Fuji" is Mount Taranaki (aka Mount Egmont) which stood in for Mount Fuji in the movie "The Last Samurai" (and other films).
Thanks for the info Kiwi Flyer regarding Taranaki and the Domestic security. ^ Not sure if the QF flight beat us to CHC or not to be honest. I wasn't paying attention.

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Another top notch report!
Thanks baggageinhall.

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
Hiddy, you and Mrs Hiddy slumming it in J, whatever next
Probably a lot of Y.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Another great report HIDDY. ^

Those pics of New Zealand are superb, it really makes me want to visit!

Emirates seem like a top-notch airline, I've read a lot of good things about them. They do seem to have a very inconsistent hard product, but their soft product (as with most Asian/Middle Eastern carriers) is certainly five star.

Looking forward to your BA First TRs.
Thanks Genius1.
NZ is a great place and certainly deserves more time than we gave it. EK? - I'm sure they can dish up some poor flights just as much as any of the others. Thankfully we've yet to experience it though.
Good point about the seat - they don't have a consistent product in the seat department across their fleet.

Originally Posted by sobore
Nice job on the report Hiddy!
Cheers sobore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.