Search

Trip report - LGW to Barbados (BGI) - BA 777 F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:59 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by MorganB
Thanks for the lovely trip report. I have a BA F trip coming up in two weeks so I really enjoyed getting the sneak peek to my trip. Did you like the Sennheiser headphones? Tell me more about that amp! It sounds like your pre-trip jitters are similar to mine. I find myself looking for tickets / passport / iphone / ipod etc incessantly.
Thanks for the feedback!

The Sennheiser PX 450Cs take some getting use to as they are simply huge headphones. This was an advantage over the Bose QC3 as they completely covered the ears and were very effective in neutralizing the crying infant. They are comfortable despite the size and i actually fell asleep wearing them on both flights.

The sound and the noise cancelling are both very good, though I found they sound best driven through an amp when used with an Ipod.

A good review of these headphones can be found at:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/re...iseGard-2-0/p1
There is also some discussion of these in the Travel Tech section of this board.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I'd built the amp myself I bought it on Ebay and it is one of the best investments I've made to date. It is a CMOY amp and signficantly cheaper than the commercial pocket amp offerings. It lasts about 20 hours on a single charge. It really brings out the quality in the music and works perfectly with both the Bose QC3 and the Sennheiser PXC-450. I did fret a bit about taking it with me as it looks a bit like a detonator with its toggle switch. In the end I had no problems taking it through LGW or BGI security.

I hope you have a fantastic trip. F is really is an enjoyable experience when everything comes together.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:04 am
pb3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ylwae
That's a bit unusual! Most people with standard air sickness can't tolerate much in the way of food or alcohol. You must have something special going on .
Indeed!

If I don't take medication beforehand then I can't eat anything whatsoever during the flight. Even the smell of food from the galley is enough to tip me over the edge.

With the meds I can eat provided I go slowly and carefully. Even then I get the odd scare as I did on this particular flight.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Great report and pics. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by pb3
With the meds I can eat provided I go slowly and carefully. Even then I get the odd scare as I did on this particular flight.
Well, it's great that you've found a way to adapt for the most part. Hope the return sees you writing only about pleasant things--looking forward to reading about it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:21 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
NIce report!

The BA F product is seriously past it and with luck maybe they will improve that outdated seat.

I have to say that the food just does not look like F class food, presentation-wise.

At least you took the noise from the child in stride!
Yes, I agree. The state of (some) of the BA F cabins is really quite shabby and the food is certainly not of the quality one would associate with F class. A recent pair of BA F flights confirmed this only too well
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Very good trip report. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by pb3
The Sennheiser PX 450Cs take some getting use to as they are simply huge headphones....... They are comfortable despite the size and i actually fell asleep wearing them on both flights.
Thanks for the info and the links! I have some Sennheiser noise canceling headphones now but they are much smaller and only work ok. Were yours comfortable if you are on your side with your head on a pillow?

Originally Posted by pb3
I hope I didn't give the impression that I'd built the amp myself I bought it on Ebay and it is one of the best investments I've made to date. It is a CMOY amp and signficantly cheaper than the commercial pocket amp offerings. ..................I did fret a bit about taking it with me as it looks a bit like a detonator with its toggle switch. In the end I had no problems taking it through LGW or BGI security.
I had never heard of a CMOY amp. Very interesting! I might buy one myself. I do see what you mean about it looking like a detonator

Originally Posted by pb3
I hope you have a fantastic trip. F is really is an enjoyable experience when everything comes together.
Thank you very much. It is a rare experience for me. I am already very excited.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Great TR thanks.

Cheers Larry
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
An absolutely brilliant TR. Sorry to hear that you had to suffer a baby in first class but it sounds like you coped well. More trip reports please!!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

pb3 - Very nice report. ^

Glad you had a great flight - the food does look good. When I was younger I used to suffer slightly from air sickness. Even though I was never physically sick I always had a feeling that I could be especially if the aircraft was full and I was stuck in a middle seat........probably claustrophobia more than anything else. I used to suffer the ear problems as well on descent.
As the years have gone by both problems have disappeared for the most part thankfully. I still get the odd feeling of nausea on long overnight flights even more so if the cabin is too hot. I do still moderate both my intake of food and alcohol though just to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Nice report ^ Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:05 pm

Great report. A pleasure to read.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Flew BA CW to LGW to Barbados last summer, and fully agree with what you said about the experience on the tarmac in BGI. Definitely an amazing view, those HUGE engines so close, especially with the tarmac relatively free of the usual traffic of vehicles, people, structures, etc. Just the BA and Virgin Atlantic planes, side by side, as you walk by,looking more massive from that perspective than they ever would from a jetbridge, the breeze from the nearby ocean blowing....

On the return trip, there's a lounge you'll have access to (think small-scale BA terraces type lounge) at BGI whilst awaiting your return flight.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Fantastic read. Enjoyed it very much.^ Thanks for sharing this and yes more TR's !

Regards

Pete
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:23 am
pb3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Fantastic read. Enjoyed it very much.^ Thanks for sharing this and yes more TR's !

Regards

Pete
Thamks very much to you and to all the others who have commented so far.

I've been very busy over the last few days but have been working intermittently on the trip report for my return leg.

Hope to be adding this to the thread before the end of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.