Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAir to Europe in coach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:47 am
Original Poster

USAir to Europe in coach

Ick. If you must fly on this airline, definitely bring your own food. Choice was chicken or pasta.
Chicken dish:
CANNED chicken-consistency of flaked tuna, no piece bigger than a flake of fish food- stripe of barbecue sauce down the middle
Country Potatoes- mealy tasteless potatoes that dissolved in your mouth upon insertion. I have found Lean Cuisines in my freezer a year old that had a better consistency.
'Salad'-frozen lettuce. Yes, that's right-FROZEN.

Pasta dish-
Spiral pasta with a tasteless blob of alfredo sauce in the middle.
'Salad'- same frozen lettuce.

When I pointed out that the salad was frozen, all I got from the sullen stewardess was a smirk and an, "Ahhhhhhhm sowwwwwwwy."

It was what I would imagine prison food to be. And served with a nice bit of contempt and disdain for the very people who sign their paychecks. This was a very bad way to start our vacation and we spent a lot of time dreading the trip back. Is this the norm for this airline? I mean, how little did they spend on each meal?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by Say Goodnight Gracie
It was what I would imagine prison food to be. And served with a nice bit of contempt and disdain for the very people who sign their paychecks. This was a very bad way to start our vacation and we spent a lot of time dreading the trip back. Is this the norm for this airline? I mean, how little did they spend on each meal?

How is it that you sign their paychecks??

And... where is the trip report?? All I see is a bi*@h fest about the food...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Thanks for the report. It has been a while since I've read an international Y TR. Definitely your descriptions of the food are great!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This was a very bad way to start our vacation and we spent a lot of time dreading the trip back. Is this the norm for this airline? I mean, how little did they spend on each meal?
One time poster here that we'll never hear from again. Coincidentally, they must be the payroll manager at US according to their claims.

Why do people even bother with this type of report and what do they actually expect for a meal in coach on any TATL airline. If you want a better meal in coach pay the extra $200 to fly AF, BA, or some other carrier. Otherwise, deal with it and remember you probably saved a few hundred dollars flying US Airways and buy a $6 sandwich before boarding your next flight.

When I flew US Airways RT from PHL-DUB I found it to be a nice clean 757 and though the meal wasn't huge, I though it was on the same level of food I would expect when flying UA. Also, the Envoy lounge at PHL is fantastic and rivals the first class lounges of domestic carriers. I would fly US TATL in the future if it was cheap. My only complaint about US is $7 drinks in coach which I find to be a bit steep, $5 is the most I'll pay.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
@ bschaff:

Agreed on most of your points, although I must say that I have also flown the PHL-DUB route on US in Y and found it to be rancid, from a service perspective (not that I expect much from any airline in coach, which is what I always fly anyway).

Nonetheless, especially on a relatively short TATL flight like PHL-DUB (or even ORD-LHR), I'd rather save the money and be uncomfortable for a few hours than shell out $$$ for an extra inch of legroom and slightly more moisture in my mystery meat stroganoff.

On longer journeys, however, I believe that slightly better service (even in Y) is sometimes worth paying a couple hundred extra on a ticket that's already going to cost you $900-1,200.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
A drive-by trip report.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: * A
the OP did not survive past the post due to TATL Y flight on US sorry for the loss.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I fly quite often and was referred to this website several months but did not feel the need to post until now. More as a warning to people who will be roughing it in coach. And, after reading the comments, this will be my last post. I am surprised at the anger and rudeness for simply posting our experience. And CL lurker, I DO sign anyone's paycheck when I spend my money at their business. And don't use the word b***h when addressing me. Maybe I am not familiar with your little 'trip report' rules, but that is certainly no reason for you to be so nasty and classless.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
SGG:

There is often a lot of bile and bitterness amongst the people who spend a lot of time on airplanes. Don't let it bug you. Having worked at US Airways from '97 to '03 (and left voluntarily), nothing surprises me about that company anymore.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
SGG: Keep on posting and don't get scared by us. Perhaps you can appreciate your own cooking at home now.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Jun 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
@ Say Goodnight Gracie: I'd give FT another chance. I think you ran into some bad luck here, but it tends to be an extremely helpful, friendly community. Plus, I suspect that some in this thread wrote tongue-in-cheek responses meaning no malice.

Personally, I can always appreciate an opportunity to bash US Airways!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
And, after reading the comments, this will be my last post. I am surprised at the anger and rudeness for simply posting our experience.
This is more suitable to post in US forum rather than trip report, as we can't see too much of your experience. A trip report should consist something more than descriptions of meals. Photos would be great, but not necessary, but at least about like how it begins, your flight, your hotels, destination.

We all have been flying a lot (at lease a number of us), but we only write a trip report for some memorable experience, or at least write in more details.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
SGG: at least you had PTV's with AVOD to pass the time and probably saved a lot of money by choosing US over BA or LH, right?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
wow, tough crowd

best of luck to you sgg
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: * A
Actually, I fly quite often and was referred to this website several months but did not feel the need to post until now. More as a warning to people who will be roughing it in coach. And, after reading the comments, this will be my last post. I am surprised at the anger and rudeness for simply posting our experience. And CL lurker, I DO sign anyone's paycheck when I spend my money at their business. And don't use the word b***h when addressing me. Maybe I am not familiar with your little 'trip report' rules, but that is certainly no reason for you to be so nasty and classless.
I was wrong! the OP did survive welcome to FT SGG. We are happy to have you on board at FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.