Wiki Posts
Search

BA First - US West Coast road trip with a baby

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by JSC
Great TR and glad you enjoyed it. Out of interest, what stroller do you have? Just interested at what size would be acceptable to take on board. Also did you have to request the bassinet once on board or did already know to bring it over?
We have an EasyWalker Sky three-wheeler. Made in the Netherlands (see here). It is light for it's size, but quite bulky. The wheels easily remove, which made stowing it in the wardrobe easy.

The bassinet was offered to us as soon as we reached our seats, in both directions. It was actually provided and strapped to the shelf after seat belt signs had been extinguished at altitude.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Johnlathropa
I am sure the OP's baby is a dellghtful, well-mannered, carefully and lovingly-parented child. Nor do I doubt the OP's testimony that on the particular two flights detailed the child only got bumptious once.

HOWEVER

I wonder what BA is doing accepting a potential squawler (and we have all sat through flights in Y and occasionally J where a baby has screamed, cried and done what babies do - not their fault - throughout a long period of time) into its "exclusive" F cabin.

If I have paid perhaps as much as $10,000 to fly a long-haul sector in F, one of the rights I am purchasing is, clearly, peace and quiet. If I buy in Y or Y+, clearly no one in his right mind has such an expectation though airlines generally do try and put families up front so I can try and book in the back. In any event, I should bring earplugs along. If in J, well, I have the right to some moderate expectation of tranquility - and I would expect airlines to segregate babies with their families in one cabin if in fact there are two J cabins, be they upstairs and downstairs in a 747 or otherwise arranged so that there is one "quiet" cabin.

I think it presumptuous of the OP to inflict a baby on the other pax in F, and foolish of BA or any other airline operating long-haul F to accept same. I don't give a fig about bleating about human rights or any other nonsense: the OP has a right to fly with their children, accepted - but not a right to fly in F class (and even J is arguable). My pov is that those having the resources to contemplate what the OP did should either fly Y or hire a nanny or trusted friend or family member to fly in Y with the infant - with of course the right to pass through several sets of "curtains" to visit said child and keeper in Y as desired. That is the sane approach. An airline enforcing same would win my respect.
"Inflict a baby." Wow. I think your arrogance has affected your ability to write the english language properly. Would any major airline deny a paying customer because they happen to be travelling with an infant? Any airline would not enforce such a rule, they will however, enforce a lap baby charge (read: extortion) and be happy that way.

For the OP: Nice trip report!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
I wonder what BA is doing accepting a potential squawler (and we have all sat through flights in Y and occasionally J where a baby has screamed, cried and done what babies do - not their fault - throughout a long period of time) into its "exclusive" F cabin.
Just following normal BA ticketing procedures, whilst also increasing revenue. The infant pays 10%, even though it doesn't get a seat.

If I have paid perhaps as much as $10,000 to fly a long-haul sector in F, one of the rights I am purchasing is, clearly, peace and quiet.
I guess the question is have you ever paid $10,000 to fly a long-haul sector in BA F. If you have, how often have you, and when have you come up against this problem.

What is stop you ringing up BA a day before the flight and asking if there is an infant on the flight. If there is and it's such a problem, pick another flight or day to travel either with BA or some other airline, that is what fully flex F is for. If not, be happy you've paid the full F fare safe in the knowledge it is extremely unlikely there will be an infant booking that late. If you have to be on a specific flight, book the whole F cabin out.

I think it presumptuous of the OP to inflict a baby on the other pax in F, and foolish of BA or any other airline operating long-haul F to accept same.
Do any airlines actually ban infant's in F? All the OP is doing is following the airlines rules. The airline has decided it is happy to accept the infants in F and positively encourages it through the provision of bassinets in F.

I don't give a fig about bleating about human rights or any other nonsense: the OP has a right to fly with their children, accepted - but not a right to fly in F class (and even J is arguable). My pov is that those having the resources to contemplate what the OP did should either fly Y or hire a nanny or trusted friend or family member to fly in Y with the infant - with of course the right to pass through several sets of "curtains" to visit said child and keeper in Y as desired. That is the sane approach. An airline enforcing same would win my respect.
The airline might win your respect, but how much business do they win and how much business do they lose. There has to be a very high correlation between dependent relatives of F flyers ending up being F flyers themselves in future years. If for a period of time an airline sends those flyers to another airline, they may not come back.

To the OP - a great trip report. You should be able to add the infant to your wife's seat in future. As you are BA Gold, this should ensure you always get 1A and 1K if they are available when booking.

I am doing BA F with my infant son and wife (LHR-PHX//SFO-LHR), having done LHR-CPT-LHR a few months ago.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Great report, thanks! I recently posted one about our travels with our 4-month old on CX, also in F, long-haul. Agree that having all the space in F made it exponentially easier for all parties - baby and parents! The dine on demand also made it easier for us to take turns with the little guy. The seat made into a bed made for a great play area. Would consider the trip in J, but after having done it in F, I think it's well worth the extra miles & $ for the lap child. Maybe next time we'll leave him with the grandparents and really get to enjoy the F experience!

Jealous that your baby slept for 8 hours straight...we weren't nearly that lucky, but he was great nonetheless.

We had a medium-sized umbrella stroller, but CX would not accept it as cabin baggage, even though I think it would have fit in the individual wardrobes. Other than that, CX was more than accomodating.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Good TR.

Why do you check-in so early and spend "hours" in the lounges at the airports.

As a father of young children, I'm all in favor of children travelling in F/J --- as long as they're my kids ! ;-)
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:48 am
Community Director Emerita

Can you tell me more about the cabana? What exactly is it?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by Braniff
Why do you check-in so early and spend "hours" in the lounges at the airports.
Have always done so, even as a novice teenage traveller in the '70s. You pay a lot for the ground benefits, so why not make the most of them? In particular, when travelling with the infant, time becomes compressed, so the extra hour or two is to ensure some 'weTime' for myself and my wife.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can you tell me more about the cabana? What exactly is it?
Cabanas are small private rooms available to BA F travellers in the Concorde Room at Heathrow Terminal 5. They can be booked on a first-come, first-served basis. See the BAEC forum for details. The room is like a semi-luxury hotel room without a bed.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Great TR, and I should mention I have no problem with infants in F or J. I do have a question for the OP however. Why did you find it a good time to take a vacation when you have a new-born 3 month old baby?

I'm asking slightly out of frustration but mostly cause I am ignorant on the topic and being a 20 something and not married, I just have trouble placing my self in the mind-frame of really wanting to take a (long distance) vacation with a brand new baby, an experience that the baby will not remember (thinking that it might be worth waiting a few years when 1. Your baby is no longer a baby and 2. the baby would be able to appreciate the trip itself?).

Thanks for the Clarification, and like I said, good TR! ^
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Great TR, and I should mention I have no problem with infants in F or J. I do have a question for the OP however. Why did you find it a good time to take a vacation when you have a new-born 3 month old baby?

I'm asking slightly out of frustration but mostly cause I am ignorant on the topic and being a 20 something and not married, I just have trouble placing my self in the mind-frame of really wanting to take a (long distance) vacation with a brand new baby, an experience that the baby will not remember (thinking that it might be worth waiting a few years when 1. Your baby is no longer a baby and 2. the baby would be able to appreciate the trip itself?).

Thanks for the Clarification, and like I said, good TR! ^
Not the OP, but for us, we thought we had a window of time where traveling would be easier...where the baby was a few months old and had some kind of routine established (and us having some idea of what to do), but before he was really mobile. Plus, once you get to a certain size, the bassinet is no longer an option on many airlines.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Great report^ After reading socalterp's report on CX and now this one, makes me even want to fly earlier with sl00001 junior. We are planned for CX F in August HKG-AMS-HKG So for those we don't want a baby in F ....re-book it
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
OK, first things first--sounds like it was a great trip. It must have been great to have 1A/K on BA F! How private! You don't mention much about inflight service--was it the usual, anything special?
But OOh!
The minute I read post #2, I thought, watch out for the "I have brought my kids on BILLIONS of flights, and they are PERFECT".... "How DARE you say anything bad about ANY child, because MY children are PERFECT", "children have rights too" and blah blah blah.
I do agree they have a right to fly, BUT so does a J/F pax have a right to a peaceful cabin. Heck, so does a Y pax. Screaming infants, while not pleasant, usually settle reasonably quickly, and you just put up with them.

BUT when the 5-year-old is screaming bloody murder--for a reaction from parents, or attention, or whatever--- for 4 hours straight in J class, because of bad parenting, I'm not questioning their right to fly.
I'm just wondering if I get to tell them the shut the **** up if their own parents don't? Or am I just supposed to sit quietly and take it? Don't think I should. But I do.
I do think that, if you can't control your 5-year-old on the ground, maybe a 14-hour flight with hundreds of strangers isn't the best place to showcase your poor parenting skills......
Let the flaming begin.......
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:16 pm

BA really needs to upgrade those old F seats - Club World has a wider area at the feet!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
As a non-parent I like child free zones.

Yes I dislike children on planes, at resorts, in restaurants etc.

If they are well behaved - thats ok - if they are not its very painful.

BUT what do you do.

Parents and children have as many rights as I do.

What I do is book holidays out of school holiday periods, and if I get a choice I book at the few resorts where children are not welcome.

I agree with the comments that children in F are more likely to be pleasant, as they are used to travel.

Cie la vie!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by astralclouds

PS: UA do not provide lap straps for infants!!
Just a head's up; it's not just UA...no US airlines would provide lap straps for infants (or allow their use, if you brought your own) as they are not approved by the FAA. The theory is that they restrict access to the adult's seatbelt.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Why to travel with a newborn

DLATL777: Great question. Like you, before kids I would never have imagined this would be a prudent or even enjoyable thing to do.

Several years ago, my wife and I had already planned a long dreamed-for trip to New Zealand when we found out she was expecting our first. For awhile we thought we would have to abandon the plans. But then a friend said to us that we should go. At 2 months, our son would be completely portable, have all the nourishment he needed from his mom, and would wake/sleep every 3 hrs- rendering time zones meaningless. "Look," she told us, "you can either be awakened every 3 hrs at home, or see something new."

It turned out to be one of the greatest trips of our lives. As we know, travel heightens our awareness of everything, and intensifies otherwise ordinary experiences. We were able to relax and bond with our son in a way we hadn't been able to at home - partly because we were freed from the everyday chores of home, and partly because we were in the midst of some of the most incredible scenery on earth.

Granted, we had our frustrating moments but they truly were few. And I also think we chose wisely. New Zealand is a very family friendly country. It has ramps everywhere (to accommodate wheelchairs and strollers). And it's essentially a driving vacation. When junior needed feeding or changing, we could just pull over at a scenic vista. Had we chosen to visit the Capitals of Europe on a 16-day bus tour, I'm sure our experience would have been different.

We also flew in F and found the extra space and bassinet to be most worthwhile. We did get the raised eyebrows from fellow passengers at boarding. But they were very complimentary at the end of the flight, as he had slept most of the way and barely made a peep. I say this not to boast about our superior parenting skills - because I'm sure it had little to do with us. Rather just to say that before a certain age ( maybe 6 months) and as long as they're not colicky, babies make ideal fliers.

In the end each parent makes their own best choice, but for us it was a trip of a lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.