Search

Mexicana LAX to CANCUN in Executive Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Mexicana LAX to CANCUN in Executive Class

Here's a quick report.

Look, i know no direct from lax to cun is perfect. My choice was either Alaska, United, Mexicana (for direct). Even United has to connect through the return. I chose Mexicana because their Business class (executive class), which is their highest class, was a good price (about 1 thousand). No way did i wanna connect through Mexico City on vacation.

Lax. The infamous Bradley terminal. I gotta say i have not flown out of that one a lot. Last Europe flight was business on Air New Zeland which i think was terminal 3. Bradley terminal is a total disaster but i understand it's under repair. The check in was fine. The lounge is nice enough. No real food selection and if you do not buy water or snack or magazine BEFORE security then you are out of luck 'cause that terminal requires a 10 minute walk to find a vendor.

Boarding. This is where Mexicana is a mess. They call Executive Class for boarding but then almost immediately call coach. We had to wave the woman down and show our passes. She said "you are supposed to be at the other side of the podium", huffs and let's us board. Sorry, she never told us what side to stand on. We came forward when they called. (by the way, similar problem on return)

Seats are so so. I like Virgin American way better in F. I like United Business seats way better. We had row 1 so no recline into us which is a plus. I was fine with leg room in that row even though seat guru offers a warning on that. NO IFE. i had read on FT that they hand out the little hand held players with movies stored. Nope. Just the drop down screen and a lame movie. Food was fine. As good as any domestic F. What i love... they close the curtain to coach. On the Airbus 319/320's they leave them open on other carriers and people from coach keep shuttling back and forth through F to use the lav. Not Mexicana. It's nice to have that separation. If you want seconds on a drink you do have to wave down the FA but you'll get it. I did not find (like other reports suggest) that the FA closes him or herself off behind the curtain. I find that they did remain available if you can flag them.

In Cancun they honor the sticker for Executive Class and you do get your luggage first.

RETURN - CUN to LAX

Okay... downhill from here. No dedicated check in for Executive class. The lounge is a joke. Maybe 10 people fit. Small and narrow. why bother? Almost no selection of snacks. Yes, beer and coffee and water, O.J. Food is a couple cookie packs. Flight was 30 minutes late. They call us in the lounge when they are ready to board. We immediately go to the gate. There is a long line and no dedicated Executive Class check in. I go to head of line and ask the attendant. He huffs "we called Executive Class and no one responded!". He is pissed. Hey, not my fault. I went right to the gate when called. Why the attitude? Why not cater a little to the people who payed for an Executive Class experience? He tells us to wait and after a few people go through he lets us in the line.

All in all... look if you pay a thousand bucks per person you should expect slightly better service. Really what you are paying for is a slightly wider seat and a hot meal. Other then that you are cattle like everyone else. I'm happy to be cattle... just don't wanna pay more then. I was expecting more since it was an international flight and Mexicana really touts their Executive Class as a great experience. Guess that's subjective.

Last edited by shadabing; Dec 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
I have had mixed experiences with this airline, but when service is good, it is a joy to fly them. Thanks for the report.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Good in Economy.. I flew Puerto Vallarta - MEX - Chihuahua with Aero Mexico and Mexicana in late 05. Sandwich box and two rounds of Modello, both legs

Sorry to hear about a crummy C experience.. but then again.. you should perhaps try Europe to lower your expectations
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Sorry to hear about a crummy C experience.. but then again.. you should perhaps try Europe to lower your expectations
i have done Europe in c (or f) on BA. Yeah, a letdown.

i compare Lax to Cun more to an international flight. it is U.S. to Mexico... no?

Very spoiled after flying NZ in biz Lax to Lhr. They have it down. I know i know... no one considers lax to cun as real international. Wondering if any carrier was better. Alaska? United?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: Some more than others
I've flown LAX-MEX on AS, MX, and AA (via DFW) in C/J and frankly each is about the same, which is more or less domestic first. You get a meal, free booze, a bigger seat with more legroom, and depending who/where you fly, lounge access.

If you go into it expecting the same service/seating/IFE that you get LAX-LHR or from VX, then you will be sorely disappointed. If you go into it expecting what you would get from UA/AA/DL/CO/NW on a 4 hour domestic flight, you'll be satisfied or even happy.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris
If you go into it expecting the same service/seating/IFE that you get LAX-LHR or from VX, then you will be sorely disappointed. If you go into it expecting what you would get from UA/AA/DL/CO/NW on a 4 hour domestic flight, you'll be satisfied or even happy.
i'd never go into it expecting the same as LAX to LHR. if you read my post clearly i pointed out that i knew it was going to be very different. I was just asking for comparisons to other airlines that service the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.