Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
In transit in Osaka

I knew from experience that transfers in Osaka were painless, but not as quick or as simple as they might be.

On arrival there is an escalator up and a short walk to the train. No option to walk directly to immigration or transfers. I just missed one train and waited 5 minutes for the next one. The train ride itself only takes a couple of minutes. Then downstairs through quarantine health check and take the transfer channel on the right.

There my boarding pass was inspected (and passport). They had trouble understanding that I was doing a turnaround. Eventually they accepted I was harmless and put my carry on through xray. But not before inspecting one of my gels (after some debate they said okay - this same goop I have carried with me on several hundred flights without any issues), and also breaking the zipper on my baggy

They had no replacement liquids bags but I wasn't too worried. I had enough time to try and repair it myself and if that failed I had a couple of spare baggies with me.

Then up the escalator and back onto the train, and down again to the departures level. All up this took some 40 minutes - annoying for such a small airport (with no queues anywhere). I noticed the transfer desk was unmanned. If I didn't have the return boarding pass I'd have to get it at the gate or in the lounge. With a tight turnaround (eg if inbound flight was late) it would be hit and miss as to whether I could get checked in before it closes.

Since our flight was early and I already had my boarding pass I had time to visit both the JL Sakura Lounge (default lounge for Air New Zealand thanks to the JL codeshare), right outside the gate used, as well as the ANA lounge a few metres down the terminal. The lounges were lacking in amenities - no computers or showers, little food or drink - and were rather busy.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 23, 2008 at 6:07 pm Reason: apologies for the interruption
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

OSAKA Kansai to CHRISTCHURCH (KIX-CHC) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class

Boarding was first a couple of elderly passengers and their families travelling with them, then business class and *G, then the rest. This was a much fuller flight with no spare seats. But I got my preferred pre-selected seat. Since they hadn't reissued the boarding pass there was some confusion of whether they had the right stub - the gate agent came to me onboard to see if I had another boarding pass. Nope - just the one.

A water bottle was already in the seat and a menu and amenity kit were soon handed out. I got one of the old amenity kits that pre-dated the clear plastic kits, complete with Evolu goops (instead of Pacifica)! I wonder if they had a big stash of kits at this outstation and still working on getting rid of them? The FSM came by to introduce himself and get a meal order - to make sure I wouldn't miss out on my preference even though seated at the rear of the aircraft. A nice touch. Of course I also got pre-departure drink which was topped up several times, but not before I got the glass replaced as they handed me a chipped one.

I was tired by now and glad the dinner service started soon and was quick and efficient. Then I grabbed some sleep only to be woken up for breakfast - ahh I'd forgotten to let the FAs know I wished to sleep through. Oh well, at least it is only 2 hours before arrival.

The turbulence from Cyclone Funa was rather bad. No sooner had I been given a breakfast tray and an announcement was made that it didn't look likely we'd get breakfast service with turbulence for much of the rest of the way Certainly my drink ended up mostly on the tray, the worst bumps I've had inflight for a long time, but not so bad as to cause injury. Some 20 minutes later and several thousands of metres lower the turbulence subsides to a moderate chop and service resumes. If this had been a United flight I'm sure we would have gone hungry.

Naturally this meant a real rush to get through the rest of breakfast in time before landing.

We had nice views of Mount Taranaki (which the pilot pointed out especially for its similarity in shape to Mount Fuji), the Cook Strait region and along the length of the Southern Alps. Descending over them to Christchurch with more bumps we landed on time.

Before we even reached the gate, despite announcements to remain seated, most of the Japanese passengers were up and pulling their carry-ons down. They were chided and reminded that through passengers (for the aircraft continues to Auckland) should stay seated to let out first any passengers leaving in Christchurch. This they did - very easy to get out quickly once we actually stopped at the gate.

The crew were a bit puzzled as to why I was leaving here to take a domestic flight (one class so much less comfortable), until I explained I would be arriving at Auckland having already cleared immigration by the time the continuation flight arrives - thus saving 30 odd minutes (maybe more). And immigration queues at Christchurch are never bad (in my experience) whereas we'd be arriving at a busy time in Auckland. Nods of understanding followed.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND (CHC-AKL) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in economy class

I sped away to immigration. I was first there and very quickly through, only a slight pause at x-ray when they checked I didn't have any bag other than my tiny carry on - yup. Exiting landside I couldn't even see the second pax - I'm not sure why I was so far ahead of everyone else.

With a short connection of 1 hour scheduled (and already used up a good part of it), I decided to check in at the transfer desk right outside international arrivals instead of using the quick check machine in the domestic part of the terminal. I got my boarding pass and headed for domestic security and into the lounge.

Once there I found my carefully selected flight which was to have been an A320 (and I'd picked a business class seat) had changed to a 737 - within the past 24 hours Later on boarding it got even worse - the flight was jammed full so not even a seat block for comfort.

I had just enough time for a quick drink before boarding. Other than being so full, it was the usual domestic flight. I tried snoozing. A snack and drinks cart offered buy on board. Free tea coffee and water followed. Music videos was playing on the bulkhead screens, but since we have no earphones we couldn't listen to it

The view out the window was nice. The flight was a bit bumpy. We arrived on time, and I noted the 777-200ER had not arrived by the time I left the airport on my way into the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.