In a rut

Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
In a rut

Tour of Duty 8th to 28th March 2007

Time to go to work again and I was told there was a truck in Dodge Center, MN that needed to be moved to Burlington, ON. I booked an air ticket on Delta, was taken to LGB and had to wait for an agent to show up at the counter as I had bags to check. While I waited I did check in on the kiosk and was able to get boarding passes. There was one other person waiting when I arrived and a couple more showed up after I arrived. Finally an agent appeared and I checked my bags. I was selected for secondary screening. I was not wanded but my boot bag was more thoroughly searched then my briefcase.

Delta Connection/Skywest #3764 LGB-SLC CRJ-200 Seat 8A Exit Row Cruising altitude 32,000' Estimated flying time not given, actual 1:24 Scheduled departure 12h30, actual 12h52 Scheduled arrival 15h20, actual 15h33

The plane appeared to arrive a bit late. Boarding was via stairs. Configuration was 50Y and only 2 or 3 seats were empty. Pushback was 22 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 9 minutes and takeoff to the NW. I saw Interstate 405 and the Grace Brethren Church on 36th and Linden (where I attended years ago) immediately after takeoff followed by downtown Long Beach, the Port of Long Beach then out over the Pacific Ocean and a panoramic view of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, the Port of Los Angeles and LAX to the distance. Landfall was over Alamitos Bay/Seal Beach area. I saw El Dorado Regional Park and Interstate 605, downtown Los Angeles to the distance followed by the Puente Hills and San Gabriel Valley. Then we went over the San Gabriel Mountains.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:14. There was a drink run and I got a cup of Ginger Ale. A snack basket was offered and I chose the biscoff cookies. After flying over desert I saw part of the Las Vegas metro area but not the Strip. Seatbelt sign went back on at 1:07 just before descent commenced. Captain announced 54F with some clouds at SLC. Puffy clouds increased as we progressed and descent started at 1:09. There were some bumps during descent and landing gear went down at 1:22. Landing was south to north followed by taxi of 6 minutes and we arrived at gate 13 minutes late. We deplaned via stairs and I had a layover of just under 3 hours.

Delta #1136 SLC-MSP MD-90 Seat 21A Cruising altitude 37,000' Estimated flying time 2:00, actual 2:05 Scheduled departure 18h20, actual 18h22 Scheduled arrival 21h51, actual 21h48 Ticket cost: $174.30

This was my first time on MD-90. Configuration was 12F/138Y with F laid out as 2-2 and Y laid out as 2-3. My seat was on the "2" side and no one sat next to me. In fact the load was light with something like 44 pax so announcement was made that pax were free to switch seats. The main difference between MD-80 and MD-90 is that the MD-90 is equipped with IFE and has video screens that flip down.

Pushback was 13 minutes late followed by takeoff to the north. I saw the Great Salt Lake and an orange sky from sunset immediately after takeoff. Then we turned more east and I saw the metro area north of SLC and the Wasatch Mountains. Later I saw what I thought was Evanston, WY in the gathering darkness. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:12. Video was shown for entertainment but I did not pay much attention.

There was a snack and drink run. The snack choices were Sun Chips, Peanuts, Biscoff Cookies, Cheese/Crackers and Granola Bars. I chose the Biscoff Cookies. For the drink I chose Fresca and got the whole can. Water was offered later and I got a small bottle of water. Seatbelt sign went back on and descent started at 1:37. Gear went down at 2:03 and I noticed snow on the ground during final. We landed from the west and taxi took 6 minutes. We arrived at gate 3 minutes early. My bags were waiting for me when I arrived at baggage claim at 22h02. I got van to motel and spent the night in the Twin Cities area before taking the van back to MSP next day to catch the Rochester Direct down to Dodge Center.

Trip: Dodge Center, MN to Burlington, ON 864 paid miles Routes: US14 to
US52 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 290 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 196 to Michigan 6 to Interstate 96 to Interstate 69 to Bluewater Bridge to Ontario 402 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 403 Maximum elevation: at least 1,006 feet

I got truck on a Friday afternoon and got as far as Mauston, WI where I got my money's worth at an all you can eat fish fry buffet at the Hearty Platter restaraunt. Sunday was the change from Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time so I lost an hour of sleep. I attended evening service at Faith Bible Baptist Church in Lapeer, MI. I had dinner afterward at the Big Boy Restaraunt in Imlay City and the service was excellent.

I crossed the Bluewater Bridge into Sarnia, ON and the agent at the booth asked if there was anything in the back of the truck. I was not sure but ended up saying that I did not detect any evidence of tampering during my safety inspections so I was allowed in. I saw the broker then proceeded to Burlington where I dropped the truck off and spent the night.

Trip: London, ON to Dodge Center, MN 775 paid miles Routes: Ontario 401 to Ontario 402 to Bluewater Bridge to Interstate 94 to Interstate 69 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 290 to Interstate 90 to US52 to US14 Maximum elevation: at least 1,006 feet

There was a wait for paperwork to come through then I was taken by van to the shipper in London, ON along with another driver. When we got to London we were directed to the location of the trucks. It turned out my truck was parked in a hole of sorts and due to icy surface there was not enough traction for me to get the truck out so a cable was hooked up and the truck was pulled out. Then temporary flaps were put on but they were not well secured. Finally I found out the headlights were not working on low beam so I was sent to the dealership which caused more delay while the problem was fixed.

After the headlights were fixed I got started and crossed the Bluewater Bridge into Port Huron, MI. There was no problem crossing the border and I spent night in Marysville, MI. There was some drizzle and light rain in some areas of Michigan. The truck I drove was a "kidney beater" in that the ride was very rough if there was even a slight bump and there were some very rough areas in Michigan.

I made the mistake of trying to fuel at the Travel Centers of America in Gary, IN. There was a long line inside and first I thought that was due to not enough staff on hand. I learned that the computers were down and after that was rectified the pumps went down. I wasted close to an hour there before going to another truckstop where I was able to get fuel immediately. Diesel in Indiana was $2.539/gallon (lowest on the trip) but at the first place in Illinois it was $3.039 (highest I saw on the trip).

The temporary flaps almost came off in southern Wisconsin after hitting one bump too many and/or an unusually rough stretrch of road. It turned out I was not going to deliver truck on Friday so I had a long layover ahead of me in Tomah, WI.

I spent quality time with friends in Tomah, WI and on Friday evening went to a Reformers Unanimous meeting at Tomah Baptist Church. Reformers Unanimous is a Bibical alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous and is not just for those who have problems with alcohol or drug use.

I discovered Culver's, a eating establishment that serves fast-food but is, in my opinion, much better in service and food quality than all or nearly all the other fast-food restaraunts I've been to so far. Their Butterburgers were very good, their french fries were more than acceptable and the shake I ordered was a true masterpiece. I ordered a combination of Chocolate, Mint and Marshmellow and it was done as requested. Well done, Culver's!

On Sunday morning I attended Sunday School and church at Tomah Baptist Church. This was the beginning of a Mission's Conference that was to last through the following Wednesday. I heard a missionary raising support to go to Zambia during Sunday School followed by a missionary raising support to go to South Korea during the regular church service. After church I proceeded to Rochester, MN and was taken to Rochester Baptist Church for Sunday evening service.

Monday saw me deliver truck at Dodge Center and then I spent almost 8 hours waiting for the next one. I finally got the next truck going back to Burlington, ON just before the place closed.

Trip: Dodge Center, MN to Burlington, ON 864 paid miles Routes: US14 to
US52 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 290 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 69 to Bluewater Bridge to Ontario 402 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 403 Maximum elevation: at least 1,006 feet

Because of the long wait for the truck I was hungry and tired so I made it only to Rochester, MN where I went to the Pizza Hut and downed a Medium (12 inch) Pepperoni Pizza with no trouble. Following day it was 24F when I woke up. I had rain, some heavy, as I approached the Chicago area and thunderstorms the following morning delayed my departure from Battle Creek, MI. The rain quit by the time I got to Lansing. The border crossing took about 45 minutes as I had to see the broker then I proceeded to Burlington where I dropped the truck off.

Trip: Burlington, ON to Dodge Center, MN 864 paid miles Routes: Ontario 403 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 402 to Bluewater Bridge to Interstate 94 to Interstate 69 to Interstate 96 to Michigan 6 to Interstate 196 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 290 to Interstate 90 to US52 to US 14
Maximum elevation: at least 1,006 feet

I got another cab and chassis for Dodge Center, MN and the people at this location did a much better job of securing the temporary flaps as opposed to the previous time when I picked up in London, ON. However the vibrations were much more pronounced when the road had any roughness whatsoever so at time it seemed like organs inside my body were sloshing around.

The border crossing back to the USA went without a hitch and the following morning there was some light rain and drizzle which quit by the time I reached Lansing. There was some fog close to Lake Michigan. On Sunday there was record heat and I felt like I was in Florida. It got up to something like 78F in Chicago and I saw clouds building in various areas and there was a severe thunderstorm watch. Sunday evening I was taken to Faith Baptist Church in Portage, WI for evening service. I spent Monday night in New Lisbon, WI and saw lightning in the distance. There was some rain after I arrived but the worst of the weather was farther north and west.

Monday saw record heat for the area and I wore a short sleeved T-shirt and had to use the air conditioning. I later heard it got up to 81F at MSP. That afternoon saw me deliver in Dodge Center. I refrained from booking an air ticket home earlier because I was told there would be a truck going to SK. Furthermore I knew stuff could happen and louse up even the best plans. Otherwise I could have reserved a seat on Sun Country for $125.40 from MSP to LAX nonstop. After delivery I was told the truck to SK was not available so I rang Sun Country and was told the lowest fare on that flight was now $260.40. I met another driver who was going to MSP and he offered to allow me to ride with him and split the fare. I was going to do so but got a call saying there was going to be a truck going to Edmonton, AB the next day.

I got a room at the Americinn in Kasson, MN (closest lodging to Dodge Center) and the next day the truck was not available though I was led to believe it was going to become available at any time. I ended up spending a second night at the same location and on Wednesday I found out why the truck was not available yet (the customer where it is going has not paid for it yet so the shipper won't release it) and realised it could be a long time before it becomes available so I elected to fly home.

I got on the Internet and found the lowest fare to LGB on US was $917. NW wanted something like $714 for its nonstops to LAX. Other airlines wanted in the $mid-400s or higher for airports closer in but Sun Country had $275.40 to Palm Springs so I figured that would be the best option even with a one-way car rental to get home. I had already booked a one-way car rental "just in case" so I booked the air ticket and someone from Rochester Baptist Church graciously took me to downtown Rochester where I caught the Rochester Direct up to MSP. It was a rainy day and rain was forecast for almost a week.

I got to the Humphrey Terminal at MSP, checked in and was offered an upgrade to F for $75. I decided to pass as this trip was costing enough already but was able to snag an exit row seat. My bags were not weighed and I had to drop my checked bags off at the screener. It took about 20 minutes to clear security due to the length of line but I was not selected for secondary nor were any of my carry-ons searched.

Sun Country #273 MSP-PSP B-737-800 Seat 13F Exit Row Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 3:11, actual 3:10. Scheduled departure 16h30, actual 17h16 Scheduled arrival 18h00, actual 18h41 Ticket cost: $275.40

This was my first time flying Sun Country and also the first time to PSP. The plane was late arriving from its previous city. Preboarding was called then First Class, those in their VIP programme and those in exit rows were invited to board first. My exit row looked like it had more seat pitch than First Class. The seats in F and Y were leather but the seats in Y did not have adjustable headrests. Configuration was 12F/150Y and there were 4 F/A's. The plane was nearly full with at most a few seats open.

Pushback was 46 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 10 minutes and I was not sure the direction of takeoff. Following takeoff headsets were offered for $1 and pillow/blanket combination was offered for $7. IFE had 8channels, none of which caught my interest. We were above the main cloud deck by 0:05 and seatbelt sign went off at 0:08.

There was a drink run and I got cup of ginger ale. At 1:03 seatbelt sign went back on due to anticipated turbulence. A smallish hot chicken BBQ sandwich was offered and accepted and cookie was offered to some pax but not me. There was another drink run. I thought the quality of the sandwich was medicore at best but at least it was free which is better service than all the major airlines except CO. There were some bumps and I saw some thunderheads then the seatbelt sign went back off at 1:27.

At 2:23 the F/A's came through and offered a mint and a cup of water. Descent started at 2:48. There were clouds almost all the way until close to the end of the flight. Seatbelt sign went on at 2:51. I saw what looked like the Kelso Dunes and later the eastern part of the Morongo Basin (29 Palms area). Out the left I could see the Salton Sea. There were a fair amount of bumps on descent. We flew over the Little San Bernardino Mountains and then I saw Interstate 10 and the Coachella Valley. Gear went down at 3:06 and we landed basically from east to west. Taxi was 5 minutes and we arrived 41 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway. It took awhile for my bags to arrive, first bag arrived at 19h17 and last one at
19h18. In the meantime I visited the rental car desk.

After I retrieved my bags I took the shuttle to Enterprise where I was greeted and shown the car. I drove home and the following day returned the car to the agreed upon location.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; May 8, 2007 at 10:12 pm
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:20 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Always enjoyable to read. Keep them coming.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Culvers

We discovered Culvers on our midwest sojourn a couple of years ago and I wish they were this far west. They have the best soft serve I have ever had.

Really enjoy your trip reports.

ab53
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's called frozen custard, daggone it!! Nah, anyways, good trip report and congrats to all for discovering the Wisconsin goodness that is Culver's... ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.