Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk Trip Reports Photo Contest!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FlyerTalk Trip Reports Photo Contest!

Welcome to the first FlyerTalk Trip Reports Photo Contest!

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE CONTRIBUTING YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS

The theme for this first competition is “Urban Streetscapes”.

Nowhere else in the world is there a group of people so well traveled, so articulate, and so creative as we have here at FlyerTalk. You have collected millions of images from around the world and now is your chance to show them off.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join in the fun. Photographic composition is in the mind and eye of the photographer, not the equipment used. If you think your photograph is special, well, so do we!

The rules are simple:

1) Images must have been taken by the poster who links to them.

2) FlyerTalk does not have space to host images, but there are a number of free image hosting services on the web that will serve.

* See the Wikipedia page on photo sharing for a list of options, or use your own ISP.

3) You may submit up to two photographs per contest, one image per post (for the polling/voting process). Photos may be changed at will up to the end of the submission period. At the end of the submission period, the thread will be locked. The first contest will run for 15 days from today - until 6:00pm Pacific Daylight Time on March 25, 2007

4) Post-Processing - Nothing that substantially changes the image is allowed. Basically, what you see through your viewfinder is what we want to see. Digital cameras inherently post-process the images they record, so additional processing to modify contrast, sharpness, color balance, render B&W, etc is acceptable. We just don’t want to see Randy Petersen appearing in your shot of the The Champs-Élysées unless he was actually there. Alternatively, if Randy –was- there, you should not remove him to make the image more attractive That once-in-a lifetime shot of an Alaska Airlines Airbus A380 in flight would also be out-of-bounds.

5) Images may be at most 800 pixels along the largest dimension and a maximum of 200K in size. Most photo editing programs have a function that allows the creation of web-friendly images. If your source material allows, make your postings as large as possible without exceeding the posted limits. If you have questions about this, please contact birdstrike by PM and I’ll try to provide answers.

6) Copyright remains with the photographer. However, per the FlyerTalk FAQ:

Who owns my post?

For the sake of simplicity, we'd say that we own anything posted on FlyerTalk. Our reasoning is that we have the power to edit or delete any post if we, representing the community, find it provides more harm than value to FlyerTalk. Also, if a member decides they no longer want to participate in the community, we would find it difficult to go into the database and delete each post an individual had made. Excerpts from posts to FlyerTalk may appear in InsideFlyer magazines, books, or other materials.
I interpret this to mean that FlyerTalk can delete any images found offensive and can use the low-res images provided for the contest in any non-exclusive, FlyerTalk-specific fashion. Everything else remains yours.

7) At the end of the contest period, the photo posting thread will be locked and a separate thread will be created for voting. The image with the most votes at the end of the voting period will be declared the winner. The polling period will last for 1 week at which time a winner will be announced.

Voters will be asked to choose between the submitted images based on the entries visual appeal, artistry, composition, and aptness to the theme of the contest

Images can be inserted in Trip Reports posts by clicking on the "Insert Image" icon (small mountain on a yellow background) and adding the URL of the image to be displayed. Please add a brief title to your images to make tallying the votes easier. If you have been a lurker, and are now a new poster, images may not appear immediately, contact birdstrike with questions.

If you are using Photobucket: When looking at your Photobucket album, below the current image on the left side of the screen, there are three links. One is for URL link, the next is for HTML tag, and the third is for IMG code. Click on the IMG code button to get the link that you need for FlyerTalk images. You can just paste that link straight into your post. There is no need to click on the IMG tag button in FT, but it won't hurt if you do.

If you can not see the images in the thread: Go to My FlyerTalk/Edit Options and check "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)"

That will let you see everything in-line as it was designed to be shown.

This months first prize will be any single item chosen from the FlyerTalk store here or here. and is sponsored by birdstrike. Second prize will be five FT luggage tags. Third prizes will be three FT luggage tags.

The theme for this first competition is “Urban Streetscapes”. Pretty much anything shot on a city street is fair game. Your fellow FlyerTalkers are the ultimate judges.

Enjoy, and let the photos fly!

birdstrike (recusing himself from this first competition)

Sample Image (This image is for sample purposes only and will not be part of the competition).

Zurich by ms. birdstrike

:-: Many thanks to our moderators, B747-437B and onedog, for volunteering the additional work this contest will require! :-:

Please send your thoughts on future competition themes to birdstrike. I'd like to see this as an ongoing part of the Trip Reports experience.

If you would be interested in a new FT forum on travel related photography and techniques, please join the TalkBoard Topics discussion-in-progress here.

Last edited by birdstrike; Mar 19, 2007 at 8:36 pm
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for doing this, birdstrike.

Just to get things rolling, I'll enter this shot taken in Copenhagen (though I'm going to go through my images and see if I can find something that I haven't already shown publicly). By the way, I love your Bern photo.

Copenhagen Street

Last edited by PTravel; Mar 25, 2007 at 9:28 am Reason: Make picture comply with the rules
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
"London at Midnight"

© 2004 IceTrojan

Last edited by IceTrojan; Mar 12, 2007 at 10:30 pm Reason: Photo added
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

"Urban Flow" (Indianapolis)

© 2003 IceTrojan

Last edited by IceTrojan; Mar 12, 2007 at 10:44 pm Reason: Photo added
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome! Spread the word. I'm looking forward to a spirited competition
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:04 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Here is my entry, a photo I took when I went to Washington DC, the Eternal Flame

Simple, but I like it
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Taken just before Christmas, December, 2004.

Chukagai-dori, Chinatown, Yokohama, Japan

Last edited by hoyateach; Mar 13, 2007 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
My second submission is a symbol of spring and its promise. Picture of Jet d'Eau taken from Promenade de l'Observatoire opposite the Museum of Art on Rue Charles Galland, Geneva, Switzerland.

Jet d'Eau

Last edited by hoyateach; Mar 11, 2007 at 9:55 pm
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Question: Would a photo that was made B&W (and no other processing) by Photoshop still qualify?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Question: Would a photo that was made B&W (and no other processing) by Photoshop still qualify?
I would say so. Many digital cameras are capable of rendering an image into B&W as part of the capture process.

Film cameras, of course, can be loaded with B&W film. I don't want to restrict the competition to only digital cameras, so scanning prints or transparencies into digital format is perfectly fine as well.

I don't think post-processing into B&W would violate what I see as the spirit of the competition.

Since this is the first FlyerTalk thread of this type (That I'm aware of), we're still feeling our way. One reason why I have recused myself from the competition is to be able to address questions like this without bias.

On another point, I see we have strayed a bit from the 800 pixel max dimension and 200K size requirement. I'm inclined to think that is OK unless some image is so large that it forces the thread into horizontal scrolling mode. To a point, bigger images look better so I want to keep the photos to roughly similar sizes.

We also have members on low-bandwith links and we need to respect their needs as well.

Great photos so far folks!!

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited by birdstrike; Mar 11, 2007 at 10:42 pm
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:11 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Roadside repairs, downtown Bukhara, Uzbekistan, ca. 1975.

Many thanks to all for a fun idea and a welcome addition to FT!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:52 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Sadhus: Hampi, India

taken in Hampi, India
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
First of my two submissions:

Fabric sellers in Chichicastenango, Guatemala.

Edited, it should now be 800x600. (It may take a few hours for photobucket to catch up, or maybe you just need to clear your cache!?)

Last edited by OttoMH; Mar 12, 2007 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Second submission

Revolution Day Parade, San Christobal de las Casas, Mexico, 2005.

Last edited by OttoMH; Mar 12, 2007 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OttoMH
First of my two submissions:

Fabric sellers in Chichicastenango, Guatemala.
Otto, please edit your photo to at least come close to the parameters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.