Reload this Page >

Trying to leave BKK during a coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to leave BKK during a coup

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:42 pm

Just had to add that the title of the OP's story slays me: " 'Trying' to leave BKK during a coup" as though he was trying and failing, trying again,...dammit so dangerous here with the bullets flying...let me try again...OK, folks, I'm OK now...I made it out of the warzone...
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billp
Why all the drama?
What drama? Are we talking about the same thread here? The OP's first two posts on this thread were pretty calm - no panicking, no drama. About the only thing he said was that he wanted to leave to be on the safe side. That doesn't sound "dramatic" to me.

Originally Posted by Flyguy1971
I do have to repeat the question: Why the drama?
I have to repeat my question as well: what drama?

Originally Posted by billp
...but what I found absurd was reporting on it as if he barely made it out by the skin of his teeth,
Where did you read this? Can you link to the trip report you're talking about, because it sounds a lot more exciting than the uneventful, unemotional one I read.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ak333
I'll quote what the woman checking out next to me said this morning "I've been in many countries as a visitor when coups have broken out. It's always best to leave for a little while so things settle." If that's cutting an running so be it.
That seems reasonable, but I see where the first posts could seem dramatic to those who have been through this a few times.

Anyway, I want to welcome all the newcomers in this thread to FlyerTalk. Hope you'll stick around, and look around at the other forums here; you'll find its a great place, with a wide range of info and perspective. And perhaps add your own trip reports.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
All the commentary and pictures I've seen show infantry / cavalry troops carrying unloaded assault rifles. Only the guys going over the walls around government buildings, and standing outside at their gates had magazines loaded. Who knows, maybe they didn't even have ammunition in them.

What is the gun crime like in BKK though? Could easily explain gunshots, if it wasn't just something else that sounded similar.

Kagehitokiri-san, you might be thinking of DC or possibly Manila

by the way, today is the start of the first weekend after the coup and the traffic and tourist crowds are even worst than normal...high tourist season (roughly Oct/Nov through April) is creeping up....

Last edited by B747-437B; Sep 23, 2006 at 10:14 am Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:31 am

it is normal and completely understandable for a visitor to want to leave on short order if they heard a military coup was in progress in a country they were visiting...so please be understanding & not so critical

but I agree that the international media CNN and to a slightly lesser degree BBC, really made it look and sound much worst than it was (and just showed upclose pictures of army carriers and guns immediately around government house (which to be honest is away from sight, sound or even knowledge of 99% of everyone going about their daily lives)...

I got dozens and dozens of emails from family and overseas friends and even clients asking me to leave because of 'immediate danger to my safety'....I had to send LOTS of reassuring emails (and started to cut and paste the same message)...I can only imagine what they were seeing on TV.....

I am speaking frankly to say that the real danger here is the traffic (car and motorcycle accidents and ped accidents now that is pretty chaotic and dangerous (especially if you are used to driving in California) but that is not very interesting to the media or even my friends or family....but ironically thats where the real danger is and no one sending me an email message on that... )
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Let me provide another point of comparison. In January 1994 I was living at what became the epicenter of a 6.6 earthquake in Southern California.

Now, looking back, it was clear that, aside from some structural failures and some tragic deaths, the damage was not specifically dangerous.

However, in the darkness of that morning, where we were, it wasn't nearly as clear. What we knew was that our area had no power or running water, that some major streets were flooded with water from broken mains, and, punctuating the darkness was a large fireball that rose in the sky when a broken gas main was ignited. I'll admit that my first thought was to see which was the wind was blowing -- thinking of the Oakland firestorm of a few years earlier.

Our home suffered significant structural damage as did the surrounding homes. Fortunately we had a truck in the driveway, as we couldn't get vehicles out of the garage.

As dawn came and the redio reports became more comprehensive, and we were able to talk to people (relaying messages through my brother in Kansas, as it was actually much easier to get a long distance connection than a local one), and we realized that the majority of great damage (I-10 aside) was confined to a small area around us, things returned to a sense of normalcy. Odd, but normal.

However, those intervening couple of hours certainly gave a distorted view -- but none the less stressful. For many of us, a lack of situational awareness is very stressful.

Steve
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Trajan
I am speaking frankly to say that the real danger here is the traffic (car and motorcycle accidents and ped accidents now that is pretty chaotic and dangerous (especially if you are used to driving in California) but that is not very interesting to the media or even my friends or family....but ironically thats where the real danger is and no one sending me an email message on that... )
Actually, Trajan it's funny that you mention that. As I was headed north on the expressway to Don Muang, southbound was backed up by a multiple car/motorcycle accident.

I did have to explain to my wife (who has been to BKK before as well) that my hotel was nowhere near where all the "festivities" were occuring, and that explains why I didn't see any military vehicles at the time.

According to today's Bangkok Post, Thaksin's wife did not leave the country after all; this could make things more interesting.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:15 am

I have removed a number of comments from this thread that either deal with political commentary or personal attacks. Neither of these are acceptable on Flyertalk. Any further violations may result in escalated action taken against the offenders.

Thanks
Sean (B747-437B)
Trip Reports
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ak333
Actually, Trajan it's funny that you mention that. As I was headed north on the expressway to Don Muang, southbound was backed up by a multiple car/motorcycle accident.

I did have to explain to my wife (who has been to BKK before as well) that my hotel was nowhere near where all the "festivities" were occuring, and that explains why I didn't see any military vehicles at the time.

According to today's Bangkok Post, Thaksin's wife did not leave the country after all; this could make things more interesting.
yes, we will have to see how everything turns out, but things look a bit optimistic right now ^ yesterday His Majesty, the King formally endorsed Gen. Sonthi and the entire Council, which will undoubtedly unite all and sundry factions...His Majesty is highly revered, respected and loved by everyone

when you get the chance come back and visit the new airport (which is opening soon) and Amazing Thailand
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:50 pm

I have a friend that was stationed at a USAF base in Thailand, '70s. He was in Bangkok when tanks rolled in and began firing! Bloodless coups can turn bloodly in an instant.

We don't know yet how close other army units were to fight back. The talks with the other army units were still ongoing when the OP made the decision to leave. The junta could have easily closed Thai airspace at any time. They have already closed the borders with Burma and Laos.

The OP was there on a biz trip that was cut short by the coup. Why stay? Better to leave and see what happens with the police and military leaders.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:40 pm

Mmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by glob99
I have a friend that was stationed at a USAF base in Thailand, '70s. He was in Bangkok when tanks rolled in and began firing! Bloodless coups can turn bloodly in an instant.

We don't know yet how close other army units were to fight back. The talks with the other army units were still ongoing when the OP made the decision to leave. The junta could have easily closed Thai airspace at any time. They have already closed the borders with Burma and Laos.

The OP was there on a biz trip that was cut short by the coup. Why stay? Better to leave and see what happens with the police and military leaders.

Well, I suppose that if someone had no clue about the USA, I can see the same happening

" I was in washington on a business trip and the USA declared war on Iraq / saddam, it was so scary, there were pictures on CNN about tanks and troops being shipped out. I did not bother to check out, put $1000 on the receoption desk and said " i am outta here", and took a limo to the airport. There was a bad jam, not sure why, but I suspect it was all the tanks too........... " .

Point is, if you dont understand the country and context, you can make a clap of thunder out of a fart.... after all, that how news papers sell in the first place !
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:57 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well suppose the OP isn't the only one who left. From popb!tch weekly digest:

Upside to Thai coup: it interrupted Nic Cage's new
movie. Cage got a private jet and persuaded the
producers of Bangkok Dangerous to send everyone home.
Personally I don't blame the OP for wanting to leave. You never know how these things can pan out.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by flysas
maybee the 'gunshots' u heard was a tuk tuk backfireing, a very usual occurance in Bangkok
This had me LOL'd

Anyway .. glad you made it home safe.

Personally, I would carry on with my vacation as if everything is normal. I won't want my vacation to be ruined and shortened because of it
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
This had me LOL'd

Anyway .. glad you made it home safe.

Personally, I would carry on with my vacation as if everything is normal. I won't want my vacation to be ruined and shortened because of it
If it was a vacation, I would have done something different; I would still have left (I still think that I made the right decision, even though my Thai friends are razzing me), but I would at least go somewhere else other than directly home.

I am headed back to Asia in three weeks, this time to the "safety" of Singapore.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I think you did the right thing... one, if nothing else to make your family and loved ones feel better.

Better safe then sorry... in cases where you might be stuck for good.

If I had been in your spot 20 years ago I would have most likely stuck it out. Now with a wife and kids, why chance it?

As for those here on FT giving you a hard time... meaning, those with under five posts, I doubt they will make it to 10 posts since they apparently only came on to give you a hard time. (Trolls...)

IMO, those Thais or people living in Thailand who are poking fun give me a more negative picture of the place then hearing about the coup did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.